Votes: 9 16.4%
  • For a top pairing defence

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • For 1st rounder and player

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Kyle Connor is a talented regular season offensive player (30 goals in 55 games ) but it seems the Jets nosedive coincided with his return. I would never lay all the blame at his feet but he does average over 19 minutes per game, loses most board battles and seems generally to be lazy despite being one of the fastest layers on the team.

It would be hard to replace his 30 plus goal but if this team is committed to defence first then they need to think if he is a long term fit.

It may come down to having to trade him or Ehlers.

Reactions: hn777

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think folks overstate you can't win with x, y, or z player. Players of similar play style to kc have won cups, it's the linemate mix, situations etc. their used in. The obvious example is Kessel with PIT who was still V productive but perhaps lesser down the line up than expected.

The Jets were at their best during the stretch kc was out and that included big wins over COL BOS LA TBL and DET (some mid teams like MIN in there and some trash teams ofc). Their scoring didn't falter as much expected either. Not going to make any long term conclusions of 16 games but idk how folks see that stretch and thought this team needed a whole bunch of upgrades in the top 6,.

So I wouldn't trade him unless it's a top pair RHD being offered. But personally don't see that either. Like who is training a bonafaide top pair RHD for Connor? :dunno:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yes. There was a thread in around December/January on the main boards asking about the value of Brady Tkachuk. I replied that I would move Connor and a high pick for Tkachuk and a couple of Sens fans were shocked at the offer lol.

Connor isn't a bad player and to be honest his perception among the fanbase is more a fault of the coach/deployment then it is on him. He probably takes more blame than he should because people see him as what caused the breakup of 27-55-13 line which was pound for pound the most dominant top line we've had ever since Wheeler started to decline.

Connor was not a problem last season, PLD for all his faults somehow brought the best out of Connor whereas Scheifele/Connor together somehow seem to bring the worst out of each other. The main problem is that this season the Jets coaches are playing Connor like he is prime-Wheeler a guy who you play on the top line in all situations whereas in reality he is more closer to some of the better seasons of Laine in Winnipeg. He would find more success and probably be less of a whipping boy if he was deployed more like Laine was with the Jets (including keeping him away from 55, except on the PP and as a nuclear option late in games when trailing).

If it is between choosing between him and Ehlers, it is Ehlers and it is not even close for me. They are both basically the same age and imo Ehlers brings more to the lineup if you are forced to pick between the two of them.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Kyle Connor is a talented regular season offensive player (30 goals in 55 games ) but it seems the Jets nosedive coincided with his return. I would never lay all the blame at his feet but he does average over 19 minutes per game, loses most board battles and seems generally to be lazy despite being one of the fastest layers on the team.

It would be hard to replace his 30 plus goal but if this team is committed to defence first then they need to think if he is a long term fit.

It may come down to having to trade him or Ehlers.
I wonder if the same "the Jets won more with Toby out of the line up but correlation is not causation" folk feel the same way about Connor

I'd be loathe to ever trade a 30 goal scorer (with 40+ potential). With 2 years left after this one, you won't get max value for him

Reactions: AlaskaJet

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
As far as perceived worth is concerned, KC is the better trade chip. Notice how the season started to go off the rails when he came back from injury? He isn't a driver. He's only good from 40' in to the OZ net. He doesn't win board battles, and shies away from most contact. Ehlers is the more valuable player, hands down.

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
He’s a riddle wrapped inside a mystery inside an emigna that doesn’t get in the corners and doesn’t drive play but hangs out near the blue line
Perhaps he's told to be there: just another possibility.:)

• Wow

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Here's my question. With the obvious improvement in 55's overall game, I'd say he still takes some shifts off and the fact Lowry is our captain coupled with fact the perceived locker room distractions in Wheeler and Hollywood are gone, how is KFC'S lackadaisical play not being addressed?

Just because he scores?

The coaches I'm sure actually look at game tape despite how often, especially lately the faithful have suggested just burning the tape.
Are the players not present when this is going on?

Surely somebody on the team or the organization has the gonads to speak up. Every players makes bad plays, often it's just the speed of the game that causes them.

But how many goals or grade A scoring chances could have been prevented with KFC on the ice if he had stocked check or took a body even a little instead of giving a hearty "hey how you doing" as opposing players flew by him or blew a shot he could have maybe altered by doing something instead of watching someone fish the puckmout of the back of our net.

In a regular 9 to 5 environment effort like KFC'S gets you potentially fired or reprimanded.

If it comes down to keeping KFC or Ehlers I vote Ehlers. Frustrating in his own way but stuff happens when he's on the ice.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Here's my question. With the obvious improvement in 55's overall game, I'd say he still takes some shifts off and the fact Lowry is our captain coupled with fact the perceived locker room distractions in Wheeler and Hollywood are gone, how is KFC'S lackadaisical play not being addressed?

Just because he scores?

The coaches I'm sure actually look at game tape despite how often, especially lately the faithful have suggested just burning the tape.

Surely somebody on the team or the organization has the gonads to speak up. Every players makes bad plays, often it's just the speed of the game that causes them.

But how many goals or grade A scoring chances could have been prevented with KFC on the ice if he had stocked check or took a body even a little instead of giving a hearty "hey how you doing" as opposing players flew by him or blew a shot he could have maybe altered by doing something instead of watching someone fish the puckmout of the back of our net.

In a regular 9 to 5 environment effort like KFC'S gets you potentially fired or reprimanded.

If it comes down to keeping KFC or Ehlers I vote Ehlers. Frustrating in his own way but stuff happens when he's on the ice.
Reminds me of the Maurice line about 'connor... I don't have to coach that guy.'

Or he did have to. Because he was the coach. And now it's too late...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Just because he scores?

I beleive it was after 18-19: in a season where he wasn't even terrible ehlers came out and said he watched every shift He played and tried to determine where he could make improvements. I'm sure KC does similar?

• Haha

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
KFC is an enigma wrapped in a puzzle wrapped in bacon.
images.jpeg

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I beleive it was after 18-19: in a season where he wasn't even terrible ehlers came out and said he watched every shift He played and tried to determine where he could make improvements. I'm sure KC does similar?
Ehlers' dad probably told him to.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Keep him and put in the 4th so he can learn how to grind the game out.
Or if he’s still the same trade him once he gets old and can not score many goals He a liability if he cannot score goals

Reactions: AlaskaJet and hn777

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Yes. There was a thread in around December/January on the main boards asking about the value of Brady Tkachuk. I replied that I would move Connor and a high pick for Tkachuk and a couple of Sens fans were shocked at the offer lol.

Connor isn't a bad player and to be honest his perception among the fanbase is more a fault of the coach/deployment then it is on him. He probably takes more blame than he should because people see him as what caused the breakup of 27-55-13 line which was pound for pound the most dominant top line we've had ever since Wheeler started to decline.

Connor was not a problem last season, PLD for all his faults somehow brought the best out of Connor whereas Scheifele/Connor together somehow seem to bring the worst out of each other. The main problem is that this season the Jets coaches are playing Connor like he is prime-Wheeler a guy who you play on the top line in all situations whereas in reality he is more closer to some of the better seasons of Laine in Winnipeg. He would find more success and probably be less of a whipping boy if he was deployed more like Laine was with the Jets (including keeping him away from 55, except on the PP and as a nuclear option late in games when trailing).

If it is between choosing between him and Ehlers, it is Ehlers and it is not even close for me. They are both basically the same age and imo Ehlers brings more to the lineup if you are forced to pick between the two of them.
Great and logical analysis.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

Just because he scores?

I think it is the Jets inferiority complex that shines through when it comes to this type of player. It is not easy to find goal scorers who are all streaky except Matthews. The jets pander to these guys who sign longterm aka Wheeler no matter how they affect team play . They are just happy the decide to stay so the team does not reprimand them and hence you get lazy connor.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Keep him and put in the 4th so he can learn how to grind the game out.
Or if he’s still the same trade him once he gets old and can not score many goals He a liability if he cannot score goals
Luckily he scores more than most. That said, I’d move him as he has been frustrating as hell. This core is not a winner and he is a large part of the problem.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
To me the issue is more about how KC is being utilized. I think a player with his goal scoring abilities can certainly make the Jets (and really any team) better, provided that he is used correctly. He has some defensive flaws and he therefore has to be paired with the right linemates. I think the fanbase (myself included) is more frustrated with the coaching staff’s inability to understand that our goal differentials (and hence winning ability) improves dramatically with Ehlers + Scheifele on the 1st line, & with KC on a separate line (i.e., the second line). Given the data that exists on this, the way KC / Ehlers are being utilized is candidly inexplicable and it’s baffling that people making seven figure salaries to coach this team haven’t figured this out/seem to ignore it. The Murat Ates article from a few weeks ago on this whole Ehlers thing explained all this. One would think that NHL coaches for the Jets have access to this data that we all have. I really don’t understand what Bones/Arniel are trying to accomplish, but it could cost us a serious chance at a cup this year — the strange line combo experiment has already essentially cost us the Central and likely the 2nd seed in the central at this stage, when we were once in the driver seat with game(s) in hand).

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
He should not be on the 1st line. Period. He either doesnt want to or is incapable of winning puck battles so he gets eaten alive in his own end on the cycle. I cant even count how many times this year our 1st line gets pinned in their zone for an entire shift, directly because of Connor. It appears all he wants to do is float around the blue line waiting for a breakout pass. He should be on the second line. Or even better traded for a legit top line winger with a 200 foot game.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I swear its in his contract that he must be played with Scheifele on the 1st line. Its the only explanation for the coaches refusal to budge from something that clearly isnt working and is more often than not a detriment to the team.

Reactions: Hobble and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad