Kyle Palmieri​ is a top 10 RW

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's 6th in goals and 13th in points among RW'ers over the past two seasons, despite playing for a team with the 2nd lowest GF/60 during that period. He's a complete player who can do it all. He contributes on both sides of the ice, plays in all situations, and hits like a truck.

After a slow start that saw him take 31 games to score his 5th goal, he now leads the devils in goals, points, and +/- with 25g 48p +4 despite playing on a team that is 28th in goals with a -43 goal differential. He also plays only 17:13 mins/game, with about 1 minute of that on the PK.

Over the past 20 games, he's really heated up with 14g 20p +3 (even though the devils went 6-11-3 in that span). He's got with 21g 34p in his last 40.

I'd put him up there as a top 10 RW'er moving forward. His play style and progression reminds me a lot of Brad Marchand - feisty little guys who are exceptionally strong on the puck with great shots and puck skills. It took both guys about 5-6 years after being drafted to really emerge as top line forwards. Hopefully Palmieri can continue his progression and get to that level - he's 3 years younger so he's got time, at the same age I'd say he's arguably ahead of Marchand.

What say you? Am I way off base?

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
RW better than him: Kane, Kessel, Hossa, Laine, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Stone, Pasternak, Foligno, Voracek, Simmonds, Perry (really down year), Pavelski, Toffoli, etc.. he's pretty good, definitely top 30 RW'ers but imo a good but outside the top 10

dream43

Nov 19, 2013
He is a very good player who took the next step to becoming border line great last year and now is an impact full 25-30 G, 50-60 point winger with good Defense. But Considering all of that I think he is closer to a Top 15-20 RW than Top 10 which is still very good.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
RW better than him: Kane, Kessel, Hossa, Laine, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Stone, Pasternak, Foligno, Voracek, Simmonds, Perry (really down year), Pavelski, Toffoli, etc.. he's pretty good, definitely top 30 RW'ers but imo a good but outside the top 10

Kane
Tarasenko
Kucherov
Laine
Kessel
Wheeler

Are the RW who I'd say are definitely better than him. I think the rest of your list are debatable, as a lot of those guys rely on their teammates. I think I could confidently say going forward he's between 7-15 among RWs

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

You're forgetting a few Cam Atkinson and Blake Wheeler. I'd also rank Alexander Radulov over Kyle Palmieri as well.

However, unfortunately Marian Hossa isn't in the same class as these guys anymore IMO. Tyler Toffoli is on even par as Palmieri.

That's about 14 RWers above Palmieri. So I'd say he's certainly in the discussions as a top 15 RW.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Kane
Tarasenko
Kucherov
Laine
Kessel
Wheeler

Are the RW who I'd say are definitely better than him. I think the rest of your list are debatable, as a lot of those guys rely on their teammates. I think I could confidently say going forward he's between 7-15 among RWs

Stone and Pasternak are both younger and better than him right now

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Kane
Tarasenko
Kucherov
Laine
Kessel
Wheeler

Pavelski is on pace for 30+ goals, which would be four straight for him.

He's easily better than Palmieri.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Is a thread about the 10th - 20th best RW in hockey really mainboard worthy?

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Kane, Wheeler, Atkinson, Laine, Kucherov, Kessel, Tarasenko, Pastrnak, Voracek, Perry & Pavelski are all better than Palmieri.

He's a little underrated though, he's definitely in the same tier as guys like Simmonds, Stone, Toffoli & Foligno. Definitely not a top 10 right winger, but i'd have him in the top 20 for sure, probably in the 15-18 range.

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Kane, Wheeler, Atkinson, Laine, Kucherov, Kessel, Tarasenko, Pastrnak, Voracek, Perry & Pavelski are all better than Palmieri.

He's a little underrated though, he's definitely in the same tier as guys like Simmonds, Stone, Toffoli & Foligno. Definitely not a top 10 right winger, but i'd have him in the top 20 for sure, probably in the 15-18 range.

He's not close to Simmonds. simmonds is much better and effective. As a Pens fan, I'd take Simmonds 10/10.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
He's too streaky to be top 10. He'll go missing for weeks. Still a solid 2nd line RW.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Close to top 10. I'd probably have him on my list, but he is borderline and it's probably safer to call him top-20.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Is a thread about the 10th - 20th best RW in hockey really mainboard worthy?

Because he's been on a tear lately on pace for consecutive 30 goal seasons playing for the New Jersey Devils? Considering Laine has had about 25 main board threads this season I figure it's fair he gets a mention.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Love Palms. I think he should be our captain after Greene retires. Guy has no fear.

I wasn't big on his playmaking last year, but ever since they moved him to his natural RW side on the PP he's been dynamic. His chemistry with Hall is something else.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He's a top line RW on about half the teams in the league. The rest probably have a RW better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad