Post-Game Talk: Laine TKO over Matthews - Jets Win 5-4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier or not, but Beyak's call on 1290 of the OT winner was a transcendent moment. He completely lost himself, voice breaking apart as he screamed Laine's name. My username and avatar was always just a silly joke, but he burned that goal into my memory forever, I think.

Was a great call there at the end.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Not getting enough credit - Hutch. He outplayed Andersen and this script would be 180 degrees the otherway had the number 1 pick scored on that breakaway - caused by Laine getting burnt defensively by the way. Well done Hutch.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier or not, but Beyak's call on 1290 of the OT winner was a transcendent moment. He completely lost himself, voice breaking apart as he screamed Laine's name. My username and avatar was always just a silly joke, but he burned that goal into my memory forever, I think.

I kept listening to the Beyak audio today and made me smile each time. Absolutely awesome. :yo:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
That's the kind of call that'll come up even long after Laine retires, and especially if he ends up in the HOF, iconic goal and an equally iconic call.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Not getting enough credit - Hutch. He outplayed Andersen and this script would be 180 degrees the otherway had the number 1 pick scored on that breakaway - caused by Laine getting burnt defensively by the way. Well done Hutch.

Hutch stunk the first half of the game. That goal along the ice was bad, and the one where he was flopping like Pavs was worse, he couldve slid across laterally instead of thinking the guy would shoot from the corner.
He did make the clutch and timely saves tho in the third and OT. But our goalies need to be better than that, And I know Helly will be.
If that was Pavs in net he'd be ripped on this site.

Last edited:

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I said this when we drafted Laine.

Beyond Excellent!

Congrats Laine and welcome to the PEG!

My thoughts:

Laine is going to have a chip on his shoulder whenever he plays against the Leafs hopefully one day Laine gets to play against TO for the cup and puts to bed who TO should of really picked!

Go Laine Go

Go Jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Late post:

So not quite 24 hours after the game and I am still buzzing. We have not had a win that has impacted me for this long before and not just the glow of a game win but more the glow of something bigger (more on that later)

The reason Buff is looking a little loose is that when we get down by 2 goals Buff tries to do too much himself and he starts taking bigger and bigger chances. I don't blame him because he feels the obligation and weight but sometimes the harder you try the worse it gets.

Connor is having trouble figuring out how to impose himself but its early. Unlike Petan in his first tour last year when Nic looked overwhelmed by the game Kyle is different. He looks Scheif draft +1 week on the board battles and puck battles and positionally he looks like he has to think too much and he has his work cut out for him. However, I am seeing things on offence I do like. Keeping it real its not happening yet but when I watch Kyle I see highly skilled lock smith who is trying to pick a really tough new lock for the first time. He is progressing through different combinations and although he is getting closer he is not achieving his goal yet. Honestly if he just discovers the combination and it clicks he will be off and running with that part of his game. Kyle has speed but unlike Ehlers who uses it allot Kyle prefers to get to warp speed less often. He likes a more nuanced attack and some of it is driven my knowing his line mates and using them. This will take a bit of time but I don't think he is miles off on the attack. Still think he is 60-40 odds to stay up with the parent club.

The entire team were really sloppy for too much of the first two periods. Countless break downs, turnovers, and missed assignments. All a part of a team trying to get use to each other......ITS A PROCESS.

So how about Hutch embracing the heritage classic theme and channelling his inner 80's Oilers Grant Fuhr and not giving up that backbreaking 5th goal :sarcasm:. keep the 5th out, slam the door, and let your highly skilled offensive team come back. He was absolutely lights out after his 2nd goal (he had zero chance on either of the PP goals).

make no mistake having hot goaltending between now and American Thanksgiving will be critical if we want to keep in the hunt.

Scheif was at his seasons best and very dangerous last night.

Leafs have some really really talented young players and last night feels like the beginning of a serious rivalry. I know Leaf fans have bigger long term rivalries with Ottawa and Montreal but there is a situational rivalry developing where our prospect bases are just too similar and then the Matthews Laine debate was/is the tipping point.

I PVR'd the game and was watching it downstairs and after the 1st Laine goal I smiled and thought ok even if we get beat that is a moral victory for Pate to score. Then all of sudden before our eyes Patrik just turned into NHL version of last seasons Finnish MVP Playoff Patrik and he elevated. We started seeing the NHL version of that dominant kid from the youtube mixes with the hockey Nascar uniform minus the sweet flow. Then there was the timing of it all.......the hockey world was tuned in for round 1.......all the people in town for the Heritage classic.....all the old Jets in the box......Spotlights bright.......and the kid who is overflowing with confidence delivers a night for the ages.

I think part of my bliss is that I moved to Winnipeg the freakin season after Temmu's rookie year. I never got a chance to live that season out and everyone tells me how amazing it was and I kind of feel like I got a taste of that magic last night.

We are giving up 4 goals a game so why so cheery and chesty you might say? Because the year we made the playoffs it didn't happen right away.....there was a slow build but Hutch's insane run pre allstar break kept the team in it and as the year went along they established an identity and began to believe.This current rag tag group is full of holes but we are overflowing with talent too. We now have two pretty crazy comeback wins under our belt and there is a small chance we can start believing in ourselves and get some momentum? For that to happen we will need out of body goaltending until we figure out how to break out of our zone or defend :laugh:. I have zero expectations but who knows.

Mostly I just love having a star player in the fold. I yearn for making memories with my family and all the other Jets fans and this kid feels like he has the it factor whatever "it" is? I don't see the playoffs this season but I do see the beginning of something special.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Sniff, it was a thing of beauty. It was like listening to Rod Black call a touchdown play against the Bombers. Just pure. raw unbridled emotion.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Henkka on Jatkoaika posted some stats he compiled for this game for each player so I figured I'd post them here. All credit to him.

Code: Goals+Assists+Quality chances+All chances+Generated quality chances+All generated chances+Screening+Other offensive play+Other defensive play

LW Matthias, 0+1+1+3+0+1+0+1+0 = 7
C Lowry, 0+0+0+0+2+3+4+0+1 = 10
RW Tanev, 0+0+1+1+0+1+0+0+0 = 3

LW Laine, 3+0+4+9+0+3+0+2+0 = 21
C Scheifele, 1+2+2+3+2+6+2+5+0 = 23
RW Wheeler, 0+0+1+3+3+6+5+0+0 = 18

LW Ehlers, 0+1+0+2+2+5+0+0+1 = 11
C Perreault, 0+0+3+3+0+1+2+2+0 = 12
RW Stafford, 0+0+0+1+0+2+1+0+0 = 4

LW Connor, 0+0+1+3+0+0+0+0+0 = 4
C Burmistrov, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
RW Armia, 0+0+0+1+0+0+0+0+0 = 1

LD Enström, 0+0+0+3+0+1+0+0+2 = 6
RD Myers, 1+0+2+3+0+4+0+1+1 = 12
LD Morrissey, 0+1+0+2+0+2+0+0+0 = 5
RD Byfuglien, 0+2+2+4+4+6+0+0+1 = 19
LD Chiarot, 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+1 = 1
RD Postma, 0+0+0+0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2

He also mentioned that Laine was #5 on his team in these points behind Scheifele, Wheeler, Byfuglien and Perreault after the first two periods.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Henkka on Jatkoaika posted some stats he compiled for this game for each player so I figured I'd post them here. All credit to him.

Code: Goals+Assists+Quality chances+All chances+Generated quality chances+All generated chances+Screening+Other offensive play+Other defensive play

He also mentioned that Laine was #5 on his team in these points behind Scheifele, Wheeler, Byfuglien and Perreault after the first two periods.

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Appreciate these different takes on analyzing our players. It does confirm the eye test on Burmi last game. He really did do nothing.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hutch stunk the first half of the game. That goal along the ice was bad, and the one where he was flopping like Pavs was worse, he couldve slid across laterally instead of thinking the guy would shoot from the corner.
He did make the clutch and timely saves tho in the third and OT. But our goalies need to be better than that, And I know Helly will be.

Pav didn't start getting "ripped" on this site until he'd had about 2.5 full seasons of poor play. Both hutch and helly still have some grace period before they move into that territory - probably not nearly as much as Pav got though...

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Pav didn't start getting "ripped" on this site until he'd had about 2.5 full seasons of poor play. Both hutch and helly still have some grace period before they move into that territory - probably not nearly as much as Pav got though...

Hutch's time is running out pretty quickly, he's had chances and blown them more than once already. He's not the answer and is only here cause of expansion. Helly will be a stud and should be the guy playing a few games in a row here to get going.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Hutch's time is running out pretty quickly, he's had chances and blown them more than once already. He's not the answer and is only here cause of expansion. Helly will be a stud and should be the guy playing a few games in a row here to get going.

Yeah I'm not saying hutch is the answer. I just don't like the implication that we are treating hutch and helly better than pavelec was treated. We always note when either guy has a less than stellar outing...neither of them has quite settled in to pavelecian levels of poor performance though so yeah, most of us still have some patience for both.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

He would get ripped and rightfully so if it Pavs was in net and we all saw it for years he was the goalie allowing others teams to come back on us with his very frequent 3 rd period collapses.
I hope Pavs NEVER sees the Jet net

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
And let that be your lesson :sarcasm: There is always a reason to watch hockey. This isn't directed at you winnipegger, but IMO where the team is falling down (systems/defense/special teams) can be taught and learned. Talent you either have or you don't and this team has talent. Lots of it. I just don't get the avalanche of angst/despair/anger for such a young team and the throwing of darts at them moment by moment and play by play during a single game. Sure some of the worst players are a couple fading vets, but that isn't our future. Our future...the kids will be a roller coaster but one worth watching.

Spot on. Two years a go I was watching Finnish elite league game Tappara vs. Karpat (Laine wasn't there yet) with my dad. We were rooting for Tappara and about 3 minutes left they were trailing by two. My dad had to drive 230km to home (it was a Karpat home game in Oulu) and we both decided that we'll leave so he can get off before the traffic hits. So we left.

I got home and my dad calls me and asks me, "do you remember which one won?". Turns out, Tappara scored twice before the regulation was over and won at OT. I made a promise to myself then and there, I will never lose my faith in sports again. Anything can happen.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I just wanted to come in and congratulate the Jets on their comeback win against the Leafs, I also loved their comeback win over the Hurricanes. Jets are looking like the comeback kings of the NHL this year. Also I love watching Laine play you guys got a real awesome player in him. I hope you guys make the playoffs this year, laters.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Thanks for sharing. Interesting viewpoint. A bit surprised to see a 10 by Lowry. But not at all surprised to see the big fat zero by Burmi. Burmi was crap last year - crap this year too.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I just wanted to come in and congratulate the Jets on their comeback win against the Leafs, I also loved their comeback win over the Hurricanes. Jets are looking like the comeback kings of the NHL this year. Also I love watching Laine play you guys got a real awesome player in him. I hope you guys make the playoffs this year, laters.

The Jets, Oilers and Leafs are all in the early stages of turning things around. The Canadian teams are going to have some intense rivalries and some very exciting games in the next few years. Exciting times for all of us. :handclap:

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii
Thanks for sharing. Interesting viewpoint. A bit surprised to see a 10 by Lowry. But not at all surprised to see the big fat zero by Burmi. Burmi was crap last year - crap this year too.

Except this year we can't blame it on Burmi having Thor and some other no-named as line mates.
He's just bad all on his own.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I'll wrap up the PGT with my own observation.

I don't know what performance you guys were talking about. I saw a solid effort and consistent results from beginning to end.

Of course I was at the Air Supply concert.

You see, I reserved all four Jets - Leafs tix AFTER my wife and I got Air Supply tickets. The profit on the sale of said Leafs tix is not much of a consolation.

m.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Why?

Time seems to run out on every goalie we get here. They start off fine then deteriorate over time. Why is that? Could it have something to do with the owner hiring the goalie coach?

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Would you be more consoled if I told you that your 4 seats were occupied by Leafs fans who were quite unhappy at the end of the game? :laugh:

Unfortunately no.... Not being there for that comeback while keeping my seats Leaf-free outweighs the $$$. USD or otherwise....

m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad