Injury Report: Laine injury PANIC! PANIC! OH GOD PANIC! thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
So perhaps Enstrom has been playing with a fracture? Any others do you think?

Little?
Myers?
Wheeler?
Tanev?
Enstrom: quite likely. went from a limp (and a boot, if i recall) to playing. the good thing about a hockey skate is its stiffness. once you get your foot in a skate, you're not moving it anywhere.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, can you say over-analysing :D It was bad luck, nothing more. It can happen on every single play, there's always an injury risk. It's part of the game.

Of course it's a part of the game. All I'm saying is that there are different ways and styles to play the game, and players make a career out of playing to their strenghts. For guys like Hendricks or Tanev, their willingness to throw themselves in front of shots is a part of their game that keeps them in the lineup.

I think people are expecting players to play the game at that speed with way too much thought.

Most of what you do in the game is muscle memory or almost instinctual, you do it so much. It's about your passion, spirit and what you are taught to do, not thinking about every play before you do it. If you are doing that you are behind the play the entire game.

The guys who make a living of eating pucks usually face the shooter instead of turning sideways like Laine does. I've noticed him doing it before and it's something he needs to work on. Players are well protected on the front, but when they turn sideways, the shinguards and skates offer much less protection. I know that it's a fast game and Laine had bad luck, but he should do it right, or not do it at all. Look at guys like Jagr and Selanne – they played smart and rarely blocked shots. They were more useful in other areas of the game…

Reactions: GNP

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
C'mon Patty...what would Ovi do? No way he sits out with a bruise in the thick of a rocket race.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Ya me too , i wonder if Wallburg can lift his eyebrow like Lee Majors . :laugh:
I'm guessing this Wallburg-guy is also known as Marky Mark? Never heard that former nick before.
Oh, and to me anything over a week for Laine sounds unlikely. But as it was pointed out, a bruise CAN end up to amputation so...

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Hockey parents should address this at an early age. Strap the kid to a tree in full gear and blast pucks at him for hours. Eventually, Pavlovian conditioning takes hold and the natural instinct will be to face the shot head on.

See, maybe I should have had kids. :nod:

As opposed to Pavelecian conditioning where the natural instinct is to let the shot go past you.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
This short term injury is a blessing in disguise.... doesnt hurt the jets playoff position...and it will also force other Jets to step up.. too many games lately the Jets just relied on Laine to carry them.... it will also potentially save the Jets between 500k-1 million a year in cap space when its time to sign Laine to an extension. A rocket richard on his resume is defintely a contract booster.

Reactions: GNP and Tommigun

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah it’s good to get other guys going as well (looking at you Perreault), Little already found his game after Patty’s injury.

And agree with Rocket not really boosting salary, it’s a technicality more than anything. Would still have LOVED for Laine to get it though.

Reactions: GNP

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I think this injury sucks cause it makes it significantly less probable that we'll see him playing in Copenhagen in May.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
C'mon Patty...what would Ovi do? No way he sits out with a bruise in the thick of a rocket race.
Individual trophies mean [nothing].
A healthy Laine without the Richard is more desirable than an unhealthy one with the trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jets 31

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Just hoping that he doesn't miss a beat and is on fire when the playoffs start.

It's much funner to watch the playoffs than to cheer for an individual trophy. Regards, Oil/Jets fan...

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Well, not gonna watch the Ducks game live then, sleep in and watch later. Gotta stay out of the internet before, though. Get Well soon, Patrik!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad