Proposal: Krebs to Calgary

Ledge And Dairy

I don't think Sharangovich is a serviceable C. We're pretty much starting that line 100% in the Ozone exactly because of that. I don't think Sharangovich is a better C than Krebs. He's a better player, but his value is at W not at C. He's scored 1 goal since he moved to C and is 37% in the faceoff circle.

8 goal pace for Sharangovich as a C, 35 goal pace as a winger. I'd say the results are pretty clear which one he should be playing.
I think you are really avoiding the major picture here. The loss of Lindholm really hurt that line. Lindholm was a minute muncher and did a lot of small things that allowed for his linemates to have lots of open space, that's always been how he played. The issue is not that Sharangovich was moved to center, the issue is that Lindholm is not there anymore to let his wingers run freely. You are not seeing the forest for the trees. Sharangovich at center is not the issue. The issue is the Flames don't have a legitimate 1C anymore and I can say with 100% confidence that Krebs is not going to fix that. Even Mittelstadt isn't good enough to fix that. Calgary needs a center with Barzal+ potential and the only way to reliably do that is through the draft. You have always been the guy begging for a rebuild and now you are looking to quick fix the problem. The reason to trade Mangiapane should be to continue this rebuild and open up a spot in the top 9 for Pelletier (who should not be on the 4th line). Who cares is Sharangovich has slowed down a bit, his S% was pretty unsustainable anyways. He's still shooting at the same rate per game, just only 4% of them have gone in, in comparison to 19%

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Mittlestadt, Jokijarju, 2025 top 3 protected first, and Savoie for Mange and Andersson. Where can I fax the paperwork?

Tuch/Thompson/Skinner
Peterka/Cozens/Quinn
Benson/Krebs/Mange
Greenway/XXX/XXX

Samuelsson/Dahlin
Power/Andersson
xxx/Clifton

luuk
levi

Last edited:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Mittlestadt, Jokijarju, 2025 top 3 protected first, and Savoie for Mange and Andersson. Where can I fax the paperwork?

Tuch/Thompson/Skinner
Peterka/Cozens/Quinn
Benson/Krebs/Mange
Greenway/XXX/XXX

Samuelsson/Dahlin
Power/Andersson
xxx/Clifton

luuk
levi
No where. It's a shitty deal for Buffalo. Mangiapane is negative value at 5.8mil, and Andersson sure as hell ain't returning Mitts, Savoie and a 1st

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Tuch/Thompson/Skinner
Peterka/Cozens/Quinn
Benson/Krebs/Mange
Greenway/XXX/XXX

Samuelsson/Dahlin
Power/Andersson
xxx/Clifton

luuk
levi

No thanks. I like Mittlestadt but he’s not what Calgary needs. Would rather just keep Mangi too and hope the production returns. If not with retention he can probably get some futures next tdl

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think you are really avoiding the major picture here. The loss of Lindholm really hurt that line. Lindholm was a minute muncher and did a lot of small things that allowed for his linemates to have lots of open space, that's always been how he played. The issue is not that Sharangovich was moved to center, the issue is that Lindholm is not there anymore to let his wingers run freely. You are not seeing the forest for the trees. Sharangovich at center is not the issue. The issue is the Flames don't have a legitimate 1C anymore and I can say with 100% confidence that Krebs is not going to fix that. Even Mittelstadt isn't good enough to fix that. Calgary needs a center with Barzal+ potential and the only way to reliably do that is through the draft. You have always been the guy begging for a rebuild and now you are looking to quick fix the problem. The reason to trade Mangiapane should be to continue this rebuild and open up a spot in the top 9 for Pelletier (who should not be on the 4th line). Who cares is Sharangovich has slowed down a bit, his S% was pretty unsustainable anyways. He's still shooting at the same rate per game, just only 4% of them have gone in, in comparison to 19%
No, the issue is both things. I don't know how you get lost so easily sometimes. You focus in on one thing instead of realizing there are a myriad of factors at play. Sharangovich can both be missing Lindholm AND not good at being a center. I can't fathom how anyone could watch him and think, nah, he's a good C, he's just missing Lindholm. BTW, his goals per 60 are higher with Kadri than with Lindholm at 5 on 5. Just slightly below with Backlund. VASTLY below when he's playing C. Granted, Backlund and Kadri are similar caliber players, but the common thread is he's a good W and bad at C.

I do agree with the part of your post where you said Krebs isn't going to fix our lack of a 1C. That has to be addressed through the draft. He CAN however be part of fixing our 2 top centers presently being in their mid 30s as we enter a rebuild/retool. I believe he can be a 3C in the league. We haven't even lost Hanifin yet. He's the best player we're going to lose coming up here. That's when the wheels fall off.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hard to believe that he is in his 3rd full year in the NHL. Don't see him having much value, until he proves that he isn't the next Jost/Newhook.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hard to believe that he is in his 3rd full year in the NHL. Don't see him having much value, until he proves that he isn't the next Jost/Newhook.
Or Bennett or Thompson. He's definitely a 4C, so he's not Jost. I think he'll likely be a 3C, but there's 2C upside there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They likely don't move on from Krebs until they make a decision about Mittelstadt. And that doesn't mean they have to move on from Krebs even if Mittelstadt stays. But if they move Mitts, they will need someone to play up the lineup at center.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They likely don't move on from Krebs until they make a decision about Mittelstadt. And that doesn't mean they have to move on from Krebs even if Mittelstadt stays. But if they move Mitts, they will need someone to play up the lineup at center.
Genuinely curious. Why are they considering moving on from Mittelstadt? I would have understood that decision 3 years ago, but why now? You guys were incredibly patient with him, he rewarded that patience and now the answer is to move him? You already have too many high end prospects if such a thing is possible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Genuinely curious. Why are they considering moving on from Mittelstadt? I would have understood that decision 3 years ago, but why now? You guys were incredibly patient with him, he rewarded that patience and now the answer is to move him? You already have too many high end prospects if such a thing is possible.

I'm not sure what is going on there. Most of the NHL talking heads seem to have very little insight into the Adams' front office thinking and report from a standpoint of what others tell them they've asked for from Buffalo. Adams may not be Regier, but there is not a lot of idle information that spills out. As to the why, I would speculate that they want to sign him but have started to squeeze themselves with some of the other long-term deals. Also, for Mittelstadt, he can point to his production relative to other players on the team (namely Thompson and Cozens) this year and rightly state that he has similar or even better impacts than those two so he'd be looking at something in the $7+M AAV neighborhood. I don't know if they want to go there even if he's outproducing the other two, maybe they do.

Mitts is one of the guys who the is ringleader for some of the now younger, single players who live near the lake front. His place is where they congregate and he's tight with Dahlin (whose condo it was they shared prior to Dahlin moving out to his new McMansion in the suburbs).

At points this season Mittelstadt has gone into Thompson's spot between Skinner and Tuch and got both of them going and now that Quinn is back on IR, he's centering Cozens and Cozens is having his best stretch of the season over the last few weeks (overlapping with Quinn's return and subsequent ankle injury). He's their leading scorer at 5-on-5 this year and over the last two years, even with Thompson in that regard. I would think they would like that flexibility I just wonder if they think they're going to eventually have to pay Peterka and Quinn and are hedging their bets early instead of just trying to get him signed to a value deal now and worry about those other deals later (you know, like most winning teams do).

Reactions: Eegs

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Newhook is nothing like Jost.

This grouping of them because of drafting position and their Junior league is silly at this point as they aren't remotely similar players. Newhook is starting to look like he'll be a solid middle-six option in Montréal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not sure what is going on there. Most of the NHL talking heads seem to have very little insight into the Adams' front office thinking and report from a standpoint of what others tell them they've asked for from Buffalo. Adams may not be Regier, but there is not a lot of idle information that spills out. As to the why, I would speculate that they want to sign him but have started to squeeze themselves with some of the other long-term deals. Also, for Mittelstadt, he can point to his production relative to other players on the team (namely Thompson and Cozens) this year and rightly state that he has similar or even better impacts than those two so he'd be looking at something in the $7+M AAV neighborhood. I don't know if they want to go there even if he's outproducing the other two, maybe they do.

Mitts is one of the guys who the is ringleader for some of the now younger, single players who live near the lake front. His place is where they congregate and he's tight with Dahlin (whose condo it was they shared prior to Dahlin moving out to his new McMansion in the suburbs).

At points this season Mittelstadt has gone into Thompson's spot between Skinner and Tuch and got both of them going and now that Quinn is back on IR, he's centering Cozens and Cozens is having his best stretch of the season over the last few weeks (overlapping with Quinn's return and subsequent ankle injury). He's their leading scorer at 5-on-5 this year and over the last two years, even with Thompson in that regard. I would think they would like that flexibility I just wonder if they think they're going to eventually have to pay Peterka and Quinn and are hedging their bets early instead of just trying to get him signed to a value deal now and worry about those other deals later (you know, like most winning teams do).
I hope it's speculation too. It seems crazy to move him now after he's broken out. Buffalo has taken the stance of paying players for what they hope they will become. I think it's probably smart long term, but there's definitely a lot of guys cashing cheques they haven't earned right now. The one that's really tough for me is the Power contract. I think you're paying for his ceiling, which isn't ideal moving forward.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope it's speculation too. It seems crazy to move him now after he's broken out. Buffalo has taken the stance of paying players for what they hope they will become. I think it's probably smart long term, but there's definitely a lot of guys cashing cheques they haven't earned right now. The one that's really tough for me is the Power contract. I think you're paying for his ceiling, which isn't ideal moving forward.

Yeah, I agree on Power. I’m not even one of the people who hates on him for being non-physical, my issue is that he spectates in his own zone, and his inability to simply tie up a man along the wall or tie up a stick in front of the net seems deeply flawed to me. Maybe that’s because I was just a plug when I played and those were things that I could take pride in and do well because I was just a plug. Lol but that kid watches a lot of stuff around him and doesn’t lay a hand or stick on anyone.

Some of that will buff out as he matures. Having a partner who is a solid defense-first guy would make me happy, even if it is another LHD and they push Power to the right side.

As for Mitts, I’m half expecting the entirety of the Sabres deadline day news to be that he has an extension. That would be right out of the Regier playbook (Tim Connolly).

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Our center depth right now in whatever order you see fit is Kadri - Backlund - Sharangovich. Yegor is not a natural center but he is more than serviceable. Krebs is not an upgrade over any of them.

As for Mangiapane, he is exactly the type of player teams love to add to their rosters. He gives 110% effort every night and has a strong 2-way game. He is also tied for 66th in EV points by forwards this year. Being able to score at EV has value, If the Flames powerplay wasn't abysmal this year he would probably have 40-50 points already. But hey Kadri and Huberdeau lead our team with 10 powerplay points.

Well it's a good thing he makes less than 6M and can be retained
Have we been watching the same player this year? He has been incredibly inconsistent and invisible offensively most nights. He is consistently solid defensively but he is not this high-value top-6 winger that all teams love to add. He's a middle-6 winger who could probably fetch a 2nd with retention. Getting a 1st for him is a pipe dream lol nobody is giving that for a rental middle-6 winger. Name the last time a rental winger of his calibre went for 1st.

And idk what list you're looking at but he's tied for 86th among forwards in EV points with guys like Mikheyev and Protas and Chinakov (and coincidentally Jonny and Chucky). Behind guys like Warren Foegele, Hoglander, Mathieu Joseph, Decent numbers but nothing special. He also gets tons of EV TOI so his P/60 is closer to 125th for forwards with over 100 minutes. Low-end 2nd line/ high-end 3rd line production

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad