Lafreniere Peak?

Lafreniere has arrive. How good can he be?

• Top 5 NHL Player

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Top 10 NHL Player

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Top 25 NHL Player

Votes: 40 17.9%
  • Top 50 NHL Player

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • 1st Line Player

Votes: 78 34.8%
  • 2nd Line Player

Votes: 45 20.1%

• Total voters

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
I like how everyone is just ognoring that he scored more goals than MacK through their first four years, with only 5 on the PP.

It’s going to make your crying delicious when Laf ks a hart finalist in 2 years.
One 57pts season playing with Panarin on the best team in the league and now the next hart winner.....

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
One 57pts season playing with Panarin on the best team in the league and now the next hart winner.....
Didn’t you even read the post you quoted?

4 years of outscoring nate mackinnon over same draft+ time, not one good year.

And two years from now being a finalist is not next year’s mvp.

This is a forum, based on text and words bud. If you can’t read maybe stick to tiktok.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Didn’t you even read the post you quoted?

4 years of outscoring nate mackinnon over same draft+ time, not one good year.

And two years from now being a finalist is not next year’s mvp.

This is a forum, based on text and words bud. If you can’t read maybe stick to tiktok.
Did you read my post? 57pts AND NOW THE NEXT HART WINNER.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's a great kid, I never gave up hope, I want to thanks Jesus and say hi to my special lady Marge! We did it baby whoo!! Whoo!!

Laffy's peak is on the moon baby!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Mostly even strength and you conveniently ignore that. And ignore the fact that most good players play with good players. Rantenen and Brayden Point must suck. Why is Lafreniere the only one singled out for playing with a good player?

Reactions: HolyHagelin

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Whatever, bookmarking this thread now.
Mostly even strength and you conveniently ignore that. And ignore the fact that most good players play with good players. Rantenen and Brayden Point must suck. Why is Lafreniere the only one singled out for playing with a good player?
Domi had 60ev pts with Mtl. Tatar had 50ev pts with Mtl. Are they superstar? I will not give imaginary pts because he didn't play on the pp1. He got 57pts. It's good and will get better. But Hart finalist?really? Can we slow down a not act like he just got 100pts

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
I would like to congratulate Lafrenière on scoring 57 pts on a stacked first line

At least he can say he's a superstar at EV strenght, amassing as many EVP than the likes of Travis Konecny, Duchesne, Nyqist, Verhaeghe.. etc

This surely mean he will be a hart trophy finalist in the next 2 years, being a better MVP than Panarin, Fox or Sheshtyorkin on his stacked team

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
He outscored MacKinnon’s fourth year this year.

MacK blew up into a hart finalist the following year.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
Colorado had 48pts and were -112 in goal differential that year. There are also other 1st round players from the 2020 draft that have outpaced Mack's first 4 seasons. I don't think this comparison provides much if any insight with regard to how good Laf can eventually be. Development isn't always linear.

Reactions: PainForShane

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Domi had 60ev pts with Mtl. Tatar had 50ev pts with Mtl. Are they superstar? I will not give imaginary pts because he didn't play on the pp1. He got 57pts. It's good and will get better. But Hart finalist?really? Can we slow down a not act like he just got 100pts

Not giving "imaginary points" but not acknowledging usage is called bias. 60 ES points is strongly first line production. I don't care if your name is Domi or Lafreniere. Besides Lafreniere is 22 years old so a little apples and oranges and obviously the prediction had some projection to it. And people trivialize him as a player this season because he's a 1st overall but ignore the flip end of it that there's a better chance than average that his ceiling is higher than the average prospect. That said I cringed hard when I read about him being a Hart Finalist in two years, way too early for that.

I would like to congratulate Lafrenière on scoring 57 pts on a stacked first line

At least he can say he's a superstar at EV strenght, amassing as many EVP than the likes of Travis Konecny, Duchesne, Nyqist, Verhaeghe.. etc

This surely mean he will be a hart trophy finalist in the next 2 years, being a better MVP than Panarin, Fox or Sheshtyorkin on his stacked team

Except you're being sarcastic but he was the second or third best forward at even strength on his stacked team this season. Only Panarin was clearly better at even strength than him. Maybe Trocheck too marginally.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, Panarin's line was not stacked when it was Jasper Fast, Colin Blackwell, and Dryden Hunt on his other wing. Saying that Lafreniere benefited from playing with Panarin and saying that Panarin had no benefit from having a good winger for a change on his best season in his career is disingenuous. People are just haters because they're invested in hating the kid and him sucking because you don't want to admit he's wrong. Hart proclamations are cringe AF but he's a bona-fide 1st line winger at 22 years old.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Comparing him to MacKinnon after four years doesn't work imo. MacKinnon is a huge outlier. He went from borderline bust to superstar.

I think most Rangers fans doubt he ever becomes MacK. But the point is players have different development curve. Laf was also a borderline bust, can he not become a great player that doesn't come close to a future first ballot HOFer? The thing that pisses Rangers fans off is that a large portion of people responding to these threads still act like he's a scrub.

Reactions: PainForShane

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Lafreniere's career trajectory could be a genuine feel-good story if he plateaus as a 1st liner for a good amount of time. You have a guy who was hyped ridiculously before being drafted and had some pretty high expectations. He faced a lot of scrutiny for a few years and likely struggled internally, but he kept his head down, paid his dues and finally grew into a top-line forward on a contending team. If the NYR win a cup in these next few years, it'll be a genuine motivational underdog story. I considered him a major disappointment prior to this season but I'm really happy that it's all coming together for him. He's never gonna be a game-breaking talent like other 1st overalls (Mackinnon, McDavid, Hughes, Bedard, etc.) but he doesn't have to be to have a successful career.

It's like getting a Volkswagen when you were promised a sports car. Not as flashy, but dependable and gets the job done.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sort of how I feel. He has been playing a heavy, puck possession game in the playoffs. Last game was the best player on the ice. But yea the lack of elite skating ability is what will hold him back from being a top 25 guy.

Panarin doesn't have elite speed. You don't need elite speed to be a top 25 player. He may well not get their but I don't think that's why.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Sort of how I feel. He has been playing a heavy, puck possession game in the playoffs. Last game was the best player on the ice. But yea the lack of elite skating ability is what will hold him back from being a top 25 guy.

Panarin doesn't have elite speed. You don't need elite speed to be a top 25 player. He may well not get their but I don't think that's why.
I don't know that his lack of speed will be as much of a deterrent but with it being top 25 or top 50 players not forwards is what will hurt him here. Too many good D and Goalies in the top 25 for him to crack it.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I think most Rangers fans doubt he ever becomes MacK. But the point is players have different development curve. Laf was also a borderline bust, can he not become a great player that doesn't come close to a future first ballot HOFer? The thing that pisses Rangers fans off is that a large portion of people responding to these threads still act like he's a scrub.
I don't think he's a scrub. I do see him beginning to break out.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
Tough to predict, if he keeps improving like he has this year I can see top 30 being possible. He's literally a completely different player from a year ago. Panarin has also benefited from Laf this year for sure....makes sense if people in here wanna be skeptical, but it's obvious that many haven't watched him play much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad