Sportsnet: Kyper: Canucks could buy out Garland this summer.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As an Oiler fan I would make a trade for him. Have to have cap going back but it would be short term.

Pujujarvi RFA at the end of the year
Yamamoto good little player but been injured all year. 1 year left after this one
2nd round pick 2023
3rd round pick 2024

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kyper: was on Tim and Friends yesterday and during the Canucks portion of the conversation he very quickly mentioned Garland as a buyout candidate.

This is why I don't trust Kyper, because the mere of buying out Garland seems ridiculous, I know it hasn't been a great year to say the least but surely he's not a negative value asset.

I just don't see it.
Habs would offer Hoffman even up trade. A move help both players

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The exact type of winger that would be an upgrade offensively to the Jets bottom 6 with ability to move into the top 6 seamlessly if injuries arise.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Garland is young enough that a buyout makes 2/3 of his contract goes away so their cap hit is a lot smaller with a buyout.

They also likely want the cap space next season, hence the buyout, so they can’t take a cap dump.

View attachment 641454

Incorrect. Garland is age 26 and will be 27 before any buyout can occur. For the discounted buyout the player has to be age 25 or younger.

The reason the buyout cap hits are lower is because the contract is backloaded. Vancouver would still be paying Garland $11.33m of the $17m remaining on his contract.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's Kyper so i'm not going to put a whole ton of stock in it and get too worried just yet...But at the same time, are you actually shitting me?

Buying out Garland would be such an absurd thing to do. On just so many levels, it makes no sense. If this ends up coming to pass, this organization is even more of a trainwreck than it seems. Just spazzing out in every direction at once with no real vision or plan, or ability to identify the actual problems plaguing the organization.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Pulju, Yamo, Foegele, and '23 1st for Garland, Kuzmenko, 3rd
Two cap dumps don't get you Garland
The late 1st also doesn't get you Kuzmenko and a 3rd

Puljujarvi on a good day is worth a 3rd
Yamamoto might fetch a late to mid 2nd, but has questionable injury history lately

Garland buyout only makes sense if you can get both Kuzy and Horvat to re-sign.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The guy had 50+ points just last year and 39 points in 49 games the year before that

That's easily worth 5 million that's not a negative value contract, he's on the worst run team in the sport.
Not if you watch the games.

Garland is effective only in a very particular situation. Put him on a big team with limited finesse where he's insulated and doesn't have to do anything that doesn't match his skillset, he's probably useful.

He's brutal on our team. Casuals look at his even strength points and like his spins that go nowhere, but the truth is that he doesn't play well with anybody. He's a hat on a hat, not what our team needs. And he's never, ever a part of a prolonged possession because he can't cycle, doesn't use his teammates very well, and constantly shoots from horrendous angles.

The bad angle shots are useful when they're unexpected, but he never penetrates to the middle of the ice, so he's constantly shooting from like behind the goal line and it's just handing over possession.

I really hope we don't have to buy him out and can get something better than a negative asset in return for him, but I'm very ready to see him leave.

In fact, I think OEL's injuries have made him worse than he was, and his contract is horrendous, but in terms of pure on-ice contribution I think Garland is literally a worse example of pro-scouting to team fit than even OEL was.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Lol

I remember when Vancouver fans wanted a deal around 4tb OA for him.
Also remember when people were saying he was better than Nylander lol.

@Foppberg @elitepete @JAK @Love @InfinityIggy

• Love
Reactions: Foppberg

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Why though? Garland hasn't been the problem. 40 some points playing on our third line (mostly) without significant PP time is just fine for under 5 million a season from where I am sitting. He's not far behind Mikheyev either, so should he be a buy out candidate to this braintrust as well?
$5 mill for a winger that scores 10+ goals is a big problem.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I saw Canucks and Buy out and just came to say they couldn't buy a vowel after they way management treated Bruce. The fans have shown a ton of class over the years and they deserve some credit but at some point, I'm hoping they take pitch forks and force management out.

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I've been saying this since before we moved him, Garland is super overrated and its not surprising that nobody wants him.
Teams don't want a mediocre midget winger, who also has a huge ego and seems to be a locker room cancer.

LosPollosHermanos

Jan 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
My same thoughts...

Yotes and Canucks fans..... have either of you heard of any?
I always got the impression that he's a huge douche. Seems like the kind of guy nobody wants around, despite being somewhat skilled at hockey. I just don't think players/anybody respects him very much.
Remember when Mackinnon threw a helmet at his face? Remember Last week when he got punched in the face?That's a sign that you don't really have the respect of the other players out there.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I always got the impression that he's a huge douche. Seems like the kind of guy nobody wants around, despite being somewhat skilled at hockey. I just don't think players/anybody respects him very much.
Remember when Mackinnon threw a helmet at his face? Remember Last week when he got punched in the face?That's a sign that you don't really have the respect of the other players out there.
Thank you for the reply

Also your username is awesome!!

or should I say
it-is-acceptable-gus-fring-acceptable.gif

• Haha
Reactions: LosPollosHermanos

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Feels like this is a feeler put out to attract sharks to trade.

In particular Carolina would be all over this. We'd love to trade for him, but we wouldn't pony up big assets. Kinda feels like Vancouver has to deal either Garland or Boeser and there aren't many teams who can afford their full cap hits.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not if you watch the games.

Garland is effective only in a very particular situation. Put him on a big team with limited finesse where he's insulated and doesn't have to do anything that doesn't match his skillset, he's probably useful.

He's brutal on our team. Casuals look at his even strength points and like his spins that go nowhere, but the truth is that he doesn't play well with anybody. He's a hat on a hat, not what our team needs. And he's never, ever a part of a prolonged possession because he can't cycle, doesn't use his teammates very well, and constantly shoots from horrendous angles.

The bad angle shots are useful when they're unexpected, but he never penetrates to the middle of the ice, so he's constantly shooting from like behind the goal line and it's just handing over possession.

I really hope we don't have to buy him out and can get something better than a negative asset in return for him, but I'm very ready to see him leave.

In fact, I think OEL's injuries have made him worse than he was, and his contract is horrendous, but in terms of pure on-ice contribution I think Garland is literally a worse example of pro-scouting to team fit than even OEL was.

Since he joined the Canucks he is the top 5v5 scorer. How did that happen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad