Confirmed with Link: Kuokkanen signs 2 year contract (1.825M AAV)

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
No, definitely not me. You must have missed the faceoff argument on this board from this past weekend.

I literally do not care about judging a player based on faceoffs....at all. The percentages aren't something I care about either way.

How much would you offer him if he has another season like his first two?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I honestly think that is a problem...How can you pay Jack based on his performance so far?

Those 3 ELC years are supposed to be value for the club before they get the big contract...We've burned through 2 of Jack's 3 years and got absolutely nothing out of it.

Jack is going to need a massive year this year to justify any sort of Nico contract.

Nico 3 years of ELC 135 points in 209 games = 53 point pace - Not great but not bad either.
Jack 2 years of ELC 52 points in 117 games = 36 point pace - Putrid - Gross -Disaster.
Because that past point production isn’t best way to judge Hughes. He was our best player in a crap year, the 1C is a pretty critical role.

We would of been much worse if Nico was out and Hughes wasn’t on the team. Zajac at 1C…

I don’t know what contract he’s getting but I would give Nico’s right now, I’m very confident he would easily be worth it.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
How much would you offer him if he has another season like his first two?

I would offer Jack the same contract Nico got right now and see if he would sign it....chances are he wouldn't even think about doing that.

Also, if you are thinking that Jack was the same player in year 2 that he was in year 1, you weren't paying attention.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Because that past point production isn’t best way to judge Hughes. He was our best player in a crap year, the 1C is a pretty critical role.

We would of been much worse if Nico was out and Hughes wasn’t on the team. Zajac at 1C…

I don’t know what contract he’s getting but I would give Nico’s right now, I’m very confident he would easily be worth it.

Unfortunately every subsequent player that needs a contract will use the Nico and Jack contracts as a measuring stick.

Do you not see the domino effect here? You gave out too rich of a contract to Nico...Jack will have an argument to be paid similar... Bratt has much better offensive numbers than Jack at every step of the way and who is say his potential isn't still high...You really want 20+ million wrapped up in these 3 players long term? I personally don't think their skill warrants it.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I would offer Jack the same contract Nico got right now and see if he would sign it....chances are he wouldn't even think about doing that.

Also, if you are thinking that Jack was the same player in year 2 that he was in year 1, you weren't paying attention.

I didn't say that. You should get paid what you produce right? Nico got overpaid already, you can't pay these guys just because they were picked 1.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

I agree 100%. I wonder if he would bite at 8 years 8.5. Pay for future production and hope he pans out

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I agree 100%. I wonder if he would bite at 8 years 8.5. Pay for future production and hope he pans out
For Jack? Yikes? You Pay Jack 8 get ready for Bratt to ask for 5/6.

That would be about 22 Million in 3 players that have never been over 50 point pace...That's a quarter of the cap today...for 3 guys that have never produced much of anything. That is silliness in my opinion.

The other problem with Jack getting 8 is inevitably, at some point you are going to have to pay a winger substantial money make him effective. We are already hearing the calls to get Jack the proper linemates - Guys that "need" proper linemates to succeed don't get to eat up 10% of the cap...That is just dumb.

Maybe they all have monster years and the calculus changes but right now...The thought of paying these 3 guys upward and over 25% of the cap sound absurd to me.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I didn't say that. You should get paid what you produce right? Nico got overpaid already, you can't pay these guys just because they were picked 1.

No, you should get paid for what you are PREDICTED to produce in the future

paying guys based on past accomplishments is what gets GMs in trouble.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
For Jack? Yikes? You Pay Jack 8 get ready for Bratt to ask for 5/6.

That would be about 22 Million in 3 players that have never been over 50 point pace...That's a quarter of the cap today...for 3 guys that have never produced much of anything. That is silliness in my opinion.

The other problem with Jack getting 8 is inevitably, at some point you are going to have to pay a winger substantial money make him effective. We are already hearing the calls to get Jack the proper linemates - Guys that "need" proper linemates to succeed don't get to eat up 10% of the cap...That is just dumb.

Maybe they all have monster years and the calculus changes but right now...The thought of paying these 3 guys upward and over 25% of the cap sound absurd to me.
Shaping up to be Leafs 2.0 here. Rookie gm overpaying guys that have never won anything.
I think drafting the brother was a mistake because now Jack must really feel like he is running the show

Reactions: MartyOwns

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Shaping up to be Leafs 2.0 here. Rookie gm overpaying guys that have never won anything.
I think drafting the brother was a mistake because now Jack must really feel like he is running the show

Fitzgerald hasn't really overpaid anyone. Unless you mean UFA's?

I think the mistake was setting the bar so high with Nico and that it will force inflated future contracts... that was a Shero mistake.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Like I said, if you guys think Jack Hughes would sign a 2 year, $4 million AAV contract extension, you really have no pulse on how this stuff works

Reactions: Darkauron

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Fitzgerald hasn't really overpaid anyone. Unless you mean UFA's?

I think the mistake was setting the bar so high with Nico and that it will force inflated future contracts... that was a Shero mistake.
I can actually live with the nico deal. You know 100 % jack will think he should get more and thats where it will go off the rails. Fitzy gonna have to dig in his heals on Jack. You gotta see this coming

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

A look at what Mac’s underlying numbers were when he signed his deal. They were paying for what he would become and it’s now basically the best deal in the league. I know what his stats were, you don’t need to post them Jim.

I like the preventiveness there :)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Good to know that we all understand that Gold and yellow snow is not the same thing.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
paying guys based on past accomplishments is what gets GMs in trouble.

Not necessarily. It's paying old guys based on past accomplishments that gets them in trouble. I don't see how we'd be in trouble if we signed him to long term contract on his 3rd one after he puts up a couple 50-60 pt seasons.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

A look at what Mac’s underlying numbers were when he signed his deal. They were paying for what he would become and it’s now basically the best deal in the league. I know what his stats were, you don’t need to post them Jim.

Like this will work.

Unfortunately every subsequent player that needs a contract will use the Nico and Jack contracts as a measuring stick.

Do you not see the domino effect here? You gave out too rich of a contract to Nico...Jack will have an argument to be paid similar... Bratt has much better offensive numbers than Jack at every step of the way and who is say his potential isn't still high...You really want 20+ million wrapped up in these 3 players long term? I personally don't think their skill warrants it.

Centers are more inherently valuable and Fitz would be gambling on his future production. 7.25m isn’t that much when you consider three UFA years are involved. [It’s a bit unclear when the salary cap is actually going to go up again though, but that’s a bigger discussion.]

There are arguments for bridge deals into a 8 year deal but “he hasn’t earned it!” isn’t actually one of them. It’s about estimating what are the best contacts in terms of age and cost are (plus how to keep top players from leaving as UFAs).

I don’t have a contract in mind for Bratt but it’s certainly going to be less than that unless his offensive production really kicks up. He’s older and an undersized winger. His goal scoring issues last season hurt him as well.

It’s really impossible to guess his contract numbers, I guess maybe something around 4-5m if things go well for him this season but I don’t know. That’s a complete random guess, his goal scoring has been really wonky, it’s been up and down and last season was screwy in general, that it’s hard to predict.

And I just realized this isn’t the regular team thread.

Congrats Janne!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad