Confirmed with Link: Kuznetsov waived/placed on waivers (Update: 3/3/24 clears waivers, assigned to AHL Hershey)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
These are also guys in their early 20s suddenly getting money and ”opportunities” most can never dream of, used to someone else taking care of things for them.

Some will look up to wrong persons and do dumb shit, some wont. Thats the part where i hope ”everyone knew it” isnt the case, because thats a case sort of silent approval IF it gets overlooked (which i dont know happenef), and the young guys see it too.

Im close to my 40s with pretty structured life and still occasionally doing dumb shit lol.

But as i said having a little back and forth with g00n, at this point im just speculating on rumours and jumping onto conclusions on a topic that im a bit ”emotionally” invested on so its a conversation not worth having. I have no real knowledge whats happened on the saga so its just some dumb shit on its own to throw this sort of speculation carelessly around. I sincerely apologize and step back on it :)
The “structured life” of a civilian isn’t the same as an NHL player….not even worth comparing.

I feel ya though on this topic…

I have totally heard of those people.

Seriously….that would be line what lol?

Reactions: Calicaps

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Not a reason to look up to someone, but sure.

These are professional athletes….guys that are used to leading and living a structured life…..not dumb shit teens off the street.

I can’t imagine any guys idolizing Kuzy if they all really knew what he had going on….hell AA went against his advice and resigned here…

Well. Have you met young hockey players? They're definitely not known for good behaviour/judgment.

Reactions: Hivemind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well. Have you met young hockey players? They're definitely not known for good behaviour/judgment.
I don’t see a ton of bad press for all the young professional hockey players who are f’ing up en Masse, just a few here or there typically…if you think they’re idolizing this guy….I disagree. We can move on.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Kuzy would be giving up $6M if he agrees to a mutual termination of contract ($8M if it happens before his $2M signing bonus is applied at the start of the new league calendar).

Unlikely he would be able to get a $6M+ contract from any other NHL or KHL team (top guys in the KHL are only making around $1.5M USD with the current exchange rates).
Yes he would. $2M bonus on July 1 and $6M in salary. Depends on how he wants to move on but if he wants out he has to contribute money. It is his choice. But feels like he wants to move on. maybe he plays this year in Hershey, waits for bonus and gives us $6M. Signs for 3-4M. So he ultimately ends up losing a couple million but he gets to move on. Maybe he goes sooner. If I’m AZ or CHI or ANA I might sign him for 2 years and try to move a controlled contract at draft.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hockey Canada now has 4 sexual assault scandals to their youth groups. But yeah, moving on.
To be fair (which is hard to do, considering the topic); it’s not 4 separate scandals though, right? It’s one really big scandal, off of one terrible incident.

I honestly don’t know what it says about the state of youth hockey. There are obviously some serious problems. And at the highest levels.

However I am not sure I see it as flaws everywhere. And that it’s “everyone”. It’s a small percentage of these kids. Broad brush and all.

But man, it’s a brutal subsection/underbelly for youth hockey. And it need to be addressed (I’m sure football, basketball, baseball, and soccer youth groups have similar stories to hockey. But just not as sensational.

Lots of victims. And a lot of good kids too.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
To be fair (which is hard to do, considering the topic); it’s not 4 separate scandals though, right? It’s one really big scandal, off of one terrible incident.

I honestly don’t know what it says about the state of youth hockey. There are obviously some serious problems. And at the highest levels.

However I am not sure I see it as flaws everywhere. And that it’s “everyone”. It’s a small percentage of these kids. Broad brush and all.

But man, it’s a brutal subsection/underbelly for youth hockey. And it need to be addressed (I’m sure football, basketball, baseball, and soccer youth groups have similar stories to hockey. But just not as sensational.

What's our time frame here, because I've seen a lot of references to the '03 team. When Hockey Canada basically has a slush fund for hush money it's not an encouraging sign that this is isolated and unexpected.

I was going to address the "everyone knew" about Kuzy thing but frankly the attitude around sexual misconduct can be similar: there's having a hunch that is later validated, there's knowing a little, there's knowing a lot you can't act on, and then there's having actionable information and doing nothing. Different members of the Blackhawks, for example, fall into these different categories, where most of the players might be more group 1 and 2 (with an occasional 3, maybe) while some of their front office was definitely somewhere between 3 and 4.

So some players might "know", some might know but not really be able to accomplish much with that information, a few probably knew enough to try to help but can only lead a horse to water... and virtually none of the players can take actionable decisions without basically voting him off the team survivor style as a distraction (and I wonder if the NHLPA wouldn't take issue with that). Sometimes what we "know" or "knew all along" is still just unconfirmed speculation that gets rewritten in the brain as "knowing" for longer than you knew.

So for Kuznetsov and the Caps, if it's really some kind of hushed/half-open secret there may not be too many players who knew enough in time to actually do anything about it, but it suuuuuure does make me question his usage. At a certain point it kind of stops feeling like asking a guy with a lot of talent to play back into form and seems a lot more like asking a guy who was performing at his best while on drugs to somehow find that level while hopefully not doing the drugs, but maybe doing the drugs? There's nothing in the CBA that guarantees you ice time, especially when you perform like shit, so if we're calling it an open secret why has coaching been willing (both now and in the past) to keep riding a lame horse? Doesn't that feel like telling your sober, alcoholic friend that you don't want them to drink but you miss all the fun you used to have together and how awesome they were to be around?

Athletes are far from the only type of performer to develop a "need" for a drug to get stage ready, develop a nasty habit, and eventually become a shitshow nobody can watch anymore in the process anyway... sometimes you cancel the tour for the health of everyone involved and I kind of wonder why they kept pushing him out there, and if it helped or hurt.

Last edited:

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

Yeah for sure a small percentage does crap like that. But 18-22 year olds who become millionaires playing a sport and more often than not comes from a priviligied (spelling?) background definitely both have and can become bad role models. Even normal teens do crazy stiff cause they're supposed to, it's part of the teen stuff. They aren't being forced into being role models though.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
1. Mini Celebrini/puckmoving D tank, adding more draft capital.
2. Revitalize your 1C's perspective and love for the game.
3. Call up the 1C next season and use your new-found futures depth to round out a competitive roster
4. Make another few runs with your vets leading a younger, hungrier core.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Good for Kuzy for reporting. I'm rooting for a full recovery and a reenergized return to DC, but I've always been a fan of the guy.

When do the Bears play the Phantoms? Kuzy v. Ryjo! A classic AHL matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad