Kyle Greentree - Why no love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
I've been reading up on this guy a bit lately, and wonder why no NHL club took a flyer on him.
6'3, 200 - physical force on the ice, was wooed by the Kootenay Ice a couple years back, but stayed with Victoria of the BCHL in order to go NCAA.
Tore up the league (115 pts in 59 games in 03-04).
Now the leader for Alaska-Fairbanks.
32 points in 37 games as a freshman last year. Now, he's a bit old for a sophmore ('83 birthdate), but from what I've heard he's a real talent.
Anyone seen this guy play? Do you think a team will sign him?

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I was actually wondering the same a couple years ago myself. Saw him play with the Salsa a number of times. Sorta forgot about him after he left Victoria, but good to see he's done well in Alaska...anyone got any info on him?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
He can certainly shoot the puck but he is a poor skater.

I wouldn't say poor, but I'd say below-average for an NHLer. That's likely why he wasn't drafted. That said, he's big, tough, and can put the puck in the net when he gets there.

Ask anyone on the Devils board and they'll say I've been pushing this guy for a while now. I still maintain that he can be an effective pro along the lines of his former Salsa teammate and current Devil prospect Aaron Voros; a potential solid third line winger with hands to pop 10-15 goals per season, maybe 20 in a career year. He'll need a break (ie a team to take notice), and I really hope that the Devils are taking note of him (they should know a lot about him after scouting Voros in Victoria and his now-teammate Tyler Eckford at UAF).

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
I worked for the Salsa when Tree was there and he definitely has goal scoring ability in quantitude. He (as mentioned) has one heck of a shot and reads the offensive zone well. I to some extent thought (at the time) that he was really made to look better than he was by Pierre Napert-Frenette (his centre) but he was equally as good in the following year following Pierre's exit to Holy Cross. His skating was not good and apparently is not still but he made do very well with his positioning and goal-scoring instincts. I joked once that he was something of a Dave Andreychuk type and my jest was legitimately received by many in the Salsa organization and I stick by this assesment. I honestly don't know how he'd be as a pro, but he was a goal-scoring machine in the BCJHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad