GWT: L1 MOTW 24th round

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For this week, it's a friday's game :

PSG-Rennes Tonight 9PM Paris time

I'm also very interested in Lyon-Nice game tomorrow, with Gouiri coming back home to torch OL.

PSG's last game before Madrid, and rumors are that Poch will give time to some youngsters finally. Fingers crossed.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Xavi Simons is the only starter. Interesting that Navas starts in goal, wonder if that means that Donnarumma will start in Europe.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Mbappe has been the most dangerous player on the pitch, too bad his finish was ruled out for marginal offside after his speedy run and accurate finish.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rennes parked the bus all game and thought they could win it at the 92nd and all their men got up the pitch.
Counter 4 on 4 for PSG and goal.
Awful tactically by Rennes.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I only saw the highlights, but it looked like PSG dominated.

I didn’t think that was a terrible call with regards to the offside. It was very very close so for there to have been a mistake made it would’ve been understandable.

Simons did not look good in the highlights.

Good thing Mbappe scored since he could’ve played in Icardi or gave it back to Messi.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG didn't dominate anything in the first half (a tad better in the second). Rennes sit back in order to avoid the same treatment as Lille last week. It should have paid off if they didn't disjoint at the 92nd.
I think it's a terrible call because at worst it's too tight to decide. So accept the goal and see if the VAR has anything to say, instead of the contrary.
As for Simons, I disagree. He was poor in the box, but was everywhere in terms of pressing and defensive pressure.
It was a boring game. I thought Rennes would open more but they never did until the 92nd. And got immediately punished.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Messi has 3 goals and 7 assists in his last 10 PSG games. Not counting the goal posts :D

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Like I said, highlights. You usually don’t see much pressing by way of highlights unless it leads to a turnover that leads to a goal. On top of that PSG enjoyed much more possession and so again that is what you will get with highlights.

As for the offside, I was referring to the linesman..

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Linesmen are supposed to give the attacker the benefit of the doubt in close situations.
Therefore he made a glaring mistake.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Agreed, but we don’t know what he saw live and without the replay we had. And doesn’t your post above show the decision to be correct?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Agreed, but we don’t know what he saw live and without the replay we had. And doesn’t your post above show the decision to be correct?
The still is arguable. So when even a still and a replay are unconclusive, the attacker should be given the advantage.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ndombele with the assist. Lucky to be in that position though after the deflection.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Caqueret amazing again. Motm again. Lukeba great as well.

Has Lukeba made a big improvement this season? He hasn't played that much in previous years, apparently hasn't played forU21 NT team yet and I don't remember you hyping him much previously. Isn't that tall for a CB either. At what level do you see his potential?

Nice was very disappointing, not sure what the problem is, but for some reason they seem a lot less dynamic than Lille, who Galtier was able to make champions. Obviously Dante has very little career left, but they would probably need to do something about the midfield. Lemina and Scheiderlin are okay players, but not really top players who can take a team to the heights of winning top domestic and European titles.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Has Lukeba made a big improvement this season? He hasn't played that much in previous years, apparently hasn't played forU21 NT team yet and I don't remember you hyping him much previously. Isn't that tall for a CB either. At what level do you see his potential?

Nice was very disappointing, not sure what the problem is, but for some reason they seem a lot less dynamic than Lille, who Galtier was able to make champions. Obviously Dante has very little career left, but they would probably need to do something about the midfield. Lemina and Scheiderlin are okay players, but not really top players who can take a team to the heights of winning top domestic and European titles.
Lukeba has been spectacular. His play with the ball was always great but he has improved a lot without the ball too in terms of defending. I didn't expect him to make such an impact.
His potential is suddenly very high because his deficiencies have been erased just like that.

As for Nice give Galtier a little time. It's his first year and already Nice has a decent chance of qualifying for the CL.
You see certain young players exploding under him (Gouiri, Todibo, Thuram) and some making progress (Kluivert).
His midfield has one nice player (Thuram) and a bunch of decent players (though Rosario is more than decent).
He still has a plan A and no plan B (counter). But his plan A is hard to stop when he has quality.
Yes Dante needs replacing too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lens up 3-0 after 30 minutes. Fofana with a blasted volley.

Bordeaux heading straight to L2. St Etienne leaving the 20th spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad