Rumor: Kypreos: Penguins willing to trade Letang

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So you think multiple guys just pulled that rumor out of their ass?

First of all, it would hardly be the first time such a thing happened - either with random multiple rumour mongers or Friedman/Kypreos and the Pens in particular - as they've peddled some ridiculous Malkin rumours in years past.

Second, what I was finding fault with was your speculative logic for why Letang wasn't dealt since it could also be applied to the best defenseman in the game. It could be any number of reasons, not simply your "injury history and contract made for no good offers" argument.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
First of all, it would hardly be the first time such a thing happened - either with random multiple rumour mongers or Friedman/Kypreos and the Pens in particular - as they've peddled some ridiculous Malkin rumours in years past.

Second, what I was finding fault with was your speculative logic for why Letang wasn't dealt since it could also be applied to the best defenseman in the game. It could be any number of reasons, not simply your "injury history and contract made for no good offers" argument.
Oh i totally agree. Any team possibly shopping a player have a return in mind, i wasn't saying anything negative about Letang, just that they didn't get offered what they felt was worth it....again, if they made him available.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh i totally agree. Any team possibly shopping a player have a return in mind, i wasn't saying anything negative about Letang, just that they didn't get offered what they felt was worth it....again, if they made him available.

That's fair.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
We are talking Friedman and Kypreos...say what you want about them, but they have a little more insight than Eklund.

That said, i am not sure why the Pens would shop him....so maybe they never were.

oh kypreos? the guy who said the pens were gonna trade malkin like a thousand times?

Reactions: domaug

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We are talking Friedman and Kypreos...say what you want about them, but they have a little more insight than Eklund.

That said, i am not sure why the Pens would shop him....so maybe they never were.

Both have looked stupid in the past throwing out Malkin's name in rumors and having to backtrack, so there is a history there of them perhaps speculating what they want to happen, rather than the truth...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Both have looked stupid in the past throwing out Malkin's name in rumors and having to backtrack, so there is a history there of them perhaps speculating what they want to happen, rather than the truth...

That's likely the case. That's usually what hack reporters do - throw shit at the wall and hope some of it sticks.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
I wonder what team could use Letangs skill set. I can imagine only a contender looking to have a d-core that rivals Nashville or a bubble team that is one piece away to, somewhat, finally be in the playoff race. Teams that are out of the playoffs make no sense for it.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Trading Malkin never made any sense though. Trading Letang might depending on the return.

thats besides the point.. it may or may not be true. its not proven or disproven by anything in this thread. the point is kypreos has literally fabricated stuff in the past about trading malkin so its not out of the question that he would make something up here too.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What is Pittsburgh needs? I'd do Edm 1st + Letestu + prospect + Russell for cap reasons

Letestu is a serviceable veteran bottom 6 centre and our pick could be top 10, not sure what prospect, maybe Jones and Russell while overpaid still gives Pens cap savings moving forward

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What is Pittsburgh needs? I'd do Edm 1st + Letestu + prospect + Russell for cap reasons

Letestu is a serviceable veteran bottom 6 centre and our pick could be top 10, not sure what prospect, maybe Jones and Russell while overpaid still gives Pens cap savings moving forward

I’d rather miss the playoffs than trade Letang for that

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

We already know what Letestu is as he was once a Pen. As I said before unless a team wants to pony up value for his services he's staying in Pittsburgh. And hypothetically Its certainly not going for Letestu. Or Russell

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Eh, JB ain't a mouthpiece ...

Yes he is. He and Yohe and Mackey don't take a piss unless JR is there to shake for them. And, what they were fed to write has absolutely nothing to do with whether JR does or does not trade Letang.

If that had been Malkin that Friedman (forget the other clown, but Friedman) had said was available, it wouldn't have taken 6 days to see a denial.

If a local reporter had written the Pens were 'listening' on Malkin, as Mackey wrote of Letang on Tuesday, it wouldn't have taken 72 hours to see a denial.

And, if a local reporter had written Malkin was available, as Gatjka wrote early on Thursday, it wouldn't have taken a full 24 hours to deny that.

There's a simple reason the three stooges were fed their story on Friday if you think about it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I wonder what team could use Letangs skill set. I can imagine only a contender looking to have a d-core that rivals Nashville or a bubble team that is one piece away to, somewhat, finally be in the playoff race. Teams that are out of the playoffs make no sense for it.

I can understand Pitt being willing to trade Letang for the right return.

I just don’t see how a good trade partner is out there for Letang in the middle of the season. The Penguins are going to want pieces them help them contend this season. While almost any current contending team is likely to want to move futures for Letang rather then important roster players.

If Pitt is truly interested in moving Letang then the right time to do so is in the summer, not mid-season.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
I can understand Pitt being willing to trade Letang for the right return.

I just don’t see how a good trade partner is out there for Letang in the middle of the season. The Penguins are going to want pieces them help them contend this season. While almost any current contending team is likely to want to move futures for Letang rather then important roster players.

If Pitt is truly interested in moving Letang then the right time to do so is in the summer, not mid-season.
I'm not sure about that. My assumption is based on the return of Letang. I'd imagine Pittsburg wants a center and a top 4 d back. Before Henrique got traded to Anaheim, I would have said that that would have been a decent deal to work around. Again, it depends on what the Pens actually want. A hockey deal can always be made in the middle of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad