LA KINGS 2023/4 Regular season discussion

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I'm beginning to think more and more that if there is a regime change that he is going to be bought out and the new GM is just going to choose to eat it and not gamble on a return to previous levels.
Logistically, when does PLD 2nd contract season kick in (which prevents the cheap buyout), is it July 1? Need to get that new GM in there lickity split if indeed AEG pulls that trigger.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Looks like Talbot starts tonight.

Does that mean Talbot will get Seattle and Ritich gets SJ in the Wednesday and Thursday back to back (or vice versa)?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I hope Thomas definitely plays tonight with signs indicating he will. He’s always been one of my favourite prospects, another derailed by injury. Shoulder issues are not easy to get through (mine are a mess) so he’s definitely put some hard work in and deserves his shot. Whilst I don’t expect it, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him lock down a spot (cap issues apart).

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I hope Thomas definitely plays tonight with signs indicating he will. He’s always been one of my favourite prospects, another derailed by injury. Shoulder issues are not easy to get through (mine are a mess) so he’s definitely put some hard work in and deserves his shot. Whilst I don’t expect it, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him lock down a spot (cap issues apart).
I'm with you, got a few chances to see him in Ontario and he is a force.

Reactions: tigermask48

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Me too, I was always so much more excited about Thomas than Kupari. Really hope that the surgeries corrected things.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Me too, I was always so much more excited about Thomas than Kupari. Really hope that the surgeries corrected things.

Very much agreed

Though I'm proud of Kupari carving out a role. He obviously has the tools to stick, it was always his brain/using his teammates, so I figured he was all or nothing top six or bust. Good to see him sticking around as a good checker, I thought a lightbulb went off in the playoffs when he blasted...Kulak? off the puck in the corner before a Byfield goal in the playoffs. Thomas, like Turcotte, is at the very least a good pro and a practically guaranteed bottom sixer if he can't reach higher.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I believe that AEG made a foolish decision to entrust the franchise to two guys (and their cronies) who have no business running an NHL franchise. I don’t believe for a second they are behind the scenes pushing for a return to the turn of the century Kings. Placing the blame on AEG is just another “Faber wouldn’t sign” excuse to absolve Luc, Blake, Emerson and Surf Nutz of the poor job they have done.

All this talk of “it’s a business” to defend the black hole, yet other teams (including the Kings) have properly rebuilt, sacrificing in the short term for a later financial windfall. So why is it so hard to believe AEG would do that again?

Many feel otherwise [not just here] and it's our opinion. Is it right or is yours, who knows? That just my feeling and on it, nothing more. But Luc ,Rob and the surf bunch are for sure to blame for this mess, there's no denying it.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Very much agreed

Though I'm proud of Kupari carving out a role. He obviously has the tools to stick, it was always his brain/using his teammates, so I figured he was all or nothing top six or bust. Good to see him sticking around as a good checker, I thought a lightbulb went off in the playoffs when he blasted...Kulak? off the puck in the corner before a Byfield goal in the playoffs. Thomas, like Turcotte, is at the very least a good pro and a practically guaranteed bottom sixer if he can't reach higher.

You could see he always had the tools, but he could never use them all at the same time to be that top 6 player we hoped. Really wished they'd taken Miller instead, they could used a solid 6-5" LHD right now.

Reactions: tbrown33 and funky

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Akil Thomas will be called up.
Dude!

Your comments or so bad ass, sleep token mask.

You could paint one on the back of your helmet and wear it backwards!

Wear it backwards not only when you play the drums but when you are reading and typing your comments.

And of course when you are riding your bike down the street!

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
they call up young players to have them play 3mins a piece, while Perfetti showed the Kings that you can coach your youth and then give them a chance to shine and they'll take it

Lizotte 15mins lol

Why won't the Kings just call up TJ Tynan, Charles Hudon, Steven Santini, Kevin Connauton?? (whoever's not signed in this bunch, just sign them)

but just stop clowning around!

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I hope it is the case.

Over on the main boards has a couple concerning threads indicating Blake tried to trade away for two starter goaltenders: Markstrom and Ullmark. Both the deals fell apart because the players would not waive the no trade clause.

I’m sure Rob was trying to empty everything left to save his job. Thank god those trades did not go through, as we only had a 1st this year for any valuable trading commodity.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
if that's true, there wouldn't have been rumors surrounding Markstrom / Ullmark

the reason Blake didn't make a move, is the same reason he has to send a thousand players on waivers every time he activates a player from IR:

NO CAP!

It would have been impossible for Blake to add something substantial without subtracting Matt Roy. And to trade a $3m player for another $3m player would have been most likely a lateral move

In short, Dubois' contract really faaked him in more ways than one (but none of them literal)

Now's the time for the literal

Reactions: GameNight

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
if that's true, there wouldn't have been rumors surrounding Markstrom / Ullmark

the reason Blake didn't make a move, is the same reason he has to send a thousand players on waivers every time he activates a player from IR:

NO CAP!

It would have been impossible for Blake to add something substantial without subtracting Matt Roy. And to trade a $3m player for another $3m player would have been most likely a lateral move

In short, Dubois' contract really faaked him in more ways than one (but none of them literal)

Now's the time for the literal

You might be underestimating a person desperate to keep his job.
If Calgary/Boston retained 50% on Markstrom/Ullmark, that puts his cap hit to 3 million, and 2.5 million a year. They don't retain? Another team just might, for a good sweetner.

Sending a package like 1st 2024 + RV + 2nd 2025 + Talbot/Rittich might do it. Cap is balanced.

I am thankful for no trade clauses this trade deadline.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
You might be underestimating a person desperate to keep his job.
If Calgary/Boston retained 50% on Markstrom/Ullmark, that puts his cap hit to 3 million, and 2.5 million a year. They don't retain? Another team just might, for a good sweetner.

Sending a package like 1st 2024 + RV + 2nd 2025 + Talbot/Rittich might do it. Cap is balanced.

I am thankful for no trade clauses this trade deadline.
Why would Blake trade an impending FA when he could trade Kempe? Don't use logic if you want to figure out a Rob Blake trade proposal.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Why would Blake trade an impending FA when he could trade Kempe? Don't use logic if you want to figure out a Rob Blake trade proposal.

Bloody well said. With 'your job is ending' anxiety that Blake is facing, that could have been an option.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is this the first season in a while the Kings haven’t signed/traded for a college free agent?

Even if they could, why would any young free agent sign here? Where's the opportunity? Dead end team stuck behind vets for all eternity, benched after scoring in 5 minutes while PLD sails around making 8 times your salary to take a steaming dump at center ice?

Blake has ruined any equity this franchise has built with free agents maybe not on personality but on action.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I wonder if Blake's hands were tied after the McLellan firing. He could be lame ducking it until season's end.
If that’s the case then Luc should be fired also, because leaving a lame duck GM in place is damaging, possibly more than a lame duck coach. Firing Blake under those circumstances sends a message to the team and an interim GM would be no less effective.

I’m not sure what I think is the case in reality.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
If the rumors that the Kings were close on deals for Kipper/Ulmark are true, then Blake's hands weren't tied.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad