LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
So looks like we're getting Dallas unless we win our last game and Vegas loses in regulation? Is that right?
Kings hold the tiebreaker on Vegas. A win and a Vegas regulation/OTL or SOL means Kings lock up #3 and play the Oilers.

Kings can still get in #3 if Vegas loses in reg and the Kings get at least 1pt in their last game to tie. Kings lose in reg or Vegas wins at al and they lock in W2 no matter what.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The max points the Kings can finish this season with is 99 (currently at 97)
The Kings had 104 points last season

Considering the PLDufus trade was supposed to put us over the top, can this regular season be considered an abject failure?

Kings hold the tiebreaker on Vegas. A win and a Vegas regulation/OTL or SOL means Kings lock up #3 and play the Oilers.

Kings can still get in #3 if Vegas loses in reg and the Kings get at least 1pt in their last game to tie. Kings lose in reg or Vegas wins at al and they lock in W2 no matter what.
Preface- I am a dumbass: but how could the Kings hold a tiebreaker on anyone with the huge number of OTLs?
Wouldn't Vegas have the tiebreaker on regulation wins?

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
They play the 1-3-1 because they don't have the confidence in their offensive players, which makes perfect sense given their desire for two way centers over play makers and stay at home defensemen instead of puck movers.

It might be more successful if they had bigger, more physical wingers and any kind of heart.
But you need puck moving defensemen in the 1-3-1 since it forces so many dump ins. And the Kings dmen collectively have an abysmal rate at successful exits bc they struggle to retrieve and move the puck up the ice. Doughty is the only one who's decent at it.

Successful exit percentiles among Kings dmen:
Doughty: 58%
Anderson: 22%
Gavrikov: 9%
Roy: 7%
Englund: 14%
Spence: 25%

It's no wonder the Kings are so boring to watch. They force a shit ton of dump ins and struggle with breakouts, so they can't generate much going up ice and will spend much of the shift batting the puck around or settling for banking the puck high off the glass and out.

kingsholygrail

Insurmountable Leads 1-3
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The max points the Kings can finish this season with is 99 (currently at 97)
The Kings had 104 points last season

Considering the PLDufus trade was supposed to put us over the top, can this regular season be considered an abject failure?

Preface- I am a dumbass: but how could the Kings hold a tiebreaker on anyone with the huge number of OTLs?
Wouldn't Vegas have the tiebreaker on regulation wins?
Kings have 37RW to Vegas's 34RW. You wouldn't think the Kings had so many RWs, but it's also a reminder of how absolute shit this team was in OT/SO this year.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
But you need puck moving defensemen in the 1-3-1 since it forces so many dump ins. And the Kings dmen collectively have an abysmal rate at successful exits bc they struggle to retrieve and move the puck up the ice. Doughty is the only one who's decent at it.

Successful exit percentiles among Kings dmen:
Doughty: 58%
Anderson: 22%
Gavrikov: 9%
Roy: 7%
Englund: 14%
Spence: 25%

It's no wonder the Kings are so boring to watch. They force a shit ton of dump ins and struggle with breakouts, so they can't generate much going up ice and will spend much of the shift batting the puck around or settling for banking the puck high off the glass and out.
Which is why they needed to spend more time on getting Clarke ready. If you add Roy’s giveaways to his exit percentages it show why I’d have traded him.

🤡

My guess is QB 4th line assignment is more about limiting his minutes so he cant get to his bonuses on G and A

Highly unlikely

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Which is why they needed to spend more time on getting Clarke ready. If you add Roy’s giveaways to his exit percentages it show why I’d have traded him.

Highly unlikely
Yep, esp since the 1-3-1 is designed to have the RD as the 1 who typically retrieves.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Highly unlikely
Seems Blake-ish to blow out the cap w PLD, then try to penny pinch with the rookies. QB is scuffling but hasnt lacked hustle and has been solid with his forecheck and d-zone. While, PLD has been his usually useless self and belongs on the 4th. I dont think its good for QB to have been taken off PP1 where he was effective now demoted to 4th line. Laf is totally offensively impaired no way he's a top line wing.. but for 1 game, maybe they are tanking.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
So looks like we're getting Dallas unless we win our last game and Vegas loses in regulation? Is that right?
Nope, a Vancouver win and a Dallas loss means Vancouver would get WC2 (Van owns the tiebreaker)
Dallas gets a point and Dallas gets WC2
A Vancouver lost in regulation or OT and Vancouver gets WC1 (Nashville)
LA still has a chance to play Dallas (as WC2) or Vancouver (as WC2) or Edmonton (as P3),
A Vegas win means LA is WC2 for Dallas or Vancouver,
If Vegas gets 1 point LA needs a win to finish P3 for Edmonton
A Vegas loss then LA needs 1 point or better for P3 and Edmonton

LA will know where they can finish before the game vs Chicago is over (Either Dallas or Vancouver is #1) and if Las Vegas is P3 (with a win) or LA could overtake them.

Scheule

Wed - St Louis @ Dallas 6:30 (Dallas can cinch #1)
Thu - Vancouver @ Winnipeg 5:00 (Van will know if they have a shot at #1)
Thu - Anaheim @ Las Vegas 7:00 (LV knows they can finish P3 with a win or possibly WC2 depending on what LA does)
Thu - Chicago @ Los Angeles 7:30 ( Vegas outcome determines if LA has a chance for P3)

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
for the life of me i don't understand the love affair with laferriere

i love the kid's hustle but that's all he's got right now, straight line volume shooter without the NHL finishing ability. he should be playing in depth with 10-12 minutes busting his ass alongside lizotte, not on kopitar's wing

symptomatic of the questionable player skill utilization top to bottom in this org

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I still don't agree with that opinion and to be clear it was an opinion not a sourced article sharing information.
Let's get some Jesse opinions

1) Does pineapple belong on pizza?
2) Better bad movie MCHale's Navy(The Tom Arnold movie) or Jack and Jill (The Adam Sandler movie)?
3) Why is Reese's peanut butter cup the world's best candy ever?
4) Who is your favorite midget?
5) Which team do you think is coming out of the East?
6) Indian food or Thai food?
7) If I go buy a premade muffin and a bakery and there is a tip jar there, should I tip a guy for putting a muffin in a bag and ringing it up?
8) What do you miss most about the 1980's
9) Who is your favorite Smurf?
10) If you could change your first name to either "Night Hawk", "Rex", or "Xavion" what would be your choice?

11. If you weren't follicly challenged would you rock a Mohawk or a pompadour?
(and for the sake of discussion, there is zero professional blowback from the hair style)

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Nope, a Vancouver win and a Dallas loss means Vancouver would get WC2 (Van owns the tiebreaker)
Dallas gets a point and Dallas gets WC2
A Vancouver lost in regulation or OT and Vancouver gets WC1 (Nashville)
LA still has a chance to play Dallas (as WC2) or Vancouver (as WC2) or Edmonton (as P3),
A Vegas win means LA is WC2 for Dallas or Vancouver,
If Vegas gets 1 point LA needs a win to finish P3 for Edmonton
A Vegas loss then LA needs 1 point or better for P3 and Edmonton

LA will know where they can finish before the game vs Chicago is over (Either Dallas or Vancouver is #1) and if Las Vegas is P3 (with a win) or LA could overtake them.

Scheule

Wed - St Louis @ Dallas 6:30 (Dallas can cinch #1)
Thu - Vancouver @ Winnipeg 5:00 (Van will know if they have a shot at #1)
Thu - Anaheim @ Las Vegas 7:00 (LV knows they can finish P3 with a win or possibly WC2 depending on what LA does)
Thu - Chicago @ Los Angeles 7:30 ( Vegas outcome determines if LA has a chance for P3)
For some reason I though Vancouver couldn't catch Dallas. Thanks.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Interesting take here...

Me right now
1713385369014.png

• Haha
Reactions: AbsentMojo

Ad

Upcoming events