Proposal: Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Think Carolina will buy him out? I still think there is a chance with KK. Canes likely mishandling him. He shouldn't be this bad.

I remember he was big part of our upset of Toronto. Singlehanded effort to score third goal in Game 5. Overtime winner in Game 6.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
More of a chance we’re gonna see Orlov randomly moved. We don’t hear enough about it, probably because nobody watches the Canes much…. just randomly thinking their D-Core doesn’t have any issues, but Orlov has been one of the worst UFA signings…

Whether it’s just been a bad fit or the old “Got Paid” after a contract year thing, Orlov in Carolina just isn’t working.

Watch out for the Canes jumping hard into the Hanifin sweepstakes. If he’s willing to sign in Carolina, Orlov could be part of the deal going back to Calgary.

Not only would it immediately change the metro, Carolina would then be much more protected should Pesce not sign a new deal with the Canes.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
More of a chance we’re gonna see Orlov randomly moved. We don’t hear enough about it, probably because nobody watches the Canes much…. just randomly thinking their D-Core doesn’t have any issues, but Orlov has been one of the worst UFA signings…

Whether it’s just been a bad fit or the old “Got Paid” after a contract year thing, Orlov in Carolina just isn’t working.

Watch out for the Canes jumping hard into the Hanifin sweepstakes. If he’s willing to sign in Carolina, Orlov could be part of the deal going back to Calgary.

Not only would it immediately change the metro, Carolina would then be much more protected should Pesce not sign a new deal with the Canes.
We aren’t moving Orlov, to then pay kings ransom, and sign Hanifin which would violate the very reason we overpaid Orlov for 2 seasons.

Orlov was going to he overpaid this season, no matter what. He was also going to have little chance of demonstrating value being the 3LD.

We signed orlov so that we wouldn’t pay Skjei 1LD money until he is 37. We aren’t going to go get Hanifin and then do the same. Hanifin would have little chance of being impactful the rest of the season because he would be our 3LD. He would also have to go through the same growing pains Orlov is when trying to learn the system. Hanifin doesn’t protect against losing Pesce either. He isn’t that type of shutdown guy.

Kotkaniemi will be decided the next 2 offseasons.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Kotkaniemi will be decided the next 2 offseasons.
They could even decide to buy out Kotkaniemi after the 2026 season if it came to that as he wouldn’t turn 26 until after the buyout window. So even in 2026 it would be a 1/3 buyout (less than $1M a year cap hit and payout.)

I don’t think a buyout will happen; he just finished the 2023 calendar year with 47 points in 83 games. He will likely remain insanely streaky.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Kotkani 50% retained + 1st round pick 2024 for Matty Knies seems reasonable for me. Both players get a fresh start, Kotkani moves to Matthews' wing and pots 35.
In another thread, you stated Knies is nothing more than Chad LaRose. Now you area saying the Leafs will get a guy that will pot 35 goals AND a 1st round pick for Chad LaRose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad