Rumor: Korshkov signs in KHL - Friedman Update: Will be a loan. Can be recalled for start of 20-21 season

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
From Korshkov's perspective it makes sense. With Toronto's plethora of able-bodied wingers, it seems unlikely he was going to be a full-time NHL winger next season, and that season might not even start until January 2021, or later. In contrast, he has the opportunity to play full-time in a regular KHL season, which is a higher caliber league than the AHL that he likely would've been in if he stuck with Toronto.

From my perspective as a Leafs' fan...I can't say I'm overly torn up if this is the last we see of him in Toronto. It could be that after the strange 20/21, Covid affected season, he sees an opportunity to return, but it seems unlikely. He had a pretty decent season with the Marlies (16+9 in 44 GP), but it wasn't anything extraordinary for a 23 year old winger with parts of five professional seasons under his belt already. I know myself and plenty of other Leafs fans were not thrilled with the pick at the time in 2016 (I remember being surprised DeBrincat was still available, and hoped the Leafs would pick him up).

I wouldn't call him a 'failed' draft pick, because the vast majority of entry draft picks (even 2nd round picks), don't end up being fantastic NHL players. It sucks that he probably won't remain a tangible asset and depth piece for us, but it isn't earth shattering. Best of luck to him next season.
Sometimes you hit with these players we sign out of Russia, sometimes you don't. We should expect that, and not become too dependent on hitting home runs every time with each player that is signed like this. The more alternatives from more sources, the better.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well this makes it an even longer shot that he’ll eventually be a player for the Leafs. Good thing we found Mikheyev. He’s rounding out to be the player I think they were envisioning.
Does anybody know the contract details or suspected/anticipated contract details for his contract with his KHL team? Is it a multi-year contract?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Leo Komarov went back to the KHL after his debut in Toronto as a 26 year old. Was back a year later and stayed for many years after that.

He would have been on a collision course with Barabanov who we know will be given every chance to make the big club along with Mikheyev and Engvall. Barabanov makes 8 wingers on the club with 7 having NHL experience this season if you assume Clifford is gone and count Spezza and Kerfoot as centers. He will come out of a 1 year deal in the KHL into an NHL expansion year and another flat cap with clubs looking for cheap help. They might have owed him his signing bonus but not the salary if no AHL year so if the K pays better than $92,500.oo he wins.

Reactions: Ciao

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Assuming the KHL season starts around August and the '21 NHL season starts in December, does this mean Korshkov could possibly finish his contract in the K and still be eligible to return to Toronto for the last four month stretch of the regular season + playoffs?

If so, I don't think anything has changed. Management wasn't happy that he decided to stay an extra year in the KHL because they probably envisioned him playing one season with the Marlies regardless. The plan was probably to have him see NHL minutes in his second NA season anyways.

I don't know why he isn't getting more consideration for this team, he brings what we lack. Somehow Malgin and Petan are kept around for the playoff squad and he isn't, weird. He also had a pretty good season on a bad Marlies team but didn't get any opportunities in the training camp while Robertson was basically gifted a spot. I feel like it might have something to do with Korshkov not being a Dubas pick, who knows.
Agreed. He hasn't been given enough opportunity here, regardless of if you like the pick or not. Korsh is an NHL player as it stands today. Whether he's a depth piece or a legitimate bottom sixer remains to be seen, but I have no doubts he could play regular minutes. People forget that he almost made the team out of camp when Babcock was coach.

You can play the hindsight game all day long when it comes to the draft, but if management can develop him into a poor man's Jordan Greenway (closest comparison IMO), then this is still a score in the 2nd round.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It is a 1-year deal, per Korshkov himself

Also he returns to a Canadian coach, and a weaker lineup than the one he left so a bigger role I imagine. It might be just another player trickling out of the Leafs system but there seems to be a lot of positives for him, and I expect he will be in the hunt for a shot at the NHL next year. Any player who needs a full AHL season to be ready for the show should be considering this path, though the Swiss League might be an easier way. He is still very much a prospect to me.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It was enough money to keep him from coming over and developing properly in the AHL for 4 years.

Not low compared to the AHL though. I imagine he got a healthy raise to go back but still well under $200k
TOP Salaries in KHL
renderTimingPixel.png

1. Sergey Mozyakin (Magnitogorsk) - 180 million rubles
  2. Nigel Dawes (Avtomobilist) - 150 million rubles
  3. Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars) - 130 million rubles
  4. Victor Antipin (Magnitogorsk) - 125 million rubles
  5. Linus Umark (Salavat Yulaev), Maxim Shalunov (CSKA), Vadim Shipachev (Dynamo Moscow) - 120 million rubles
  6. Mikhail Grigorenko (CSKA) - 110 million rubles
  7. Justin Azevedo (Ak Bars) - 105 million rubles
  8. Pavel Datsyuk (Avtomobilist), Bogdan Kiselevich (CSKA), Jiri Sekach (CSKA) - 100 million rubles
$1 = 64 rubles

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Should have drafted DeBrincat with that pick. Although a Marner-lite lite lite, he have made Marner expendable for an elite RHD. Could have also meant Marner would have had less leverage during negotiations, resulting in a smaller cap hit.

Alternatively, could have packaged DeBrincat for a RHD. Korshkov, as it turns out, was a useless asset. Thanks Hunter.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Should have drafted DeBrincat with that pick. Although a Marner-lite lite lite, he have made Marner expendable for an elite RHD. Could have also meant Marner would have had less leverage during negotiations, resulting in a smaller cap hit.

Alternatively, could have packaged DeBrincat for a RHD. Korshkov, as it turns out, was a useless asset. Thanks Hunter.
I wanted Debrincat at the time, and the Korshkov pick was certainly questionable, but let's not pretend that Debrincat or any of the other players projected to go in the early 2nd didnt have question marks. I'm also not sure how Debrincat makes Marner expendable. They are about as polar opposite players as it comes.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Not low compared to the AHL though. I imagine he got a healthy raise to go back but still well under $200k
TOP Salaries in KHL
renderTimingPixel.png

1. Sergey Mozyakin (Magnitogorsk) - 180 million rubles
  2. Nigel Dawes (Avtomobilist) - 150 million rubles
  3. Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars) - 130 million rubles
  4. Victor Antipin (Magnitogorsk) - 125 million rubles
  5. Linus Umark (Salavat Yulaev), Maxim Shalunov (CSKA), Vadim Shipachev (Dynamo Moscow) - 120 million rubles
  6. Mikhail Grigorenko (CSKA) - 110 million rubles
  7. Justin Azevedo (Ak Bars) - 105 million rubles
  8. Pavel Datsyuk (Avtomobilist), Bogdan Kiselevich (CSKA), Jiri Sekach (CSKA) - 100 million rubles
$1 = 64 rubles
It was in last season. From this year there is salary cap in KHL and new contracts are significantly lower.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wonder if the Leafs suggested he do this so he wouldn’t lose a year?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
he could come here after the season ends
Ya, after reading other posts in this thread, I see that this is possible.

Beyond that, I haven't enough knowledge about the KHL, COVID in Russia, or Korshkov's plans to make any comments though.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dermott not panning out as quickly (or ever) as an impact defenseman is a real setback for the Leafs. He's now number 3 on the LHD depth chart and Sandin could pass him by too.

I don't agree a team expects a 2nd round young D draft pick to be an impact player so soon.

Dermott being 23 with 150 NHL games under his belt is developing very well IMO.
Next season is very important to his future potential and growth.

Being #3 at LHD is where I would hope he would be. Did anyone actually think he would rank ahead of Reilly or Muzzin at this point in his career? And IF Sandin passes him on the depth chart next year that is a 1st round pick passing a 2nd round pick. Not that unusual.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So it’s a loan agreement with the leafs. Development year that works for both parties. I hope he gets lots of playing time and power play etc. He’s still young and this is ok

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But he wasn't Debrincat
Obviously Hunter, Dubas and the rest of the management liked Korshkov enough to select him as high as they did.
Until he's no longer Leafs property I wouldn't write him off.

Have the Leafs said anything about him going?

Reactions: Saint Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad