Post-Game Talk: Kovi's Komrades VS the Winlesspeg Thrashers - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well they need to disappear or it’s going to be very tough to do anything in the playoffs. The neutral zone defense and getting 3 forwards caught low constantly is a systematic problem that needs to be fixed. The defensive zone has been better lately, hopefully they can fix this as well.

I don't think the system is calling for 3 forwards down low. I think that is poor and uneven reads from the forwards. Something they don't do when playing well. There is nothing wrong with the Caps Xs and Os

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I don't think the system is calling for 3 forwards down low. I think that is poor and uneven reads from the forwards. Something they don't do when playing well. There is nothing wrong with the Caps Xs and Os
It very well may be poor reads and they have been trailing a lot recently which definitely leads to more aggressive play and that situation arising more. The neutral zone however is 100% an X and O’s problem.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Trap game, caps had less than nothing to play for after winning the first home game while the Jets were hongre.

Fire Forsythe though

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
My eyes tell me Kulikov's shot hit Caps player (Backstrom I think) and then landed exactly in the corner. Kind of NOT the same devastating goal Holtby loves to give up sometimes.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Watched half of it on replay - didn't miss much. I do find it frustrating at how often Ovie does the no look couldn't care less where it's going pass. You'd think after all these seasons and so many games
that he would have a higher passing IQ....

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Jets had a 93.3% PK in the february coming in and they didn't have an answer. They had some chances but overally a pretty bad showing again. Lost 4 in a row on the road now after their great road performances.

Maybe this will get more effort out of them. Atleast it happened now and not during the Playoffs.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
This is not a very good team. A head coaching change will not be made in my lifetime because they would be admitting they were wrong in letting Trotz walk.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
This is not a very good team. A head coaching change will not be made in my lifetime because they would be admitting they were wrong in letting Trotz walk.

A change needs to be made after the season is over. Management needs to swallow it's pride and admit they kept the wrong coach.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Watched half of it on replay - didn't miss much. I do find it frustrating at how often Ovie does the no look couldn't care less where it's going pass. You'd think after all these seasons and so many games
that he would have a higher passing IQ....

Ovi always goes for the Hail Mary pass.

Reactions: Heath

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My eyes tell me Kulikov's shot hit Caps player (Backstrom I think) and then landed exactly in the corner. Kind of NOT the same devastating goal Holtby loves to give up sometimes.

The TSN camera angle showed it didn't hit anything. The disc flight never wabbled off its spin.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

No? Who in the core needs to go? Who in the top 9 and one guy isn't going to fix not good. Who on the defense needs to go? Just Jensen dosent fix not good?

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the positive thing is, if the caps lose the gdt are always entertaining.

it was a good game, they run into a hot goalie.

- the pp produced high quality chances. u had carlson shots, oshi one timer from the slot, ao and kovi with great looks. the goals will come
- samsonov played well
- overall great physical play.
- the negativ thing for me were risky turnovers in the own end... they increased once they had to take chances.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A change needs to be made after the season is over. Management needs to swallow it's pride and admit they kept the wrong coach.

maybe they did, but Trotz chose to quit.

his shelf life was essentially done. The Cup may have extended his usefulness a few years tops....not 5 at that pay rate.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand why people think we would be doing so much better if we had trotz at the helm. His team isnt doing any better than we are right now and we wanted to fire him too in 2018

I’m sure there’s a clinical term for it, but I think of it as fondness for what you once had.......aka.....”living in the past”.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Ah yes, more of this. If only we had the coach who wasted the best roster in hockey for two years here by getting outcoached in the playoffs, who was almost fired (twice) his last season here because the team looked terrible for long stretches at a time, who has coached his teams out of the second round once -- once -- in his 20+ years as a head coach, and whose current team has lost six out of their last eight and is hanging on to a playoff spot by the skin of their teeth, that would cure all.

As for the game last night, the Caps were the better team in every statistical category -- shot attempts, shots, scoring chances, high danger scoring chances, expected goals percentage, etc -- but got Hellebuyck'ed.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I really wonder if some just check the box score before spouting off nonsense? Still a short sample size but the team has been playing better over the past couple games. They were the better team last night. They got prime scoring chances against a PK that put up unsustainable numbers for the month. Not many other teams were going to beat that goalie last night.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hockey is so unpredictable.

We won the cup when our stud goalie got benched. I always am the first to say tending is HUGE. I mean, you cannot make this stuff up. Holt had great playoffs year after year, at least stat wise, and we didn't do DICK.

He has an off year gets benched, comes back and we win the cup. Goalie play is always a big factor in games but he didn't steal games as much as our offense took off. And the difference to me was Kuzy and Wilson dominating, and Orpik on the backend slamming opponents and the door shut. At one point in the loffs I think Wilson had the most ESP/60 or some shit.

Too much weight is put on what we see in the regular season. Its why I refer to it as the preseason. Preseason are actually exhibition games. Friendlies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It took all of 2 mins to find what this board generally thought of Trotz in 2017/2018. :laugh:

Feb 2018 Fire Trotz HF poll:
Should the Caps Fire Barry Trotz (February 19th)

Nov 2017 Fire Trotz HF poll:
Will Trotz Be Fired? (poll added)

and then there's this gem from Japers:
The Capitals Should Fire Barry Trotz

The quote below, from @twabby, is gold. Swap "Rierden" in twabby's quote w/ Laviolette, Gallant, etc and it's literally verbatim as to what people are saying right now.
They are a .500 team since January. And they’re lucky to be .500 since then. They’ve been dreadful and disorganized and they are playing beneath their talent level. And they are being led by a guy with no track record of playoff success.

Now’s a perfect time to see what Reirden has. If he stinks it up too then they can look for someone else in the offseason.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Too much weight is put on what we see in the regular season. Its why I refer to it as the preseason. Preseason are actually exhibition games. Friendlies.

Yep, one thing that is predictable, the physicality ramps up in the playoffs every week. The Caps are built for the playoffs. Doesn't mean we will get the goaltending, but it does mean we're going to lay some wood on anyone that wants to get past us.

Can't f***ing wait! The RS has grown mostly boring to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad