Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Question for you lot, I have never played KOTOR II and it's on sale at Steam for like four bucks, worth it? I mean any game at like five dollars is worth it, but I don't have much free time and I hear this isn't as good as the original since it was made by a different company. I just want to know if the game is good enough to actually spend the 30+ hours to play over other amazing games like Ghost of Tsushima (which I took a break from)?

I'm biased because it's one of my favourites, but IMO, definitely worth a play.

Very jank and ugly by today's standards, but they patched it a couple years ago to allow for modern resolutions and restore some of the missing content (troubled development). The game is a lot of fun and the story line is very interesting, particularly for a game set in the Star Wars universe.

That said, Ghost of Tsushima is a good pick too. :laugh:

Reactions: S E P H

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Question for you lot, I have never played KOTOR II and it's on sale at Steam for like four bucks, worth it? I mean any game at like five dollars is worth it, but I don't have much free time and I hear this isn't as good as the original since it was made by a different company. I just want to know if the game is good enough to actually spend the 30+ hours to play over other amazing games like Ghost of Tsushima (which I took a break from)?

They're both amazing with great stories and characters. It really depends on whether you feel like taking a deep dive into the Star Wars universe or if you want to hang out in feudal Japan.

Reactions: S E P H

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
This is a Sony game if im not mistaken. Actually EA has been doing good with star wars. Jedi Fallen Order just had a title card in 2018 and released in 2019. They fixed battlefront 2, and squadrons...I never played it but I heard it was alright.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Meh, it's hard to get too worked up about a remake.

What ever happened to coming up with good original content?

Agreed. Honestly you could probably just make a new Star Wars RPG series at least.
Though I guess my only hope with a Kotor remake is that they would also remake the second and make a proper third game for the Revan saga.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. Honestly you could probably just make a new Star Wars RPG series at least.
Though I guess my only hope with a Kotor remake is that they would also remake the second and make a proper third game for the Revan saga.

It’s a bit weird in that Revan’s story does continue in The Old Republic though a lot of people take issue with it.

Personally I didn’t mind it.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
This is a Sony game if im not mistaken. Actually EA has been doing good with star wars. Jedi Fallen Order just had a title card in 2018 and released in 2019. They fixed battlefront 2, and squadrons...I never played it but I heard it was alright.
It might have some Sony money behind it to be a timed exclusive but Aspyr is owned by Embracer.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Meh, it's hard to get too worked up about a remake.

What ever happened to coming up with good original content?

I was pretty excited for an excuse to play one of my favourites again.

I mean, I could anyways, though it's a bit rough to play these days. Even KOTOR2 has some resolution modernizations.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was pretty excited for an excuse to play one of my favourites again.

I mean, I could anyways, though it's a bit rough to play these days. Even KOTOR2 has some resolution modernizations.
I played them again a few years ago.

There’s some interesting mod content out there to change things up a bit, but in general it’s more of a nostalgic trip down memory lane as opposed to something I would recommend to new players.

I tend to want to forget a lot about a game before replaying it - still waiting on the revamped ME.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
It’s a bit weird in that Revan’s story does continue in The Old Republic though a lot of people take issue with it.

For me at least my issue is that KOTOR 2's ending seems to hint a lot of stuff is going to go down, but we never get to properly experience it with a sequel. But it's been so long since I've played the game, maybe I'm overhyping it, heh.

As for The Old Republic, I do think it's alright, and I do think the story is well done for a MMO(mind you, I didn't get that far into it). But... I would rather just have KOTOR 3, IMO.

Really though, I think my Star Wars fandom is coming to an end. It's just a stale galaxy where the same thing happens over and over again. Heh. But if there's a good game I might check it out.

Reactions: NyQuil

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
For me at least my issue is that KOTOR 2's ending seems to hint a lot of stuff is going to go down, but we never get to properly experience it with a sequel. But it's been so long since I've played the game, maybe I'm overhyping it, heh.

As for The Old Republic, I do think it's alright, and I do think the story is well done for a MMO(mind you, I didn't get that far into it). But... I would rather just have KOTOR 3, IMO.

Really though, I think my Star Wars fandom is coming to an end. It's just a stale galaxy where the same thing happens over and over again. Heh. But if there's a good game I might check it out.

If I remember correctly, there was a novel (I didn't read) that continued the story of Revan and The Exile, and SWTOR continued that story a couple centuries later....or something.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Was recently thinking about how many people lost their minds over Rey using force healing in Episode 9, how they'd react if they just read a summary of Revan in SWTOR and god forbid all the shit Vitiate can do. Or to put it differently, if any of that was canonized.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Was recently thinking about how many people lost their minds over Rey using force healing in Episode 9, how they'd react if they just read a summary of Revan in SWTOR and god forbid all the shit Vitiate can do. Or to put it differently, if any of that was canonized.

Video game stuff is hard to canonize because boss fights have to be intense and spectacular by design.

But the easy answer is that Force users were more powerful in the earlier era.

There are many more of them, so it stands to reason that some would be stronger by random chance.

There are two types of SW nerds: the lawyers who apply a very narrow and structured view of the Force and are usually disappointed with any new content at all and the apologists who find a way to rationalize everything that happens with some convoluted in-universe explanation.

When ultimately a lot of the decisions are made by people who don’t care as much and just think “it would be cool if”…

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Video game stuff is hard to canonize because boss fights have to be intense and spectacular by design.

But the easy answer is that Force users were more powerful in the earlier era.

There are many more of them, so it stands to reason that some would be stronger by random chance.

There are two types of SW nerds: the lawyers who apply a very narrow and structured view of the Force and are usually disappointed with any new content at all and the apologists who find a way to rationalize everything that happens with some convoluted in-universe explanation.

When ultimately a lot of the decisions are made by people who don’t care as much and just think “it would be cool if”…
I guess I'm somewhere in between. I don't mind a super powerful character as long as they can face a legitimate threat to create tension and stakes. The stuff with Vitiate really pushed the bounds on all that for me. Dude was basically a dark side megagod. To the point that his former officers, the Dread Masters had a power level unlike anything depicted in any of the shows or movies.

Reactions: JBeast

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Might be a Metroid Prime 4 situation. Looks like they might be starting over from scratch.

I'm kind of surprised by this one. Its a remake of a semi-turn based game. It seems like it should be a straightforward project.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm waiting for the cut content to be released before starting my playthrough, heard it'll be released during the third quarter but I'm not holding my breath lol

I just looked up a walkthrough and it appears that my file got all sorts of goofed up. I noticed a few errors throughout the game and at one point when I leveled up it set my stats back. Looking at the walkthrough I apparently could've saved my mates from the prison on Trayus, but no one was there?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Even with the cut content Malachor V is unfinished as an FYI if you've never played the original game.

Basically Obsidian ran out of time when making the game and that's the best they could cobble together.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2