Kings Article: LA Kings D Sean Durzi’s Much-Maligned Defensive Zone Play Has Turned Around In A Big Way

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Defenseman Sean Durzi's defensive zone play left a lot to be desired earlier this season. But over the past couple of months, as the LA Kings have improved their defensive game, a big reason for their overall improvememt has been...wait for it...Durzi's improved defensive play.
Head coach Todd McLellan and Durzi himself talked defense with Frozen Royalty...

https://frozenroyalty.net/2023/01/19/durzi-defense

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I've been Sean Durzi's critic in the past, primarily over his defensive deficiencies. I've called it "Durzitis". In his season+ (107 games) of regular season play, he is consistently below 50% in even strength goals for % and well below the rest of the defensemen. Generally it's because he's on the ice for a lot of goals against.

Recently, as of the last 12 Kings games, Durzi has been on the ice for 9 goals for and 7 goals against at even strength, for a GA/60 Gel of -0.45, meaning he's on the ice for goals against less than the team average. There's no major change in his possession metrics, but he's in better position now, thinking the game better in his own end. It's a big development, and if he can keep the goals against down, he becomes so much more valuable for the team.

Great work as usual Gann. Way to pick up on an interesting topic that none of the other writers are writing about.

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I've been Sean Curzi's critic in the past, primarily over his defensive deficiencies. I've called it "Durzitis". In his season+ (107 games) of regular season play, he is consistently below 50% in even strength goals for % and well below the rest of the defensemen. Generally it's because he's on the ice for a lot of goals against.

Recently, as of the last 12 Kings games, Durzi has been on the ice for 9 goals for and 7 goals against at even strength, for a GA/60 Gel of -0.45, meaning he's on the ice for goals against less than the team average. There's no major change in his possession metrics, but he's in better position now, thinking the game better in his own end. It's a big development, and if he can keep the goals against down, he becomes so much more valuable for the team.

Great work as usual Gann. Way to pick up on an interesting topic that none of the other writers are writing about.
Yea Durzi has been making better decisions and staying in position recently. I wonder if they are satisfied enough with his play that they dont make a move for a pricey left dman. Maybe they want to get a bottom pairing guy and push Edler down to the 7th dman.
The only recent gaffs that even come to mind with Durzi is him getting burned 3 times on one shift against Meier the other night.

Last edited:

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The biggest difference between the Kings recent play and that of the first third of the season is in the approach of the forwards. They are FAR more responsible than the cheat fest they displayed early on. That will naturally result in better numbers for the defense, who frankly are almost always screwed by the perception folks get from focusing on numbers.

Durzi is still getting walked on entries, still getting caught watching in the slot and still getting abused along the wall, yet somehow he is better now because he isn't exposed as often by a team chock full of offensive wingers who spent three months leaving zones early and coughing up pucks between the dots and the attacking blueline? No, he is still a liability on that left side.

Defense is an art that requires experience to hone judgement. Durzi's play has earned him the right to learn on the job. The biggest reason he is still seen as more of a potential placeholder than being lauded for his growth is that he is being played out of position and there are two top shelf prospects ready for their shot. Durzi is doing fine, he has just been put into a difficult position to thrive.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Is it Durzi? Or is it the goaltending?

Is it live? Or is it Memorex?
Durzi before Dec. 18 (31 Games): 21 GF 27 GA, +0.53 GA/60 Rel at even strength, Shots for % 53.1%
Durzi after Dec. 18 (12 Games): 9 GF 7 GA, -0.45 GA/60 Rel at even strength, Shots for 51.0%

He is doing way better relative to the team on the goals against side recently. It's not because he's suppressing shots better than others.

There is an enormous difference between his numbers with Quick (-11) versus with Copley (+5) or Petersen (+3) in net. Durzi and Quick just mix like oil and water for some reason. Tough to say how big a contribution Copley has had to Durzi's defensive numbers, but l think it's Durzi AND the goaltending.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Don't hate Durzi, but he has always been on my trade bait list. I don't mind them squeezing out all of his offensive usefulness while he is still cheap contract-wise, but I think there are better offensive options upcoming that don't hurt us as much defensively. It isn't all his fault, but at the same time I don't think anyone is surprised he is the biggest minus player on the team....

Reactions: mysterman2

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
It's not you, it's me

Reactions: Telos and Lt Dan

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Don't hate Durzi, but he has always been on my trade bait list. I don't mind them squeezing out all of his offensive usefulness while he is still cheap contract-wise, but I think there are better offensive options upcoming that don't hurt us as much defensively. It isn't all his fault, but at the same time I don't think anyone is surprised he is the biggest minus player on the team....

This...dude is likable AF and I want to be his biggest fan but based on the Junior scouting, what I saw from him on the Reign, and now seeing him in the NHL- have to come to terms he simply is not a solid NHL defensemen for the defensive side of the game. When your position is that of "defensemen" you need a minimum level of play for Defense I dont think Durzi will ever meet. NHL is littered with talented offensive DMen who arent good enough to play in league....Michal Del Zotto comes to mind, Andy Delmore, John Slaney...etc etc etc.

Trade him now- Spence clearly an upgrade in all areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telos

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Durzi seems like a good teammate, but I’ve never been a fan of offensive defensemen who suck at their primary job, which is defense. Even if he’s improved, the Kings have better options than the mix of six guys they dress every night.

Reactions: mysterman2

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Durzi got owned late tonight in Nashville allowing the go ahead goal. The guy is trash without a stellar D partner. He’s never going to win us anything unless he can play his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad