Player Discussion: Laine (mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
You can’t just look at shot totals and draw the conclusion that his shot has regressed. Laine is not having the shooters mentality at this moment and is passing up on scoring chances when he is looking for the pass all the time. He still gets shots off, but the chances aren’t as many and as good as before, when he selfishly tried to bury it as soon as he had a clear view at the net and the puck on his stick. Now his first thought is ”I have to serve Chef or Connor”

But I don't get the feeling that it's 'I HAVE to feed ...." I think it's more along 'I WANT to feed ...."

Reactions: Razzle71

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You can’t just look at shot totals and draw the conclusion that his shot has regressed. Laine is not having the shooters mentality at this moment and is passing up on scoring chances when he is looking for the pass all the time. He still gets shots off, but the chances aren’t as many and as good as before, when he selfishly tried to bury it as soon as he had a clear view at the net and the puck on his stick. Now his first thought is ”I have to serve Chef or Connor”
I dont just look at his shot totals, I look at his SH% which has dropped from 18% his first 2 seasons, to 11.8% the next two including 7.7% the last calendar year.

His SOG and Shot attempt per game is roughly the same over his career as well. so on a per game basis he's getting off roughly the same volume of SOGs/CF but the conversion is down considerably.

No, I think he's deliberately trying to be a setup guy. I'm sure he will try to score when it's absolutely there, but if it's anywhere near a 50/50 chance, I think he's looking at setup first.

I love this new Patty. His goal scoring ability will always be there, I think it speaks volumes about him that he is taking the time to work on everything else this year, and doing a very good job of it.

His sh% has regressed the last 2 seasons and his shot/shot attempts per game has been roughly the same this year as his career. yes he's getting higher assist totals, not arguing that, but he's getting similar shooting volume per game as previous years but the finishing ability is down (sh%), and you think this is on purpose?

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I dont just look at his shot totals, I look at his SH% which has dropped from 18% his first 2 seasons, to 11.8% the next two including 7.7% the last calendar year.

His SOG and Shot attempt per game is roughly the same over his career as well. so on a per game basis he's getting off roughly the same volume of SOGs/CA but the conversion is down considerably.

His sh% has regressed the last 2 seasons and his shot/shot attempts per game has been roughly the same this year as his career. yes he's getting higher assist totals, not arguing that, but he's getting similar shooting volume per game as previous years but the finishing ability is down (sh%), and you think this is on purpose?

I have no idea what the quality of those chances were this year as opposed to other years. He certainly isn't getting many great passes on the PP anymore.

I'm sure that when he does shoot, he hopes to score. My only opinion is that he's enjoying growing the setup portion of his game.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg

His SOG and Shot attempt per game is roughly the same over his career as well. so on a per game basis he's getting off roughly the same volume of SOGs/CF but the conversion is down considerably.

Last year he was excoriated for being a one-dimensional shooter who didn't belong on the 1st line because his all-around play wasn't good enough. There's no way you can say that now. Take his goal yesterday for example, on a two-on-one it was the right play to try the pass to Scheif, but Laine was in a prime shooting position and the passing lane wasn't clear. I think he's choosing to pass first way more often so he can prove he's not one-dimensional and that he is the best choice to play with Scheif on the 1st line.
Plus, his back is probably still a bit wonky, I don't think I've ever seen a player's back twist quite the way his does when he takes a slapper, not surprised he has some issues.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Last year he was excoriated for being a one-dimensional shooter who didn't belong on the 1st line because his all-around play wasn't good enough. There's no way you can say that now. Take his goal yesterday for example, on a two-on-one it was the right play to try the pass to Scheif, but Laine was in a prime shooting position and the passing lane wasn't clear. I think he's choosing to pass first way more often so he can prove he's not one-dimensional and that he is the best choice to play with Scheif on the 1st line.
Plus, his back is probably still a bit wonky, I don't think I've ever seen a player's back twist quite the way his does when he takes a slapper, not surprised he has some issues.
never said he shouldn't belong on the top line this season so idk where that's coming from?

all im saying is his SH% has regressed quite a bit over the past 2 seasons. He's getting points via assists now which is great. As pointed above he's on pace for 240+ shots which is similar to his previous years, but the finishing ability is down.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
never said he shouldn't belong on the top line this season so idk where that's coming from?

all im saying is his SH% has regressed quite a bit over the past 2 seasons. He's getting points via assists now which is great. As pointed above he's on pace for 240+ shots which is similar to his previous years, but the finishing ability is down.
Didn't say you did, I think he is passing up opportunities where he would've shot in the past in order to set up linemates. His back is probably an issue as well. Similar amount of shots but physical issues and a much greater likelihood to pass rather than shoot when in a good scoring position is making his SH% less.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Not sure though he is on pace for 248 shots which is pretty equal to his last two seasons and more than his rookie season? His shooting % was insane over the first two seasons (17.6 and 18.3), it cooled off last season to 12.2% and this season it has dropped to 10.6%. He has never been a high volume shooter like Ovi he has relied on accuracy.

Would I like to see his shooting % heat up......yes......however I am personally more focused on his overall game and I really like where it’s trending. I don’t find him boring at all his offensive game is improving and I find him more exciting as a player now even though his shooting accuracy has cooled off a bit.
I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to see the Ovi 2 that we now won't see. That shot was that damn good. Ah well.

Reactions: teamfortheone

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to see the Ovi 2 that we now won't see. That shot was that damn good. Ah well.

I wouldn't give up on that completely but I think it will take on slightly different look. Patrik is going to keep growing and maturing his game and I firmly his shot will be featured more as time goes on IMO. Its still a lethal weapon and he is due to go on a heater again soon. For now we get to watch this kid cruise along a PPG pace while imposing his will more frequently on the other team.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
This reminds me of a movie "Unleashed/Danny the Dog" with Jet Li. I hope Maurice takes Patty's collar off soon and says Shoot! And when that happens, oh boy..
There's also Once Upon A Time In China And America and the wolf guy. But if we go past hongkong style movies, The Banquet has move makers not named Jet Li or Chow Yun Fat in a still overall progressive movie. (As if that was a criterion but anyway.) Okay, where were we? :snow:

I still want to see Laine as a shooter... Darn, maybe we don't disagree...

Reactions: karhukissa

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Everything will be ok.

:)

You say everything will be okay, then you follow up with March Or Die, and then you add a smiley that could be either of the above or something else. Have mercy and declare yourself. Or did you simply mean "get on with it, it'll be fine"? I could get behind that.

( #eggnogs #jouluglogia )

teamfortheone

Nov 4, 2019
A few quick thoughts:

Laine should quickly go on a scoring streak to show us all that he can still score like he used to. There are too many strange goals this season and too few blasts and wristers for us to say to ourselves he (the old Patty) is still there.

Although this is not a Connor thread, I can’t help thinking he (Connor) is reaping the rewards of Patty’s good overall play. I have never seen Connor set up Laine or even tried that. His defensive skills and board battles are weak. But since PoMo is refusing to switch him, say to MP (does anyone know about his condition by the way?), all Patty can do is make sure his overall play is as good as it can, because it’s gonna be Little/Lowry time for Patty if he played like Connor. I seriously think Connor is the biggest winner of Patty’s new style.

WTF has happened to our PP and how come we can’t fix it? Last game there was one pass from Pionk/Sbisa to Laine that was so slow I almost stopped watching the game immediately. Disgusting. My second favorite is having Patty stand in front of goalie. No wonder his shot is not quite there, because he’s not getting any passes. Previously, there used to be at least 1-2 blast attempts that missed or were saved before Patty nailed the one. It’s not like you can expect to hit a perfect golf drive without any warmup.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

I have no idea what the quality of those chances were this year as opposed to other years. He certainly isn't getting many great passes on the PP anymore.

I'm sure that when he does shoot, he hopes to score. My only opinion is that he's enjoying growing the setup portion of his game.

His shots and shot attempts on the PP are both down from last season:

shot attempts/60shots on goal/60iSCF/60
18-1939.5119.8612.33
19-2028.6612.878.77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
You say everything will be okay, then you follow up with March Or Die, and then you add a smiley that could be either of the above or something else. Have mercy and declare yourself. Or did you simply mean "get on with it, it'll be fine"? I could get behind that.

( #eggnogs #jouluglogia )

Only momentarily drunken, and thus more insecure I should be. Not going to waste a second for Christmas.

It is always bad thing. Profoundly. XD

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not saying anything to anyone, just my mantra of Laine. While I like goals. Team is winning even if it's a gritty showing. We rarely have like 20-1 games do we? Anyway. It's been written and said so many times at the time, what I've been saying (I'm no profet, you can be sure of that!), while Laine is the setup guy... it really makes him so harder to read. Tape to tape laser passes (I hope we would have move those players, though I saw some tic-tac-toe movement happening in PP), does him so dangerous since it's not anymore that the opponent just learns his patterns on shooting. Team game. No "I'm sure I'm gonna block this because he's always shooting", anymore.

Opens so many options if the team has a good chemistry line ups. Like probably now.

I'm not about the line up, but... Scheifele sure can bury Laine's passes. And even the power play. It's very easy to see that Patrik on the boards is more confident. And will... you knew it, can pass it to a defender to ease the situation if needed. In a way that it's not a panic mode pass.

Well that's just something I see. He's a new player. Same but different. Great for the future and now. His cookie cutter shot won't go away after a million practise shots. When in need. Now he's really making the opposition think him. You cheat on him? Make sure you are willing to pay the price.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
A few quick thoughts:

Laine should quickly go on a scoring streak to show us all that he can still score like he used to. There are too many strange goals this season and too few blasts and wristers for us to say to ourselves he (the old Patty) is still there.

I'd like him to say to the media....."I'm going to score for a couple of weeks, just to show you that I didn't forget", then go a scoring spree, then go back to being a setup guy.

Just to troll everyone :laugh:

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
A few quick thoughts:

Maurice should quickly go.

[Sorry for blatantly disregarding the rest of your thoughtful post. It was quite good.]

Reactions: teamfortheone

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Only momentarily drunken, and thus more insecure I should be. Not going to waste a second for Christmas.

It is always bad thing. Profoundly. XD
You're no Santa's Elves.

(How did you get out of the racket?)

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
You're no Santa's Elves.

(How did you get out of the racket?)

I did read about it. You really need some beers to comprehend The Original Father Christmas.

3341a5cb662a61287d08cd2554cc57f4.jpg

Reactions: Stubu

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Nah. Just trying to make a joke, considering various past and current debates and narratives.

It was what it was. Failed attempt to pass with some luck involved, legit goal resulted. :D

My bad, HFboards is dropping napalm on my reading comprehension :D

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I did read about it. You really need some beers to comprehend The Original Father Christmas.

Ah, you're a Satanist. Now it all makes sense.

Mind you, that's a Papist relic of thoughtsphere. The preceding pagan stuff didn't have the strict good/evil distinction. Although I wonder where "Piru" [the devil for you affable Canucks perhaps not so versed in Finnic silly folklore] came from then. It used to be more grayscale or multicolor before the Middle Ages and the religious pundits. :toothless

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

I only now noticed it's literally "joulu-pukki", "Yuletide Goat", aka Father Christmas and Santa Claus. Mind a little bit blown. Our silly little language is a freaking museum.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Nothing too interesting here, but since I had some spare time in the commute... Finnish tabloid interview of Laine, his direct quotes translated:

- After last season I thought by myself a lot, that I need to start working harder. That way I will be able to create more chances, and now that I'm forechecking more, I can force turnovers and that way create more chances for others.

- I'm more inside the game and not just waiting on the top of the circle for others get me the puck. Now I try to participate in that kind of work myself. That way I have got the points too.

- Partly the increase in assists is because of the better overall play. In previous seasons I have however scored so many goals, that the opposition now respects that and tries to prevent me harder. Usually then someone else is open, so I try to feed them.

- When I'm playing with two great goalscorers, I have to try to feed them too. Maybe I could shoot myself more from certain spots. I may sometimes opt for too fancy passes. I could be finishing in a more straightforward way.

(About pp)
- I've sometimes played at the middle of the pk unit too, but often they defend me so that I don't get the puck that much. Then someone else is left open and able to score. I'm a good decoy there.

(About goal totals)
- It just hasn't been going in, but I have been pretty satisfied with myself. I just have to find some new tricks for scoring. There's always room to improve. It's only 34 games played and 48 to go.

- I still have time to raise my hands in the air (to celebrate). The scoring ability is still there, I know how to score. Once I get a couple, the ketchup bottle will open.*

(* That metaphor isn't maybe used in English, but you get it, right?)

(About Luoto)
- It's been nice to have him as a friend here.

- I've lived with my mom and dad for the first three years, so it's a bit different when there's a friend who's my age and like me. You can do all kinds of things. We watch gaming*, movies and TV series. Whatever we feel like.

(* Like E-sports, I guess?)

(About PS)

- I've been playing a lot less. I don't play that much anymore. Sometimes on days off I play an hour or two, but not nearly as much as before. I've been trying to do some a bit smarter things.
(About Luoto living with him)

- I've said that he can stay as long as he wants to. He's always welcome.

- We'll see when he spreads his wings and flies away from the nest. But I'm not kicking him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad