Speculation: Kulda

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Hopefully it was nothing more than flatulence that the author heard. The Jets qualified him, so why wouldn't they be interested in signing him?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Hopefully it was nothing more than flatulence that the author heard. The Jets qualified him, so why wouldn't they be interested in signing him?

They qualified him because he'd be a UFA if they didn't. I'm sure they have a mutual understanding where they'll bring Kulda to training camp to see how he does, and if he doesn't make the cut then he'll return to the KHL to continue his development while still being property of the Jets.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
They qualified him because he'd be a UFA if they didn't. I'm sure they have a mutual understanding where they'll bring Kulda to training camp to see how he does, and if he doesn't make the cut then he'll return to the KHL to continue his development while still being property of the Jets.

I think most players wouldn't come to camp unless they're under contract. Wouldn't the risk of injury be too high? If they get hurt in camp, then their chances of getting signed by any team, NHL or KHL or wherever, would greatly diminish.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I hope Kulda gets a shot, I really do. I'm pretty sure he will qualify for group 6 free agency next summer unless he hits 80 NHL games. He's played in 15.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think most players wouldn't come to camp unless they're under contract. Wouldn't the risk of injury be too high? If they get hurt in camp, then their chances of getting signed by any team, NHL or KHL or wherever, would greatly diminish.

Every camp has tryout players every year who aren't under contract, they're often prospects whose rights belong to that team but not always (Morrisson-Vancouver 2 years ago, Brule-Phoenix this year, Troy Bodie-Jets 2 years ago). Maybe he doesn't attend training camp but I'm sure that he's just weighing the possibility of him getting NHL time this year and when he realizes that the opportunity isn't there he'll be off to the KHL again. Which is best case scenario for everyone involved. He's playing top ice time in the 2nd best league, not taking time away from prospects in the AHL and still on good terms with the team.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Kulda is a dime-a-dozen plug. If he doesn't come to battle for a 7-8-9 spot, someone else will and in all likelihood they will do everything he does.

Yawn.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Who says he's a plug? I'd love for him to unseat Stuart or at least be our #7 guy, but there's just too much bodies floating in that area. Pardy, Redmond, Postma and potentially Kulda are all vying to be #6/#7.

I see Kulda going elsewhere in the NHL next summer. Especially if he doesn't get a contract or at least a training camp spot.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Found out something interesting the other day (through the fact that the Kings retained rights to SHL star RW Bud Holloway).

Let's say Kulda goes back overseas this season. He will NOT be eligible for Group VI UFA since he will be a "defected" player. So the Jets will retain his rights until he is 27 (unless he signs an SPC before then and it expires).

Just a note.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Who says he's a plug? I'd love for him to unseat Stuart or at least be our #7 guy, but there's just too much bodies floating in that area. Pardy, Redmond, Postma and potentially Kulda are all vying to be #6/#7.

I see Kulda going elsewhere in the NHL next summer. Especially if he doesn't get a contract or at least a training camp spot.

To me, Kulda is a perfect example of the draft-develop policy that the Jets say they are all about. Maybe the fact he got drafted by the Thrashers is having a bearing, although I wouldn't think so. I'm pretty sure Chevy is familiar with Kulda from as far back as his Wolves' days. Kulda was on that AHL championship team from about 5 years ago.

Sly Jets Fan

Mar 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Kulda is a dime-a-dozen plug. If he doesn't come to battle for a 7-8-9 spot, someone else will and in all likelihood they will do everything he does.

Yawn.

I agree. He's a lower tier D man. Personally, I think he gets way too much love on these boards.

Easily replaceable just like many of our UFA forwards from this off season.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Found out something interesting the other day (through the fact that the Kings retained rights to SHL star RW Bud Holloway).

Let's say Kulda goes back overseas this season. He will NOT be eligible for Group VI UFA since he will be a "defected" player. So the Jets will retain his rights until he is 27 (unless he signs an SPC before then and it expires).

Just a note.

I'm not entirely sure. Here's group VI free agency:

Group 6 Free Agents
(i) Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or
more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a
Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii)
in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the
purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of
thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played). For the
purposes of the foregoing, the term professional season shall: (A) for a
Player aged 18 or 19, mean any season in which such Player plays in
eleven (11) or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular Season
and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff games, and
games played in any European professional league, while under an SPC),
and (B) for a Player aged 20 or older, mean any season in which such
Player plays in one or more Professional Games (including NHL Regular
Season and Playoff Games, minor league regular season and playoff
games, and games played in any European professional league, while
under an SPC).
(ii) Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an
Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate and sign
an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate
and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being
subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any
other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

I looked under "defected player" and I'm not sure it applies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree. He's a lower tier D man. Personally, I think he gets way too much love on these boards.

I disagree. What separates these bottom pair-potential defensemen is potential. A guy like Stuart, or Meech, has really maxed out their potential. With Kulda, even though he isn't there yet, he has the potential to be that solid, shutdown guy the Jets need. A guy who just plays his minutes, isn't noticed, and does his job. If you look around, they are a wee bit more rare than you think.

Also, we've seen through history that defensemen develop at different rates. Ottawa gave up on Chara and look what he became. If the potential is still there, it's wise to do your best to hold on to that. Seems to me the org. believes that Kulda still has meaningful potential or they wouldn't have made the moves they have lately with him.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

Just a note.

Question. What is Group VI UFA?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Question. What is Group VI UFA?

This is from the old CBA - not sure if this is still valid but:

Group VI UFA:

A player who is 25 years or older, has completed three or more professional seasons and in the case of a player other than a goaltender has played fewer than 80 NHL games, or in the case of a goaltender has played fewer than 28 NHL games.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Two posts up. The question remains does he qualify for group 4. Holden thinks he does.

JetsTrueNorth

Feb 16, 2013

Yawn.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!! We have a Winner! I've never understood why so many people talk about this guy.......he's done NOTHING!!!!

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not entirely sure. Here's group VI free agency:

I looked under "defected player" and I'm not sure it applies.

Sorry, not defected player.

It's alternative intrepretation of the Group VI policy. It states at "expiration of SPC", which means that it cannot be used retroactively, you must qualify for Group VI when your contract expires.

Several factors have convinced me. I was right there with you until a few weeks ago.

1) Bud Holloway was not listed on official NHL UFA list (which is not like team sites, it is legit).

2) Several very good CBA posters here support the argument that Group VI does not apply to players playing overseas as RFA.

djc

Jul 12, 2011
I think of Kulda in terms of asset development. If a team thinks a player has potential, you develop the player regardless of where he might slot into your line-up. Not every player who makes the NHL will be on the team that drafted and developed them.

I realize some think Kulda's time has come and gone as a potential asset but I am not sure. When reading up on the Thrashers, I think two articles suggested that there was tension between the AHL affiliate, the Chicago Wolves, and Atlanta management regarding player development -that Chicago was not doing their job.

I believe one of the things TNSE seemed to do well was develop players for the NHL as the AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks. Interesting, the Moose were the AHL affiliate for many years yet the Wolves, who became Vancouver's AHL affiliate after the purchase of the Thrashers, lasted two years.

So perhaps Jets management thinks some older under-developed (?) Thrasher prospects have potential? Like Kulda.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

BINGO, I don't get the hype myself, he played a few games for the Jets and was just okay, granted a pretty small sample of his play but are we second guessing management and the coaching staff when they don't play him in the NHL?

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
He really is a bit of a mystery. I like to think that if the Jets aren't playing him, or inevitably don't resign him, or he ends up playing his whole career in the KHL that there is a good reason for it. I've read all about his potential, but never had a chance to see him play. I would like to have a look, but maybe he just isn't a great fit for the NHL.

It could be that simple. Or...

Perhaps Kulda feels his time in the AHL is done, but the Jets disagree and that is the impasse. He may prefer KHL over AHL and the Jets might be willing to let him go that route until he is ready to make the jump. Perhaps that time is now and he'll get a long look at training camp.

The report that the Jets aren't interested in him any longer might just be opinion or hearsay.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Sorry, not defected player.

It's alternative intrepretation of the Group VI policy. It states at "expiration of SPC", which means that it cannot be used retroactively, you must qualify for Group VI when your contract expires.

Several factors have convinced me. I was right there with you until a few weeks ago.

1) Bud Holloway was not listed on official NHL UFA list (which is not like team sites, it is legit).

2) Several very good CBA posters here support the argument that Group VI does not apply to players playing overseas as RFA.

Coles notes: group 6 fa only applies when coming off an spc. Players I'm the khl cannot be a group 6 fa.

Are we in agreement then? It also makes sense for him to stay in the khl until next year. Maybe we can unload Stuart at the deadline.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
BINGO, I don't get the hype myself, he played a few games for the Jets and was just okay, granted a pretty small sample of his play but are we second guessing management and the coaching staff when they don't play him in the NHL?

Exactly. I am very supportive of management in general, but the handling of Pavelec and the failure to give Kulda--after his KHL play-- a fair opportunity with an injury-riddled defence last year are the two decisions that perplex me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad