Kucherov is once again pacing for 128 points this season - will he surpass 128+ points this season?

Kucherov is on pace for 128 points - how many points does he score this season?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
With all the excitement of McDavid + Drai, and a few new emerging stars like Tage Thompson or Robertson, I feel as though Kucherov hasn't gotten a ton of attention this season.

Back in 2018-2019, he put forth a season for the ages. 128 points, swept all the big awards (Ross/Hart/Lindsay), and scored more points than any player had since Mario Lemieux had 160 in 1996. Highest point total of the cap era. Probably in the running for best season of the cap era, a truly great season.

As we all know, although he's done fantastic in 3 consecutive playoff runs since, he's also mostly been injured in the regular season since. He's missed big chunks of most seasons. So it was always a little difficult to place his 128 point season historically - was it a one time fluke, "perfect storm" he could never get close to again? Was it repeatable? Could he somehow do even better? Hard to say when he hasn't played a full season since.

Well - he's 4th in league scoring as of today with 47 points in 30 games, which paces out exactly to 128 points. He's 3rd in ppg behind McDrai. I think most obviously expect McDavid to win the art ross - but can he sustain that incredible ~150+ pace? Will he go back down to earth and finish closer to ~130? At ~130, it seems it's within reach of someone like Kucherov.

So ignoring McDavid, how many points do you expect Kucherov to finish with this season?

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Talent wise if healthy, absolutely. I don't think he plays 82 games though.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t think so, probably 115-120ish, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him pass it. Though it just shows that the season wasn’t as special as people made it out to be, it was just a sign of increasing league scoring

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don’t think so, probably 115-120ish, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him pass it. Though it just shows that the season wasn’t as special as people made it out to be, it was just a sign of increasing league scoring

Still beat out a healthy Connor McDavid in scoring, only 1 of 2 players in the last 8 years so yes it was impressive.

Reactions: abo9

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It was impressive obviously, just the “highest scoring season since Lemieux” was a bit oversold.

I mean it was and still is..... is Thornton's less impressive because that happened during a massive scoring increase as well? no.

They played a full season last year and no one including McDavid broke 128 either, in an even higher scoring season than 2019.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I mean it was and still is..... is Thornton's less impressive because that happened during a massive scoring increase as well? no.

They played a full season last year and no one including McDavid broke 128 either, in an even higher scoring season than 2019.

I mean if you’re asking if Thornton’s 125 points is less impressive since it came in ‘06 than if it came in ‘14, then the answer is obviously yes. You seem to be confusing putting a season in context with dismissing it as unimpressive. Kucherov’s season was a large jump from any recent Art Ross at the time, and caused a lot of people to think it was much better than them, but since then the scoring leader has been close in pace each year, which doesn’t make it not a great season, but does make it clear it wasn’t a massive outlier. It didn’t stand out any more than Kane’s ‘16 for instance, despite the 22 point difference

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean if you’re asking if Thornton’s 125 points is less impressive since it came in ‘06 than if it came in ‘14, then the answer is obviously yes. You seem to be confusing putting a season in context with dismissing it as unimpressive. Kucherov’s season was a large jump from any recent Art Ross at the time, and caused a lot of people to think it was much better than them, but since then the scoring leader has been close in pace each year, which doesn’t make it not a great season, but does make it clear it wasn’t the massive outlier some made out to be.

That jump was already made in 2018 when the league scoring jumped a whole 0.2GPG, increased scoring was already evident for 2 years by the time Kucherov won that Ross, you must be remembering a small group of people saying that because the scoring separation was already created a year before. It's not like anyone thought Kucherov was playing in the same environment as Kane in 2016, like how no one compares Thornton's 2005 Ross to MSL's 2004 one because the scoring environment had already drastically changed.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Still beat out a healthy Connor McDavid in scoring, only 1 of 2 players in the last 8 years so yes it was impressive.
I mean, he was entering his prime at that time and he (just like Tampa) had "one of those seasons". It basically took some insane year that he and the team will never match again to beat McDavid. And keep in mind Connor was only 21 at the time and still put up 116 points (also missed 4 games).

When Kucherov was 21 he put up 18 points and really only started to amp it up in his 4th year. Not trying to discredit him though as that's not my intent. Just trying to play devil's advocate for fun. Hell of a player and he deserved it that year. It was a nuts run he and Tampa had.

Reactions: Voight

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean, he was entering his prime at that time and he (just like Tampa) had "one of those seasons". It basically took some insane year that he and the team will never match again to beat McDavid. And keep in mind Connor was only 21 at the time and still put up 116 points (also missed 4 games).

When Kucherov was 21 he put up 18 points and really only started to amp it up in his 4th year. Not trying to discredit him though as that's not my intent. Just trying to play devil's advocate for fun. Hell of a player and he deserved it that year. It was a nuts run he and Tampa had.

It's not like being 21 in an excuse when he won the Ross at 19 and 20....

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I need someone to remind me what Kucherov even did to the Sabres that has their fans hating him so much, because I honestly can't remember. Or are they just mad he's more accomplished than the entire Sabres franchise?

Come on dude, for a star he’s got a dirty side to him- doesn’t fight, doesn’t hit clean, just does dirty shit on a somewhat regular basis. Just had a blatant frustration boarding against the leafs last night- where does my Sabres fandom factor in there? Just calling a spade a spade. He’s obviously very good, just could do without the Marchand-like tendencies.

If you want specifics for the Sabres, needlessly taking out Sobotka’s knee was dirty af. None of us liked Sobotka, but he pulled that crap and then pulled some crap the next game, if I remember correctly- just something we noticed because we actually know the game. But ur right, we’re just totally jealous, that’s it- for some reason it’s only him and not other accomplished stars.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It was a "fluke year" based on his linemates shooting % and it was easy to predict that his production would drop and it has.

Scoring is up this year so adjusted he isn't even on pace for the 18-19 season.

18-19 adjusted is 128 points, this seasons pace is 120 and that's assuming things won't tighten up and history for both the NHL and Kucherov says that it will tighten up.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It was a "fluke year" based on his linemates shooting % and it was easy to predict that his production would drop and it has.

Scoring is up this year so adjusted he isn't even on pace for the 18-19 season.

18-19 adjusted is 128 points, this seasons pace is 120 and that's assuming things won't tighten up and history for both the NHL and Kucherov says that it will tighten up.

Yeah but every star has an outlier season. Crosby's 120 pt season (10% above his 2nd best) and Ovechkin's 65 goals (16% above his 2nd best) for example

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah but every star has an outlier season. Crosby's 120 pt season (10% above his 2nd best) and Ovechkin's 65 goals (16% above his 2nd best) for example
Fair point but I don't think either Ovi or Crosby had as big outlier seasons given shortened seasons and/or league scoring rates (different league environments..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad