Prospect Info: Kristo has a strong worth ethic

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I'm not sure all the way around, don't know enough about Kristo. Thomas always seemed to me to be a guy I want to root for but I think people get blinded by his shot and just assume he's going to be a great goal scorer at every level because of it.

It's a big jump to the NHL, even from the AHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Unlike last season, kids will get an opportunity to impress int he preseason this year. Shouldn't be any reason Kristo wont have every opportunity to get a cup of coffee.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Rangers need some guys who can be possession players and Thomas doesn't seem like one of those players to me, while Kristo does.
Kristo is definitely more of a possession player than Thomas.

Unlike last season, kids will get an opportunity to impress int he preseason this year. Shouldn't be any reason Kristo wont have every opportunity to get a cup of coffee.
Especially with Hags and Cally out to start the season.

Thesensation19*

CBSsports happened to be showing a NCAA game from last year between Dakota and I believe Michigan Tech or something. First minute I am watching I see ND breaking out the puck by passing it to Kristo who then takes it from his blue line all the way to the opposing face off circle. He stops on a dime at the top of that circle giving himself at least 2 seconds to decide on what to do.

As his teammate is crashing the net, he shoots on short side on net. His teammate who crashed the net barely made it to the front of the goal before it was released and was snipered on that short blocker side by the goalie.

Was pretty sweet to see that and I hope to see many more. I liked a few things from that one play, especially the quickness and his decision making. Honestly the shot was sweet but it was a bad break by the goalie. It looked like his decision to wait for his teammate made the goalie a bit more anxious and caused him to miss the shot.

The announcers went on to say how it was typical of Danny Kristo and how he is one of the best in the NCAA.

Thesensation19*

Its actually kind of funny in acquiring Kristo. Its a McDonagh situation all over again.

McDonagh just did not want to play for the Canadiens organization. He wanted out and Montreal of course obliged in getting what they can for the guy, but because he had little to no experience in the NHL and has shown he wanted out, it was an easy thing to do for the Rangers.

Kristo is a bit different. A very well talented forward but had some immature issues on the side. Nothing to serious though. He was caught drinking as a minor. I mean, he was a college freshman and drinking is the least of things college students or college athletes do. Its dumb to be caught though... But it happens. He was then caught hosting a senior team party serving drinks to minors... YEA... once again its college lol. It happens allllllll the time. Marc Cuban had the same thing happened to him in college and look how he turned out lol.

It happens. Its dumb of him to get caught but it happens to alot of people and its not a big deal. I am confident he will learn from it though. For starters, he is now graduated and is looking for a job as a hockey player so I am sure he will buckle down a bit more.

Even with all those complications, many people have said nothing but great things about his work ethic and his leadership on and off the ice. Analysts, scouts, teammates, opponents have all said he was a good player with many intangibles.

Montreal was probably sick of him though. They tried to sign him last year to a contract but he opted to finish out his career in college and wanted to win a Championship. Admirable. Montreal, with this rejection and his off-the ice issues wanted a change of pace.

They saw a chance to trade him for a younger player. Basically a do-over. They now have a younger, more offensive and creative forward. But its a gamble.

The Rangers, already have enough gambles and were saw a chance to obtain one of the best young Americans in hockey.

I think it was a great move and he has a solid chance for the roster this year

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
McDonagh just did not want to play for the Canadiens organization. He wanted out and Montreal of course obliged in getting what they can for the guy, but because he had little to no experience in the NHL and has shown he wanted out, it was an easy thing to do for the Rangers.

I don't recall ever reading anything about McD wanting out of montreal. I think the consensus belief was that montreal expected him to be more of an offensive dman and he wasn't really showing that at Wisconsin. And with him wanting to go back for his junior year, they decided to trade him. The quotes I remember from McD was that he was shocked by the trade.

Montreal was probably sick of him though. They tried to sign him last year to a contract but he opted to finish out his career in college and wanted to win a Championship. Admirable. Montreal, with this rejection and his off-the ice issues wanted a change of pace.

They saw a chance to trade him for a younger player. Basically a do-over. They now have a younger, more offensive and creative forward. But its a gamble.

I'm not sure I buy that either, but there had to be SOME reason why they made a deal that pretty much everyone in the hockey world believes the Rangers won.

Unless something happened recently, I don't see why they would wait until he graduated, sign him, and THEN trade him. If they had an issue with him staying 4 years in college or with some of the off ice problems he had while in college, why didn't they trade him earlier?

He didn't produce much in the 9 AHL games he played last year, but I can't imagine that would influence their decision that much. Maybe they feel that Kristo is still a year away and think that Thomas is ready now? :huh:

93nostalgic

Sep 11, 2009
I don't recall ever reading anything about McD wanting out of montreal. I think the consensus belief was that montreal expected him to be more of an offensive dman and he wasn't really showing that at Wisconsin. And with him wanting to go back for his junior year, they decided to trade him. The quotes I remember from McD was that he was shocked by the trade.

I'm not sure I buy that either, but there had to be SOME reason why they made a deal that pretty much everyone in the hockey world believes the Rangers won.

Unless something happened recently, I don't see why they would wait until he graduated, sign him, and THEN trade him. If they had an issue with him staying 4 years in college or with some of the off ice problems he had while in college, why didn't they trade him earlier?

He didn't produce much in the 9 AHL games he played last year, but I can't imagine that would influence their decision that much. Maybe they feel that Kristo is still a year away and think that Thomas is ready now? :huh:

Habs fan here.

Re: McDo - he didn't want out of Montreal and MTL would have love to keep him. The basis for this transaction was the urgent need to draw an offensive center in Montreal. After having failed to trade for Lecavalier (Plan A), Ex-Gm Bob Gainey went to plan B - Scott Gomez. Worst in our history. The idea was that Gomez would fill a need at center and since the trade was done prior to free agency market opening... having a center like Gomez was also an incentive for guys like Gionta and Camallari to sign. Montreal had decided to let go Kovalev, Koivu and a few other players so they were really in need of offensive player back them. That ''urgent need to fill'' has pushed the MTL Gm to complete the worst trade in Habs history. Many people in our organization were SHOCKED when MCDO was traded... most of all our head of amateur scouting. McDo was the price to pay for Gomez - one of the best trade ever by Glen Sather.

Regarding Kristo - most of the stuff said probably have some truth but nobody really knows the reasons. MTL fans weren't that thrilled about that trade as many saw Kristo has a top-rated prospect.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Thanks for the info 93--makes a lot of sense. With Kristo we'll just have to see--he's going to get a chance to start the season in the NHL, if he can prove himself during training camp, since Hagelin and Callahan won't be ready until several weeks(?) into the season. And if he makes the team, he'll have to produce to stay. It's all up to him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I got to watch Stepan play with Kristo and D'Amigo at the 2010 WJC and that was one of the better lines I've seen play at the tournament in recent years. I hope that Kristo can develop and they can re-kindle some of that chemistry they had from that tournament. It would be awesome to see the two of them playing like that together at the NHL level.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Its actually kind of funny in acquiring Kristo. Its a McDonagh situation all over again.

Kristo is a bit different. A very well talented forward but had some immature issues on the side. Nothing to serious though. He was caught drinking as a minor. I mean, he was a college freshman and drinking is the least of things college students or college athletes do. Its dumb to be caught though... But it happens. He was then caught hosting a senior team party serving drinks to minors... YEA... once again its college lol. It happens allllllll the time. Marc Cuban had the same thing happened to him in college and look how he turned out lol.

It happens. Its dumb of him to get caught but it happens to alot of people and its not a big deal. I am confident he will learn from it though. For starters, he is now graduated and is looking for a job as a hockey player so I am sure he will buckle down a bit more.

Even with all those complications, many people have said nothing but great things about his work ethic and his leadership on and off the ice. Analysts, scouts, teammates, opponents have all said he was a good player with many intangibles.

The Rangers, already have enough gambles and were saw a chance to obtain one of the best young American
I think it was a great move and he has a solid chance for the roster this year

Yeah, yeah all this. Bottom line is that comparing "good kid attributes ", nobody is coming close to Thomas, problem is that he's a one trick pony and has to be inserted into a lineup with care. I believe Kristo is more well rounded and can play anywhere regardless of linemates. Thats the difference. As far as his "character", id be worried if he didnt serve minors. Who hasnt? Lack of judgement was getting caught. Sounds like the wrong message but he didnt rat on his friends and seemed to take the consequences like a man. Thats all i need to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad