Recalled/Assigned: Kristians Rubins Recalled From Marlies

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The Leafs' people have liked this guy since 2018. He's not replacing Holl as he's playing the left side. Maybe he can play the right side on the bottom pairing eventually. Who exactly is he going to supplant on the Leafs' current roster being a left sider? Not Rielly, Muzzin or Sandin. And Dermott is more versatile.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
The Leafs' people have liked this guy since 2018. He's not replacing Holl as he's playing the left side. Maybe he can play the right side on the bottom pairing eventually. Who exactly is he going to supplant on the Leafs' current roster being a left sider? Not Rielly, Muzzin or Sandin. And Dermott is more versatile.
I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him supplant Dermott if he keeps developing and shows he can be a consistent NHLer. Its been years and the Leafs haven't been able to fully trust Dermott on the PK, but they are already giving PK2 minutes to both Lil and Rubins, I think that speaks volumes about trust and versatility. Don't mistake this as "he's better than him now" but if Dermott doesn't PP or PK, why not keep a PK defender over him?

Reactions: MJK

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I wouldn't be at all shocked to see him supplant Dermott if he keeps developing and shows he can be a consistent NHLer. Its been years and the Leafs haven't been able to fully trust Dermott on the PK, but they are already giving PK2 minutes to both Lil and Rubins, I think that speaks volumes about trust and versatility. Don't mistake this as "he's better than him now" but if Dermott doesn't PP or PK, why not keep a PK defender over him?

It would also free up a wee bit of precious cap space for next season when the cap is only going up $1M. The problem would still be that Dermott is more versatile having experience playing the right side at the NHL level.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Leafs are gonna have to throw something else in to unload da extra AAV .. teams would take him as a 7th guy at 750K but not at 2M AAV .. that is da core issue here .. da deal likely has to be for face saving purposes Holl and a 3rd/4th rounder say for a vet D making 750K .. basically Leafs unloading a 3rd rounder for $1.25M CAP relief to use for playoff hired guns at TDL

multiple insiders have reported that Holl has value and interest from multiple teams around the league.

are they lying?

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
multiple insiders have reported that Holl has value and interest from multiple teams around the league.

are they lying?
“Insiders” and “analysts” are just blowhards. Nobody in upper management is giving info to those idiots. They make educated guesses and they aren’t even good at that

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

are they lying?
I don't know these insiders .. I have a group of ex player friends and a parents of kid on team who my kids played in G,spring and junior who I still drink with .. from what I understand Holl can be traded but it will cost Leafs a 3rd/4th round pick to pick up his AAV above CAP minimum .. like I have said for years Holl is a decent 7th dman backup for a team who needs a body .. but if he plays in your top 4 he is playing above his caliber

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't know these insiders .. I have a group of ex player friends and a parents of kid on team who my kids played in G,spring and junior who I still drink with .. from what I understand Holl can be traded but it will cost Leafs a 3rd/4th round pick to pick up his AAV above CAP minimum .. like I have said for years Holl is a decent 7th dman backup for a team who needs a body .. but if he plays in your top 4 he is playing above his caliber
Why would they have to add a mid round pick for a serviceable bottom pairing defenseman on a resoan le cap hit?

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It doesn't really make sense that the Leafs would need to add a sweetener for a team to take Holl. First, he doesn't make a lot of money, and not every team is hard pressed against the cap ceiling. Second, not every team in the league is currently tied for the Presidents Trophy lead, so many teams wouldn't be turning up their noses on a player like Holl.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Cool…. So squat then…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad