Player Discussion Kurtis Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Sounds good. I heard he is also very, very strong, which will come handy along the boards and establishing the cycle. Your updates are much appreciated, looking forward to seeing him play among the pros.

what this guy said.

keep up the input--always appreciate when guys with a little first hand knowledge express their opinions here.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
There must be something beyond the stats because Russo is currently doing a live chat and has reiterated more than once that Gabriel is highly coveted by this organization.

Fletcher made clear he wasn't trading a prospect and he also said the guys everybody asked for were Dumba, Olofsson and Gabriel
Wild absolutely love him. Physical specimen

This piggybacks on much of what we already know but it's still pretty interesting.

Also, have to laugh at this:
Scrub: Sure seems like this team is a more cohesive unit without Koivu in the lineup. They looked great when he was out, and he's been awful since his return.
Russo: He's been awful? I mean, honestly

TheTimeKnife

Mar 11, 2014
Oregon
I believe it, I saw Gabriel at training camp and he definitely surprised me. Big guy who seemed very committed. Obviously his scoring ability doesn't impress but Id bet money on him being a late bloomer. Definitely could be a decent bottom six forward, and contribute in a strong way defensively.

Particularly if Fletch wants to add size, I bet the Oilers offered a trade for him too. He would be of potential value for any team looking to improve its size and defensive abilities of its roster.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Yeo/Fletcher do seem enamored with physical attributes over the hockey ones.

I always thought that they valued the "intangibles" the most. Love drafting the high character guys/captains/hard workers. Don't really see them drafting danglers, but you don't really see them drafting these huge, brute forwards either.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I always thought that they valued the "intangibles" the most. Love drafting the high character guys/captains/hard workers. Don't really see them drafting danglers, but you don't really see them drafting these huge, brute forwards either.

I guess Graovac, Phillips and Bertschy count as danglers/skill players, if we talk about recent drafts only. Granlund, too. I agree though, the management seems to prefer two-way forwards and good defensive abilities over skill and scoring touch. It's not a bad approach to be honest, but I could see them drafting few more skill guys in next two-three years.

With that said, you always take the BPA.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
My hope is that Kurtis Gabriel can become a Matt Read/Matt Cooke type bottom 6 guy.

He doesn't seem to have Matt Cooke's skill set though. To me, he seems more like a Milan Lucic lite, a guy who simply is so strong that he can't be stopped. Not the fastest guy, not the most skilled, but simply something unstoppable.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Completely missed this, but Gabriel was apparently recalled on Saturday.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good. Jets would've eaten Baertschy alive. Plus I'm getting tired of spelling Baertschy.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think we've discussed this before but a 3rd rnd pick for this guy was way to high should have been a 6th or 7th. another draft mistake by CF's team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm sure he'll punch somebody and that will make a lot of people happy. Won't have anything to do with hockey, but hey.

I thought he was supposed to have some hockey skills? Nothing fancy, but able to play on a fourth line.

I don't want a guy who's main skill is punching, but I'm good with a guy like Carter who plays a decent game, can go into the corners and not be a victim, and, if need be(i.e. if Granlund or Brodin or Poms is getting abused )stand up for his team mates. I don't want to see Parise getting in a fight to protect Granlund.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I thought he was supposed to have some hockey skills? Nothing fancy, but able to play on a fourth line.

I don't want a guy who's main skill is punching, but I'm good with a guy like Carter who plays a decent game, can go into the corners and not be a victim, and, if need be(i.e. if Granlund or Brodin or Poms is getting abused )stand up for his team mates. I don't want to see Parise getting in a fight to protect Granlund.

All I heard of him his he is a "hard worker" but not the greatest skater.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fourth liners typically at least produced at lower levels of hockey. Haven't seen that out of Gabriel at any point aside from his overage season of junior hockey, and even that wasn't impressive.

He can hit and fight and that's about it.

Mike Rupp?

P10p

May 15, 2012
Fourth liners typically at least produced at lower levels of hockey. Haven't seen that out of Gabriel at any point aside from his overage season of junior hockey, and even that wasn't impressive.

He can hit and fight and that's about it.

Not necessarily true. I will reserve judgement until I have seen him play myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad