Speculation: Krug leaving Boston?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yup. He has been a steady, really good player for Boston. They will miss him. Unfortunately for him, it's a bad time for him to be a FA, but he should still get a decent contract somewhere.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Would be a huge loss for Boston, but they do have quite a few talented D. I could understand not wanting to give him big bucks, and then re-signing Charlie M for even more in a couple seasons.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What talented D do Boston have? Chara will retire sooner rather than later, and his decline is obvious. MacAvoy is talented. Carlo is talented, in a meat and potatoes way, very different way than Krug. Krug fits a very specific PMD niche for them, and helps make their PP the weapon it is. He might not be the greatest defensively, but he's decent, especially compared to a lot of PMD out there who get all sorts of accolades. Grzeclk? Clifton? AHL dudes?

I thought Krug played his heart out in the playoffs.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What talented D do Boston have? Chara will retire sooner rather than later, and his decline is obvious. MacAvoy is talented. Carlo is talented, in a meat and potatoes way, very different way than Krug. Krug fits a very specific PMD niche for them, and helps make their PP the weapon it is. He might not be the greatest defensively, but he's decent, especially compared to a lot of PMD out there who get all sorts of accolades. Grzeclk? Clifton? AHL dudes?

I thought Krug played his heart out in the playoffs.

Grzcylk is a very good player. Clifton also a serviceable bottom 2 type. Vaakainen, Moore, UFA or trade targets, etc.

It's not that losing Krug is a good thing, it's that it's easy to see a big contract to him (7-8m) really backfiring. Losing a player for nothing is always kind of awful, though.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think he's likely gone and obviously that is big time "moving on" quote it feels like.

Montreal maybe. Jersey could easily be in on that.

while I like Krug as a player, I am not sure that a 5'9'' offensive minded DMan is something we need...though maybe they sign Krug and look to package Butcher for an upgrade?

Reactions: Smitty426

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
As a Bruins fan, I think he's a great character guy and a great player on the ice.

I think what he is worth is too rich for the Bruins considering their current team composition and where they are at in terms of contending now and in the future.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
while I like Krug as a player, I am not sure that a 5'9'' offensive minded DMan is something we need...though maybe they sign Krug and look to package Butcher for an upgrade?

Oh, I certainly wouldn't sign him...but no doubt that the LHD is just brutal for us right now. So I think we may at least kick the tires, and one of the things that we could use is a puck moving defenseman (besides Butcher, we simply have none of that on the left side...even coming up through the system if we consider Ty as playing RHD most likely). Though I find it unlikely that we sign any "name" free agents; I think a guy like Edmundson is probably more our flavor. Ben Hutton could probably make a lot of sense.

I really would like to move Butcher (I do believe he has some value in trade) but we definitely need figure out the other spots.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
In:Hall
Out:Krug

Their PP will suffer for sure, he's one of the best PP QBs in the league. In the 5 years (2011-2015) before he was their full time PP QB: 17.8 PP%, 14th in NHL. In the 5 years (2016-2020) since: 23.4 PP%, 1st in NHL. Bill Dauterive is partially to blame for that as well, but Krug is a big loss there.

At 5v5, however, is another story. He's been extremely sheltered, greatly inflating his analytics. Krug is not a top-pair defenseman and shouldn't be treated as such.

From woodmoney, (2014-15 to 2019-20) this is how his stats breakdown by competition.

TIERCF%DFF%
ELITE50.448.8
MIDDLE54.753.9
GRIT56.955.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defensive Fenwick For (DFF) is their version of expected goals against. Elite & Grit are intended to be comprised mostly of top & bottom 100 players.

Reactions: hn777

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
In:Hall
Out:Krug

Their PP will suffer for sure, he's one of the best PP QBs in the league. In the 5 years (2011-2015) before he was their full time PP QB: 17.8 PP%, 14th in NHL. In the 5 years (2016-2020) since: 23.4 PP%, 1st in NHL. Bill Dauterive is partially to blame for that as well, but Krug is a big loss there.

At 5v5, however, is another story. He's been extremely sheltered, greatly inflating his analytics. Krug is not a top-pair defenseman and shouldn't be treated as such.

From woodmoney, (2014-15 to 2019-20) this is how his stats breakdown by competition.

TIERCF%DFF%
ELITE50.448.8
MIDDLE54.753.9
GRIT56.955.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defensive Fenwick For (DFF) is their version of expected goals against. Elite & Grit are intended to be comprised mostly of top & bottom 100 players.

That's super interesting, actually.

I also wonder how bad the PP suffers with McAvoy in. I think he's overrated defensively but underrated offensively.

McAvoy-Hall-Bergeron-Pastrnak-Marchand is gross. All 4 forwards are above average goalscorers.

Reactions: Korg

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He wants to be paid.

I don’t think he will get it on the open market.

I think Boston offered him around his current cap hit and shorter.

I can see thrm trading for Ledfy eho has 2 full years left

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gryclyk has some talent, and I know he is still young, but he is nowhere near Krug's level. I thought he was a liability in the playoffs.

I get that it's tough to make Krug the highest paid player on the team as he enters his 30's though. Seems like there should be some middle ground ....something like a 6/36M deal. I really wonder what team is going to pony up more than that in this environment.

Krug might be small, but he's tough, for a skill guy.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Think it’s also, partly, they (management) have specifically pointed out the size of their LD as an issue in the past. Maybe they’ve seen enough out of Grizz to say he can be the one smallish guy and they look to find more well rounded guys to replace Krug and Chara.

They have a funny group on the backend. Outside of McAvoy they are very situation specific players. They’ve had success with it obviously but I wonder if they’d like guys who are average/above average in all situations rather than great in some/oh god no in others lol.

They’ve also let several guys stew in the minors now who probably deserve at least a shot at making the roster.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Gryclyk has some talent, and I know he is still young, but he is nowhere near Krug's level. I thought he was a liability in the playoffs.

I get that it's tough to make Krug the highest paid player on the team as he enters his 30's though. Seems like there should be some middle ground ....something like a 6/36M deal. I really wonder what team is going to pony up more than that in this environment.

If 6x6 is the offer Krug takes, he should fire his agent.

upload_2020-9-3_12-31-35.png

Look at the names around him (3 years of data, all reg. season).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’m hoping they spend the Krug money on Hall and keep improving 5on5 scoring.

Can’t be a 1 line specials team team.

Reactions: hn777 and Merrrlin

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

He's going to get a lot more than $6 million a year. If his price was $6 million Boston would sign him.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad