Kings Article: LA Kings Get The Shaft On Disputed Goal That Should Have Been Reviewable Years Ago

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It sucks it happens, and it was a totally fluke play that was obviously butchered by the refs, but in the big picture it's only one regular season game against an Eastern opponent.

And just like with a missed call for a hook or hold, these flukey type things find a way of evening out (anyone remember Clockgate?)

The Kings are a veteran team with a good coach who has been through the battles, they should move on pretty quickly from this and be ready for the matinee in Boston.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Can we blame Columbus for putting those damn nets up in the first place???

I don't want to bring up Columbus as the specific issue as that incident sucks but come the **** on. Take the nets down. Such a ***** society we live in where everything requires drastic reactionary measures.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't want to bring up Columbus as the specific issue as that incident sucks but come the **** on. Take the nets down. Such a ***** society we live in where everything requires drastic reactionary measures.

I don't see putting up a net as a drastic measure.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It certainly was not a drastic measure at all, had they been smart and had them up before the little girl in Columbus would still be with us today.

I never even notice them when I am sitting behind the goals.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
It certainly was not a drastic measure at all, had they been smart and had them up before the little girl in Columbus would still be with us today.

I never even notice them when I am sitting behind the goals.

I don't mean to be a dick or blame her at all but she wasn't paying attention during a hockey game. It was just a truly terrible situation.

If you can't tell, I hate the mesh. Hate it. Ruins the experience of having seats behind a net. No more game pucks and clearly refs are too incompetent to pay attention to a puck hitting it.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
the nets are good and should be there. i didn't like them when they first went up, because my seats were were in 208. i like watching the game from the ends so i can see the flow. it was an adjustment at first, but having them is a sound reason.

as for what happened last night and the outcome - outright ********. when this happened in the SJ-DET game a few years back the corrective measures should have taken place. now that it's happened yet again there is NO reason for the league to make the necessary change. it has been proven it WILL happen again.

the puck wasnt visible for 2-3 seconds while it was airborne. refs blow the play dead for losing sight of the puck for far less than that all the time. 3 seconds of not seeing the puck, everyone looking around lost wondering where it is, that is eternity on the ice. i'm still surprised they didn't blow it dead, because 'something' isn't right. 3 seconds of no one not knowing where the puck is just unbelievable.

what happens if this happened in the playoffs or the SC and was the deciding goal?

if the league had any stones and credibility it would announce on Monday they reviewed and are overturning the game to s 2-1 LA win, or the final 26 seconds will be 'replayed' the next time they meet.

what happens down the stretch if that 1 point costs LA a PO standing or home ice? what happens if the 2 points DET got keeps another team out of the playoffs?

this has to be corrected for this game and moving forward.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign
One thing i find interesting is the netting is supposed to be protective, yet it can also keep a play alive if it is not seen. A solution to this would be to make the netting more like in football behind the goal posts or small batting cages. It's there and keeps it out of "play" when it hits by absorbing the kinetic energy of the puck by just letting it drop.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't mean to be a dick or blame her at all but she wasn't paying attention during a hockey game. It was just a truly terrible situation.

If you can't tell, I hate the mesh. Hate it. Ruins the experience of having seats behind a net. No more game pucks and clearly refs are too incompetent to pay attention to a puck hitting it.

I don't know how old she was, but do you know the attention span of a 7-10 year old child? Cap it off today with a child with a cell phone or other electronic device?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
iirc she was 10-12 years old. it's not just her, but today you've got a good portion of people either watching on the jumbotrons or farting around on their phones. it was inevitable and unfortunate it happened, but like most things in today's world it takes a death for the common sense approach to finally be done

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
it was inevitable and unfortunate it happened, but like most things in today's world it takes a death for the common sense approach to finally be done

Exactly.

It's like fighting, when I ask hockey people when it will be removed from the game the answer is always, "When someone dies in a fight"

btw, me and my dad's tickets were also in 208 before I moved to the midwest, I feel like you and I seem to end up in the same spot :)

Getting back to the topic, you absolutely should be able to review whether the puck hit the netting. One thing that is interesting and was mentioned by Osprey on the main board, media reports say that GM's were overwhelmingly against reviewing plays like this the GM meetings, I wish we could see how Lombardi voted. It would be pretty hypocritical if Dean were against review and then came out and criticized the league and talked about people being held accountable. I personally have no no idea why the GM's were so against reviewing it, to be honest.

Last edited:

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I have a question about this incident....

I remember seeing a couple times where a shot goes through the net, but nobody catches it because it happens so fast. But, when play finally stops, they take a look at it and go back and count the goal....and move the clock back to the time of when it was scored.

So, why in last nights incident couldn't the same thing be done??

Jul 31, 2005
CA
It's funny how professional sports bring in review then limit what you can review. Let's try to get it right but only sometimes. Who cares if the ref pointed at the net, if the review shows something that disallows a goal then that's what should happen.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I have a question about this incident....

I remember seeing a couple times where a shot goes through the net, but nobody catches it because it happens so fast. But, when play finally stops, they take a look at it and go back and count the goal....and move the clock back to the time of when it was scored.

So, why in last nights incident couldn't the same thing be done??

Apparently that's a completely different rule and doesn't factor into this one. But that's how it should be dealt with.

The rule as is, makes no sense. It would take 5 seconds to check and see if a puck went out. It's as easy as checking to see if a football player stepped on the line or if a ball went foul in baseball.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Exactly.

It's like fighting, when I ask hockey people when it will be removed from the game the answer is always, "When someone dies in a fight"

btw, me and my dad's tickets were also in 208 before I moved to the midwest, I feel like you and I seem to end up in the same spot :)

Getting back to the topic, you absolutely should be able to review whether the puck hit the netting. One thing that is interesting and was mentioned by Osprey on the main board, media reports say that GM's were overwhelmingly against reviewing plays like this the GM meetings, I wish we could see how Lombardi voted. It would be pretty hypocritical if Dean were against review and then came out and criticized the league and talked about people being held accountable. I personally have no no idea why the GM's were so against reviewing it, to be honest.

seriously...fellow 208'er and now in Chicago

look how long it took them to finally get smart and implement hybrid icing. it hasn't diminished the game at all and it's protecting guys from that handful of injuries that happen each season.

i like the idea someone had of making the netting looser so there is no rebound effect. the problem with that is it will cause more sight issues with fans on the ends. as it is now you have to get used to it and let your eyes focus. having a net that is loose and baggy would further cause your eyes to have to refocus.

what would likely work i think is to just angle the net back on an angle, so the pucks essentially get funneled. they hit the net, stop and then slide down to the bottom at the glass.

Ron*

Was pretty much busy this weekend in San Francisco and didn't see the game, just saw some comments here and I read the article, and I will say this:

Those are two of the best referees and two of the best linesmen in the game today. They simply missed the puck hitting the netting. You can rest assured if any of them saw it, the goal would have been disallowed on the ice.

Bottom line, shame on the NHL GMs for not allowing a boundary play to be reviewable. You can rest assured this will change, and this play is the one that will permanently change that rule.

Lastly, let me say this: I don't give a **** about the 1 ****ing point. It's not going to make a difference when it comes playoff time in the West, because every team that is making the playoffs in the West is going to be tough to beat.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Was pretty much busy this weekend in San Francisco and didn't see the game, just saw some comments here and I read the article, and I will say this:

Those are two of the best referees and two of the best linesmen in the game today. They simply missed the puck hitting the netting. You can rest assured if any of them saw it, the goal would have been disallowed on the ice.

Bottom line, shame on the NHL GMs for not allowing a boundary play to be reviewable. You can rest assured this will change, and this play is the one that will permanently change that rule.

Lastly, let me say this: I don't give a **** about the 1 ****ing point. It's not going to make a difference when it comes playoff time in the West, because every team that is making the playoffs in the West is going to be tough to beat.

Well, I'm hoping it will be changed but considering that this has happened before, the NHL releasing their statement blowing it off, and the NHL GMs already turning it down; I don't have much faith. Guess we're going to wait until it decides a game in the playoffs?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I don't know why all goals aren't reviewable. Every goal should be reviewed from Toronto or the in-house goal judge or someone just to watch for stuff like this. Doesn't the NFL review every scoring play? This is something that would have been caught in two seconds because the Kings players were pointing it out, so likely it would have been the first thing they checked for.

I get not reviewing a play to look for possible penalties that were missed, but how there wasn't an open clause to allow a review for something like this is just dumb.

I used to work for the insurance company that was responsible for the nets being put up. They insure all 30 NHL and NBA teams. BTW.. reviewing the Kings workers comp claims from 2001-2003 was interesting to say the least. There I do think it is a bit ridiculous that they put those up because one person got killed in 100 years. That is the only death I've ever heard of at an NHL game. But it was done as a cost saving measure. Most people aren't going to die from a puck at a hockey game but minor injuries cost money. I do think it made a big difference when they changed the color of the nets. I think they were black before and they've changed them to white. I might have that mixed up but whatever the change was definitely worked and they are hardly noticable now.

I'm actually surprised people don't get hurt more often at baseball games. The ball comes flying off the bad into foul territory very quickly. Baseball is such a slow paced game, nobody is paying attention 100% of the time.

But this goal has nothing to do with the nets being there. This is all about human error with the reffing and rule making. Not much you can do about that. Hopefully they fix the rule(s).

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think I feel worse for the teams who will be battling Detroit for a playoff spot. I'm sure they'd all like an extra two points for 'losing' as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad