Value of: Kulikov or Vatanen to the Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With the deadline just over a week away it's safe to say NJ is a seller.

With the Leafs looking to add the final cuo pieces in their push for a championship what woul Kulikov and/or Vatanen cost?

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Vatanen for a conditional 4th that moves up to a 3rd if the leafs make the conference finals

Most devils fans do not want to trade kulikov and would like to resign him. Something like kulikov for a conditional 2nd that moves up to a 1st if the leafs make the second round.

I would add Murray’s value would probably be right in the middle of those two: conditional 3rd that moves up to a second if the leafs make the conference finals

Reactions: banks

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Vatanen for a conditional 4th that moves up to a 3rd if the leafs make the conference finals

Most devils fans do not want to trade kulikov and would like to resign him. Something like kulikov for a conditional 2nd that moves up to a 1st if the leafs make the second round.

I would add Murray’s value would probably be right in the middle of those two: conditional 3rd that moves up to a second if the leafs make the conference finals
Lol Taylor Hall won’t even get a 1st let alone Kulikov

Reactions: Habsrule

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
If the Leafs are adding an extra defenceman, they should probably look at a guy who can play defence. Vatanen isn’t that.

If the Leafs are giving up a first, it’s for a better player than Kulikov. Never mind the fact Kulikov would be in the press box unless he’s in the lineup for Dermott.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Vatanen for a 3rd/4th would be of interest to me from a leaf perspective, or Kulikov at a round higher pick plus a prospect in pur 6-10 range.

Any D acquisition is more insurance from injuries though, we are really liking our D right now. So a lesser player at a lesser payment probably makes more sense.

Reactions: banks

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
With the deadline just over a week away it's safe to say NJ is a seller.

With the Leafs looking to add the final cuo pieces in their push for a championship what woul Kulikov and/or Vatanen cost?
dont' bother both those guys would not help in anyway...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kulikov is quietly having one of the more remarkable turnaround seasons of anybody in recent memory. Discarded bottom pairing defender who just hit 30 and the Devils picked up for basically nothing with no expectations and he’s essentially played like an elite...not just good but elite second pairing defender. With all the hubbub around the cost of guys like Savard, I’m not sure why more teams don’t target Kulikov who has been much, much better.

His goals for obviously influenced by a horrid team but I mean just across the board Kulikov has been a boss this year. There’s a lot more to trade cost than talent and there’s a reason a dirt cheap, reliable second pairing defender who does all the things any competing team wants to add would have value in the same range as a Taylor Hall.

C9-C14601-5512-4-AA6-8-FDD-75079-FC753-EC.jpg

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
If the Leafs are adding an extra defenceman, they should probably look at a guy who can play defence. Vatanen isn’t that.

If the Leafs are giving up a first, it’s for a better player than Kulikov. Never mind the fact Kulikov would be in the press box unless he’s in the lineup for Dermott.
Giving up a first is a lot I agree. He is worth a second and only a first as devil fans want to resign him. But no way he is in the press box over Dermott

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Obviously people have not watched Kulikov this year if they are making insane comments like “he’d be in the press box” or even lazily thinking that him and Vatanen have even remotely been in the same value range.

I don’t think Kulikov is worth a 1st either to rent but he’s important and been a bad man for the Devils who have thirsted for reliability on the backend. If somebody wants him, they either need to make it worth the Devils while or wait till the summer if New Jersey doesn’t resign him.

Reactions: Playing With Fire

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Agree he probably doesn't draw a first but a second he's worth it very underrated player....He's physical and pretty calm with the puck good shot too....

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
The only reason Devil fans wnat a first is because they want to re-sign him and giving him up for what he does isn't worth a second.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Yeah Vats has lost some of his lustre which will eat into his trade value. A year ago he was a serviceable top 4-er who could fill in for top minutes if needed as insurance, which he did while Canes waited on Hamilton.

Now he's more like a spare part 3RD with surprising upside in PK (where he's been good) and wildcard untapped potential in PP. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved for a 4th or even a 5th, where the low price could make him an enticing luxury item for a team with something less than a critical need.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah Vats has lost some of his lustre which will eat into his trade value. A year ago he was a serviceable top 4-er who could fill in for top minutes if needed as insurance, which he did while Canes waited on Hamilton.

Now he's more like a spare part 3RD with surprising upside in PK (where he's been good) and wildcard untapped potential in PP. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved for a 4th or even a 5th, where the low price could make him an enticing luxury item for a team with something less than a critical need.

If Vatanen can be had for 4th or 5th I'd JUMP at that because then you got.

Rielly Brodie

Muzzin Holl

Vatanen Bogosian

Dermott

If Dermott is your #7 you are doing pretty good that is championship level depth.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Kulikov is quietly having one of the more remarkable turnaround seasons of anybody in recent memory. Discarded bottom pairing defender who just hit 30 and the Devils picked up for basically nothing with no expectations and he’s essentially played like an elite...not just good but elite second pairing defender. With all the hubbub around the cost of guys like Savard, I’m not sure why more teams don’t target Kulikov who has been much, much better.

His goals for obviously influenced by a horrid team but I mean just across the board Kulikov has been a boss this year. There’s a lot more to trade cost than talent and there’s a reason a dirt cheap, reliable second pairing defender who does all the things any competing team wants to add would have value in the same range as a Taylor Hall.

C9-C14601-5512-4-AA6-8-FDD-75079-FC753-EC.jpg
The word you are looking for is OUTLIER. As a Jet fan I hope the Leafs pay a 2nd just so they can become a worse team and get to play against Kulikov. People considering a 2nd for him are out of their minds the ones considering giving a first I am not allowed to describe by HF rules.

Reactions: Pongs21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad