Proposal: Labanc Offersheet

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sharks should match a 5M offersheet. They owe it to him after His last contract. He should get a 5M AAV longterm deal.
I think your right that the SJS do owe him after took that sweetheart deal. I don’t think it will be 5 million though, I think it’s low 4’s maybe, 4.25 for two years. They still control him after the contract.

If I am another team I wouldn’t offer anything more 4.2 which is a second round pick. The question is if Labanc would sign that. Obviously if the SJS sharks try to low ball him he does to stick it to them but I would suspect they match as the compensation would do nothing for a team with SC aspirations.
san jose owes him nothing

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
sakic wouldn't be dumb enough to offer that to lebanc, lebanc wouldn't be dumb enough to not sign it, and wilson wouldn't be dumb enough to match the offer sheet.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
sakic wouldn't be dumb enough to offer that to lebanc, lebanc wouldn't be dumb enough to not sign it, and wilson wouldn't be dumb enough to match the offer sheet.
Lebanc was dumb enough to sign for 1 year 1 million after a 56 point season coming out of his ELC. Lebanc is dumb enough to sign anything. That’s one of the dumbest decisions I have seen by a hockey player in the salary cap era.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Sharks should match a 5M offersheet. They owe it to him after His last contract. He should get a 5M AAV longterm deal.

He owes SJ for donating $1m to him.

Im on the fence with Labanc. Reminds me of Demers. Everyone can see something in him, but at some point you just have to give up. The problem is that the Sharks are in no mans land. We can't rebuild and we can't compete.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
That contract Labanc signed last summer is looking even worse for him.
He came off a 56 pt season, and signed a 1M contract to help the sharks win.
The sharks finished 3rd last in the league, and he only scored 33 pts this year.

Yeah, that's not at all what he and his agent were expecting.

I wonder how vehemently his agent disagreed with the approach or if he as fully on board with it.

Taking less like that seems to be a player angle. I have to assume the agent was against it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I wouldn’t trade Labanc straight up for an unproven goalie that we’d have to pay anyway; let alone throw in what would basically be the equivalent of a late 1st for a late 3rd. Hard pass.

No, if anything NYR are the ones adding in that swap

Thanks x 2.
respectfully disagree, principally as I think you are underrating Geo.

be that as it may, possibly just as well.
Like it or not NY would likely do another 1 yr show me deal to reduce risk of losing him in exp dr

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

I wonder how vehemently his agent disagreed with the approach or if he as fully on board with it.

Taking less like that seems to be a player angle. I have to assume the agent was against it

I work in a field where clients rely on advice to ensure their financial well being. That said if clients doesn’t take your advice you have to ask those clients why they have an agent/advisor?

Obviously this agent isn’t working for free and takes their cut but they should always have the clients financial interest at the forefront and should be the voice of reason when the client suggests a course of action. I understand that other areas come into factor a decision (Quality of Life, Professional Goals, Comfort, etc) but taking a woefully under value market contract to play in SJ just screams bad decision. This guy put up 40 points, then 56 In the previous year and should have landed him a 3.5-4 million a year 3-4 year deal.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

The Athletic released an in-depth article with quotes from the agent that made it pretty clear that he was on board with it. He was an inexperienced bozo who simply got worked. That’s all there ever was to this story.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The Athletic released an in-depth article with quotes from the agent that made it pretty clear that he was on board with it. He was an inexperienced bozo who simply got worked. That’s all there ever was to this story.
I'd think the agent gave Leblanc multiple different approaches, and Leblanc preferred the one that bet on himself building his value even more, and staying in San Jose. It was a successful team at the time that added Karlsson, and that situation can boost stats.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'd think the agent gave Leblanc multiple different approaches, and Leblanc preferred the one that bet on himself building his value even more, and staying in San Jose. It was a successful team at the time that added Karlsson, and that situation can boost stats.
It easily could have paid off in a different world. This one it didnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad