Value of: LA Kings with a logjam on defence?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
From the outside looking in it seems as though the LA Kings have a logjam on defence - because of it guys like Jordan Spence and Toby Bjornfot who should be full time NHLers by now are stuck in a numbers game.
Add in that next season most people should expect Brandt Clarke to make a legit run at this team and you come to the conclusion that the Kings need to move at least one defender.

Here is their defence as of now.
Drew Doughty
Sean Durzi
Matt Roy
Sean Walker
Mikey Anderson
Alex Edler
Tobias Bjornfot
Jordan Spence
Brandt Clarke
Jacob Moverare

Something has to give sooner or later, no?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
From the outside looking in it seems as though the LA Kings have a logjam on defence - because of it guys like Jordan Spence and Toby Bjornfot who should be full time NHLers by now are stuck in a numbers game.
Add in that next season most people should expect Brandt Clarke to make a legit run at this team and you come to the conclusion that the Kings need to move at least one defender.

Here is their defence as of now.
Drew Doughty
Sean Durzi
Matt Roy
Sean Walker
Mikey Anderson
Alex Edler
Tobias Bjornfot
Jordan Spence
Brandt Clarke
Jacob Moverare

Something has to give sooner or later, no?
yup, a lot of kings fans have been saying this since last season. Management did nothing to make it better and maybe has made it worse by bringing back Edler.
On you list i am game to move anyone from Durzi to Edler (excluding Anderson) with minimum return expectation

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
yup, a lot of kings fans have been saying this since last season. Management did nothing to make it better and maybe has made it worse by bringing back Edler.
On you list i am game to move anyone from Durzi to Edler (excluding Anderson) with minimum return expectation

Is Roy available? If yes, cost?

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think Blake hoped Walker would back up to speed by now so that he could trade him as an asset, or at least only have to part with a mid-round pick to move his contract. He isn't there, but I still think he's moved as a cap dump or to a team desperate for veteran RDs. I don't think Edler is being re-signed next season, and Moverare can be waived without it being too much of a loss if he's claimed.

Assuming those three likely realities before next year, we're looking at the following lineup before any moves are made (e.g. Chychrun, Gavrikov, etc):

Anderson - Doughty
Durzi - Roy
Bjornfot - Spence
*Clarke

Reactions: Telos and LAKings88

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
We Kings fans have been saying this for awhile now, and Blake's answer to to just keep trying to kick the can down the road

Reactions: Gjwrams

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We Kings fans have been saying this for awhile now, and Blake's answer to to just keep trying to kick the can down the road

Well he traded one of them that wasn't gonna sign with you guys anyway for a 26 year old first liner. That's not bad.

No point in trying to move a bunch of pieces around before the cream even rises to the top.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You’d take minimal return for Roy?

Please define minimal in your view.

And What’s the ask on Spence?

Reactions: go4hockey

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Highly unlikely to be moved... Doughty, Anderson, Clarke, Spence, Bjornfot,

Only in the right deal... Roy, Grans (must be for top tier)

On the trade block... Walker and Durzi

Resigned for cheap... Moverare (could be 7th D if no big trades)

Good bye... Edler

So you are looking at...

Anderson--Doughty
XXX--Spence/Clarke
Bjornfot--Roy
Moverare (until Grans is ready)

Kings need a TOP4 LHD with size and Elite young goalie prospect. Also need cap space for a deal. 2024 1st is available but 2023 is held for a superstar.

LHD = Chychrun, Provorov, Hanifin, Zadorov, Samberg

GOALIE = Knight, Wallstedt, Primeau

I know most of those are unrealistic but that should be the type of targets

Last edited:

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I've tried it enough times to know not to try it again as a proposal, but I really feel like Ottawa, LA and Arizona could pull something off easily with Chychrun (LA), Roy (OTT), and picks/young guys (ARI). Everyone gets what they need.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
On the east coast I don't see the Kings play a lot...

Any of these guys who can run a pp2 while being defensively responsible?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Sabres could be a good trade partner? We need RD in a bad way. Casey Mitts, Victor Olofsson, picks and/or prospects are all on the board.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That’s bad for you guys. I know Spence is the key here.
It’s not at all. Reimer is a rental and as great as he is, still a rental. We have LD everywhere and Ferraro is forced to play his offside making him look much worse than he is. Petersen gives us a stop gap until hopefully one of our young goalies steps in and takes the spot. Spence instantly comes in and gets a spot in the NHL, potentially in the top 4.

For LA, they get a LD that’s an upgrade over most of their LDs, get rid of Petersen, and upgrade in goal pretty substantially.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Is Roy available? If yes, cost?
Some day yes. To me no and I don’t think our GM would be looking to move him as he brings what none of our other RD bring.

I would say yes to make room for Spence.
Would like to package him with a LHD like Moverare for a top 4 LHD, however would also do 2nd round pick with hope Blake could use that in the future to acquire LHD
Moving Roy to add Spence would be bad for LA because Spence and Durzi are the same type of player while we have nobody that plays solid defense to replace Roy. Moving him makes us worse.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
It’s not at all. Reimer is a rental and as great as he is, still a rental. We have LD everywhere and Ferraro is forced to play his offside making him look much worse than he is. Petersen gives us a stop gap until hopefully one of our young goalies steps in and takes the spot. Spence instantly comes in and gets a spot in the NHL, potentially in the top 4.

For LA, they get a LD that’s an upgrade over most of their LDs, get rid of Petersen, and upgrade in goal pretty substantially.
Peterson is a bad contract but fair enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad