Knights vs Raiders

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
If the RJ is any indication, yesterday's top sports story was a Raiders training camp update. And, oh by the way, the Knights won a playoff game.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Among locals the Knights will remain more popular (while they're still winning) because 99% of the people didn't have a favorite NHL team before they came along like they do in the NFL. But the NFL is much, much bigger so that will always get more media attention. Right now it has the newness factor as well. The people here are fairweather fans so whoever is winning at the time will get the people in the stands to be seen.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
VGK is Vegas Born. Raiders are on their third city (one, twice).

Knights have the heart of residents. Raiders will be tolerated.

Exactly. May be a decade before Vegas is even really a Raiders town. So many fans of their long time rivals live in Vegas, will be really hard to dislodge their loyalties.

Jokerit 16

Feb 8, 2018
Finland
What about then when Knights are bad? That time will come sooner than later. It was a smart move to NHL creative a good team in Vegas.

Are people in Vegas real fans and dont forget they team even the hard times?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What about then when Knights are bad? That time will come sooner than later. It was a smart move to NHL creative a good team in Vegas.

Almost every team struggles when the team isn't good. The only game in Tampa I ever saw was when they were terrible and it was like half empty in there. I paid I think $5 or $10 for a ticket off the street and it was a pretty good seat. I have seen half empty stadiums in New Jersey, Anaheim and of course Arizona. There will be struggles no doubt but there will always be a fanbase because it was the first team. There won't be an Atlanta situation where they were the last to show up and then the first to bolt

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Interesting but Raiders have some aura and well NFL is huge down south. The Knights though seem to have a ton of support having a winning team off hop doesn't hurt. Will be interesting indeed.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
VGK is Vegas Born. Raiders are on their third city (one, twice).

Knights have the heart of residents. Raiders will be tolerated.
That and from my experience the raiders are a very devise brand you either love them or hate them (even if it is a soft hate) I could be wrong but I feel like other teams would probably have an easier time.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018

The NHL did not try to make this team good. People thought the team would be terrible in 2017.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
Of course the NFL team is bigger. The Raiders are so popular they will have tons of fans coming from California. If you talk about just locally though, I’m not as sure.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
Yeah, the Raiders are going to be a tough sell to the locals who aren't already fans. This team historically sucks due to bad management and it all starts at the top. so good luck selling 7-9 every year. That being said, the local following here has always been very strong. Not VGK level, but close.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The way the NFL and MLB are people can root for teams in separate conferences/leagues with little, if any, problem ever.

Once every four years you get a game between them, and the small chance they meet in a championship.

Plenty of NFC fans in town could pick the Raiders as their second team. That isn't as strong a bond as VGK but something to build on.

They will probably be a bigger deal than the Knights on years they are better than the Knights but both teams should get a solid following from different sources so it's fine.

Blues and Cardinals? Lightning and Buccaneers? Predators and a litany of Tennessee teams? They still have good, sizable, rowdy fanbases and are important to their cities. Vegas will be fine.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I don’t expect much from the Raiders anytime soon as long as Mahomes is destroying the league.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The way the NFL and MLB are people can root for teams in separate conferences/leagues with little, if any, problem ever.

Once every four years you get a game between them, and the small chance they meet in a championship.

Plenty of NFC fans in town could pick the Raiders as their second team. That isn't as strong a bond as VGK but something to build on.

They will probably be a bigger deal than the Knights on years they are better than the Knights but both teams should get a solid following from different sources so it's fine.

Blues and Cardinals? Lightning and Buccaneers? Predators and a litany of Tennessee teams? They still have good, sizable, rowdy fanbases and are important to their cities. Vegas will be fine.

Maybe if its something like a Cowboys fan or a Bears fan, but not if its a Niners fan or a Rams fan. Seahawks too have a long rivalry, many of their fans aren't going to be fond of the Raiders. Now all the other AFC West fans, which has to be at least 30-40 of Vegas since the Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs are big in these parts, and fans of popular AFC teams like the Steelers and Pats aren't going to be willing to take a second team in the Raiders. Frankly, I think this second team concept will only work for the not so serious fans, who are basically what the Raiders have attracted so far. People that say something like "I like football" and then are happy the Raiders are around, but die hard NFL fans are nothing like that.

What you will see is what everyone has been mentioning, which works great for Vegas when fans are allowed, having people drive in from So Cal and other parts of California to support the team along with the Raiders fans who already lived in Vegas or have moved in during recent years. The model works for the NFL, but no other sport. Teams like the Packers, the Chiefs, the Broncos, the Niners...all get fans to drive multiple hours each way to attend games.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Maybe if its something like a Cowboys fan or a Bears fan, but not if its a Niners fan or a Rams fan. Seahawks too have a long rivalry, many of their fans aren't going to be fond of the Raiders. Now all the other AFC West fans, which has to be at least 30-40 of Vegas since the Broncos, Chargers and Chiefs are big in these parts, and fans of popular AFC teams like the Steelers and Pats aren't going to be willing to take a second team in the Raiders. Frankly, I think this second team concept will only work for the not so serious fans, who are basically what the Raiders have attracted so far. People that say something like "I like football" and then are happy the Raiders are around, but die hard NFL fans are nothing like that.

What you will see is what everyone has been mentioning, which works great for Vegas when fans are allowed, having people drive in from So Cal and other parts of California to support the team along with the Raiders fans who already lived in Vegas or have moved in during recent years. The model works for the NFL, but no other sport. Teams like the Packers, the Chiefs, the Broncos, the Niners...all get fans to drive multiple hours each way to attend games.

Oh I think you're right that 40% of their business is probably going to be from outside Vegas, either Raider fans making 1-8 trips a year to Vegas or visiting fans picking up a game.

I do think some fans might not be Raider fans but will still watch the games on TV and go to some if they're big enough football fans. Maybe they don't call themselves fans but they spend a little money on the team or boost those ratings.

I also think I've seen quite a few Cowboy and Bear fans who don't have much animosity to the Raiders, no doubt there's plenty of rival fans who won't root for the Raiders but I think there's enough local fans to support the team and them representing Vegas would bring in a few more to help give them that 60% of the way they'll be counted on.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
It was a smart move to NHL creative a good team in Vegas.

I came across this video and it shows how people thought of the team.

In the description: “To fans of the Golden Knights: Hope you like tanks...”

After 10:25 he says the team is looking to be “pretty awful next year” and he also said “They may be good in about 5 years.”

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I came across this video and it shows how people thought of the team.

In the description: “To fans of the Golden Knights: Hope you like tanks...”

After 10:25 he says the team is looking to be “pretty awful next year” and he also said “They may be good in about 5 years.”

This is hilarious, he even had some pretty silly looking takes about the other teams. The Avs made the playoffs the next season and that disastrous "only 4th pick" became Cale Makar. The Coyotes screwing up the tanking and ending up picking 7th became Clayton Keller. The terrible Devils made the playoffs that next season he referred to. Ben Bishop only reverted into being one of the consistently best goalies in the NHL and the Stars a season later were an OT win away from possibly winning the cup that the Blues won. His take on Bellemare is just pure hilarity too, he's still as effective as ever. He wanted Aberg over Neal? Well Aberg was only out there as a waiver wire option this year lol. And then he actually likes Leipsic and Miller, too funny. Oh and what did he say about the Capitals?

I mean you could go on and on, but wow gotta love the hot takes this guy had and yeah a lot of people shared his opinion about how bad VGK would be and how every team/franchise that was doing well at the time would just continue on to do well.

Reactions: Vegas07

calvegas04

Jun 23, 2016
Las Vegas
Just look at the license plates around town, I see about 10 or 15 VGK for every raider plate. The raiders will be more popular for fans coming from out of town. They are a difficult team to like between their losing and their core fan base. I have friends who bought raiders season tickets so they can see their team when the come to town and sell most of the rest of the games. I am more excited for UNLV getting a new stadium than anything the raiders are doing and im a huge football fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad