Speculation: Laine Mega Thread V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Indeed. I think his work ethic is good. Some people forget that he is a big guy and he is doing his best with that body. He's not a Swiss army knife type of guy or jack of all trades but he does more than just goals and assists and has improved year by year how he plays with and without the puck.

I haven't been inside Winnipeg's locker room but my impression is also that he is a good locker room guy and if he critiques someone, it's himself. He may be little bit cocky in interviews but that doesn't reflect on how he is as a teammate.
Laine isn't good with the bland hockey player answer sometimes. I don't think He's wrong most of the time but maybe he shouldn't say somethings.

A couple examples. In his rookie year he said something to the effect of him making the PP work because look at how it performed the year before without him. He isn't wrong and wheeler should be giving him a million bucks for being the reason he got his contract. But you don't say that. He got put to PP2 for a while for that to the detriment of the team.

In his last contract negation it got out that he didn't think Little was a good centre. I don't think that was 100% what he meant. I think negotiations went something like Laine asked for Marner/Rantanen money. The Jets replied that he doesn't put up the offense that those two do. Laine said he doesn't get to play with a Matthews/MacKinnon level center he has Little. He's not wrong. But you can't let that part of the negotiation get out either.

Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Is there any concern in Winnipeg that Laine will sit out until he’s traded? If not, then don’t trade him.
Laine's agents spoke yesterday(?) about Laine.

This is from leBrun- TSN
" I reached out to his representation agents, Andy Scott and Mike Liut, to get some clarity and they absolutely deny that. That Laine has not asked for a trade, he’s not threatening to not be a camp if he’s not dealt."

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Guys like Fleury had more jam to their game than Laine has ever had. He uses his size almost as well as luminaries like Colborne and Jankowski. Big only matters if it's used, not if you sit on the dot waiting for a one timer.
Everything you say in this post and others before it tell us all pretty plainly that you don't watch this kid play hockey. That being the case, why are you so eager to teach us all about his game?

There are tons of Laine goals videos on youtube. Not only are they entertaining but you can see some of the other weapons he has. Or you could go find a game or two to watch and see him get loose pucks, backcheck, hit, fight and pass.

Reactions: hn777

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You may be of the false impression that the return for Laine will increase if the Jets hold on to him, despite the fact he as made it clear through his agents he would prefer to be moved.

Insider Trading: Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets remain poised to part ways - TSN.ca

From Murat Ates:

"
With the NHL returning to last season’s $81.5 million cap, teams are already finding it difficult to do business. Five teams are already over the cap maximum and will need to trim money before the season begins. Only 12 teams have $6.75 million in cap space this season, let alone the $7.5 million qualifying offer that represents the bare minimum for Laine in 2021-22.
Without a full complement of fans in the stands — and without a full, 82-game season — revenues are going down before they go up. I don’t expect the NHL to reduce its $81.5 million cap maximum but I can’t imagine a scenario in which it goes up.
Combine another $81.5 million cap maximum with reduced internal budgets as owners contend with lost revenues and next summer’s transaction market could take a major hit. The pool of teams who can afford to trade for Laine’s $7.5 million — or more, considering that he has arbitration rights — will be much smaller next summer than it is today"

The financial situation will get worse next offseason for potential trade partners, further limiting pontential teams and possible players coming back in return.
That's fine and all, but the point I'm making is if the Jets decide to move Laine and the offers are as pathetic as they are in this thread, then the Jets might as well just keep Laine for 2 years and trade him in the off-season before his last RFA year. We would still get the same return as has been offered here and will have had Laine for 2 years, which is better than just taking a crappy return now.

Laine for 2 years + crappy return from this thread is better than no Laine + crappy return, by trading him now.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
That's fine and all, but the point I'm making is if the Jets decide to move Laine and the offers are as pathetic as they are in this thread, then the Jets might as well just keep Laine for 2 years and trade him in the off-season before his last RFA year. We would still get the same return as has been offered here and will have had Laine for 2 years, which is better than just taking a crappy return now.

Laine for 2 years + crappy return from this thread is better than no Laine + crappy return, by trading him now.

Regarding maximum return of a player this NHL executive used Barkov as example.

"
Aleksander Barkov is two years away from unrestricted free agency and his value might not be higher than it is right now.
“Guys are always at their most valuable two years away,” said one exec. “If I had Barkov and I thought there’s no way he’s going to re-sign with me next summer, you get him out of there. You’d get a ton for him with two years left on his deal.”

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Regarding maximum return of a player this NHL executive used Barkov as example.

"
Aleksander Barkov is two years away from unrestricted free agency and his value might not be higher than it is right now.
“Guys are always at their most valuable two years away,” said one exec. “If I had Barkov and I thought there’s no way he’s going to re-sign with me next summer, you get him out of there. You’d get a ton for him with two years left on his deal.”
Two years of control left for Laine is next off-season. So, why are you panicking now? If the offers are as bad as they are in this thread, you just wait until next summer as the offers can't get any worse than this thread.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You may be of the false impression that the return for Laine will increase if the Jets hold on to him, despite the fact he as made it clear through his agents he would prefer to be moved.

Insider Trading: Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets remain poised to part ways - TSN.ca

From Murat Ates:

"
With the NHL returning to last season’s $81.5 million cap, teams are already finding it difficult to do business. Five teams are already over the cap maximum and will need to trim money before the season begins. Only 12 teams have $6.75 million in cap space this season, let alone the $7.5 million qualifying offer that represents the bare minimum for Laine in 2021-22.
Without a full complement of fans in the stands — and without a full, 82-game season — revenues are going down before they go up. I don’t expect the NHL to reduce its $81.5 million cap maximum but I can’t imagine a scenario in which it goes up.
Combine another $81.5 million cap maximum with reduced internal budgets as owners contend with lost revenues and next summer’s transaction market could take a major hit. The pool of teams who can afford to trade for Laine’s $7.5 million — or more, considering that he has arbitration rights — will be much smaller next summer than it is today"

The financial situation will get worse next offseason for potential trade partners, further limiting pontential teams and possible players coming back in return.
Wouldn’t all of these things also mean that Laine and other players would be forced to take lower contracts. Just like petro and hall this year.

Reactions: Easternbull

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's the bulk of it. Trade has to be mutually beneficial. I'm glad to read that Laine hasn't asked for a trade, though agents do put spin on things. I don't see any easy way around negotiations with Laine next year though, so the best the Jets can do is try to maximize his value. If teams are coming in with lowball offers, you hope that a full season between Stastny and Ehlers puts him back in superstar category. Which is advantageous for both Laine and the Jets.

Reactions: Snowman

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Laine isn't good with the bland hockey player answer sometimes. I don't think He's wrong most of the time but maybe he shouldn't say somethings.

A couple examples. In his rookie year he said something to the effect of him making the PP work because look at how it performed the year before without him. He isn't wrong and wheeler should be giving him a million bucks for being the reason he got his contract. But you don't say that. He got put to PP2 for a while for that to the detriment of the team.

In his last contract negation it got out that he didn't think Little was a good centre. I don't think that was 100% what he meant. I think negotiations went something like Laine asked for Marner/Rantanen money. The Jets replied that he doesn't put up the offense that those two do. Laine said he doesn't get to play with a Matthews/MacKinnon level center he has Little. He's not wrong. But you can't let that part of the negotiation get out either.
I get what you’re trying to say, but do you honestly think that Little believes he’s as good as MacKinnon or Matthews? Or is offended to hear someone say he’s not while in a contract negotiation? That was a nothing comment that got blown out of proportion.

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020
I get what you’re trying to say, but do you honestly think that Little believes he’s as good as MacKinnon or Matthews? Or is offended to hear someone say he’s not while in a contract negotiation? That was a nothing comment that got blown out of proportion.

Forget Little, do you actually think Pattie believes he's as good as MacKinnon or Matthews? His ego definitely thinks so but we both know those 2 players are on a level Pattie will probably never reach especially if he doesnt get a Center of his choosing. There's a reason he's ostracized in the dressing room and not on the first line - his shithouse, me first, only goals matter attitude.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Forget Little, do you actually think Pattie believes he's as good as MacKinnon or Matthews? His ego definitely thinks so but we both know those 2 players are on a level Pattie will probably never reach especially if he doesnt get a Center of his choosing. There's a reason he's ostracized in the dressing room and not on the first line - his shithouse, me first, only goals matter attitude.
Yeah I 100% think that Laine believes he is just as good as Matthews and that him not being used properly, has cost him points...and ultimately lots of money.

Yes the Jets can keep him for this year, but then you always run the risk of things becoming more toxic in the room and between the parties.

The fact that his agents are PUBLICLY saying that a trade would be beneficial to both, means they are trying to put pressure on Chevy to get things done. But I don't think Chevy will "cave"...I think if/when Laine is moved, he gets a very good deal and the fans of the other team won't like it.

Just my 2 cents.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I hope they can figure it out and he becomes a 50 goal scorer. In todays game, there are few players with the skill he has. Usually coaching weeds this out to focus on all around play, but I'm in the camp that wants to see super star players put up goals and highlight reel plays.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Source: Patrik Laine Will Be Traded. And The Isles Could Offer Up Barzal.

Talked to a source today who confirmed that while the Jets don't "have" to trade Laine, they have some offers right now that are pushing them closer and closer to the reality that the time to get the most return for Laine is now. The leading teams with interest are..Columbus, Philly, NJ, NY Islanders, Colorado and the Montreal Canadiens...

One deal I heard yesterday would send Barzal and a pick to Winnipeg for Laine...

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The shit trades that are being offered for laine are beyond pathetic.

Chevy won't move laine and especially for the shit offers on here. Lol

Threads like this are a huge waste of time.

Reactions: Snowman

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

You are right about the Bryan Little part and I did forget about that. That's one of the rare moments where he blamed his teammate. I understand his frustration and he might have been right but he shouldn't put his teammate down like that publicly. Later he talked with Little and apologized.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
In other words that's what I said. His Little comment wasn't reported with context.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The shit trades that are being offered for laine are beyond pathetic.

Chevy won't move laine and especially for the shit offers on here. Lol

Threads like this are a huge waste of time.
Just like the shit Trouba trade offers?

There was no rejoicing by Jets fans once that trade was announced...and yet it worked out well for the Jets. So maybe you just can't judge a trade on the day it was made when futures are involved.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Domi traded with a 3rd for a guy that had 4 points in 26 games last year.
Armia...jets had to include a 3rd and take back a crap player to get rid of him. Would have been waived with no takers otherwise.
Chiarot as 1 mill dman whose greatest talent was icing the puck, and the jets let walk even though they were losing trouba, Myers and buff. So not good enough as a 7/8 guy. Montreal gives him 3.5 mill and he sets the bar for what dmen standards. Drouin...sent the minors and knows the only team that is bad enough to play on is the habs. Tatar...tossed aside by detroit, benched by vegas...picked off the scrap pile by Montreal. Domi wasnt good enough for Arizona...gets to play in Montreal. Kovalchuk...benched by LA...scraps for to the habs. KK...so good he goes to the AHL and lights it up with 1 goal. Poehling 13 points in the AHL. McCarron outscored him down there. Better sit down cause the truth is scraps.
Old man yelling at clouds

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
HockeyBuzz.com - Eklund - Source: Patrik Laine Will Be Traded. And The Isles Could Offer Up Barzal.

Talked to a source today who confirmed that while the Jets don't "have" to trade Laine, they have some offers right now that are pushing them closer and closer to the reality that the time to get the most return for Laine is now. The leading teams with interest are..Columbus, Philly, NJ, NY Islanders, Colorado and the Montreal Canadiens...

One deal I heard yesterday would send Barzal and a pick to Winnipeg for Laine...
This is obviously made up. Why would NY make that offer? And if they did Winnipeg would have taken it and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad