Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Yeah, and I really do agree on seeing if part of the OA issue can be cleared up early. I think five is too many to deal with at training camp IMO. If they could at least pare it down to four by that time, it would help. There will be enough line-up questions marks the way it is with the import draft approaching.

When does the trade window open up by the way? I'm guessing it won't be any time this month. Maybe it won't even be until after the import draft (?)

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
June 1st to 30th and opens up again August 1st
The June trade window should be when Parsons / Malboeuf is sorted out.

Try to get value for Parsons. If you’re unable to, go with him next year. If we can, do the deal and Malboeuf stays.

But if Malboeuf is to be the odd man out, he needs to know sooner than later so he can prep for where he plays next year.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, and I really do agree on seeing if part of the OA issue can be cleared up early. I think five is too many to deal with at training camp IMO. If they could at least pare it down to four by that time, it would help. There will be enough line-up questions marks the way it is with the import draft approaching.

When does the trade window open up by the way? I'm guessing it won't be any time this month. Maybe it won't even be until after the import draft (?)
I agree with paring it down asap. As we trade OAs during the season we can always bring more in as needed. This is a development season so quality OAs taking up ice time isn't needed.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Savard is irrelevant to Xu, they already have 4 16 year olds signed, Xu won't be playing here the full year (would be like MacNeil last year) I believe.
Not knowing player contracts, Rangers couldn't play one of those 16 year olds down like MacNeil and still sign Xu to play? Or are teams only allowed to sign four?

Reactions: rangersblues

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not knowing player contracts, Rangers couldn't play one of those 16 year olds down like MacNeil and still sign Xu to play? Or are teams only allowed to sign four?
You can sign more than 4. Just have to assign the rest to jrb on a B card. They all count to the 50 player protection list .

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
You can sign more than 4. Just have to assign the rest to jrb on a B card. They all count to the 50 player protection list .
Correct me if Im wrong here, but a signed 16 yr old on a B card can still play 10 games (any qualifications for this...or for emergencies? lets assume not.)? Plus they can be called up during the WJHC for missing players. So Xu can be on a B card and play those 10 games plus when Rehkopf and Sale is away he can play approx another 10 games = approx 20 games. So in other words Xu could play a bit less than a 1/3 of the season? Plus if he's assigned locally he could practice with the Rangers on a semi regular basis??

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Correct me if Im wrong here, but a signed 16 yr old on a B card can still play 10 games (any qualifications for this...or for emergencies? lets assume not.)? Plus they can be called up during the WJHC for missing players. So Xu can be on a B card and play those 10 games plus when Rehkopf and Sale is away he can play approx another 10 games = approx 20 games. So in other words Xu could play a bit less than a 1/3 of the season? Plus if he's assigned locally he could practice with the Rangers on a semi regular basis??
More or less yes. WJT time games don't count to the 10 but I don't believe their is a window for "emergencies" unless they are a goalie. Also they can play towards the end of the year if their team is eliminated from league play. Also I believe there is a short window at the start of the season until teams have to firm up their rosters. This is based on players returning from NHL camps. I'm not 100% sure how that one works or is calculated?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Another question:

Theoretically, if we sign Xu tomorrow, it would give us 5 signed 08’s. Can we wait until we break camp before we decide who of those five become our four signed to “A” cards. Or are the four current signings automatically on “A” cards period?

Example: What if Xu outperforms Bilecki at camp? Being ranked as a 1st to 2nd round pick, that’s possible. Or Xu shines in camp while one of the 08 forwards struggle.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Another question:

Theoretically, if we sign Xu tomorrow, it would give us 5 signed 08’s. Can we wait until we break camp before we decide who of those five become our four signed to “A” cards. Or are the four current signings automatically on “A” cards period?

Example: What if Xu outperforms Bilecki at camp? Being ranked as a 1st to 2nd pick, that’s possible. Or Xu shines in camp while one of the 08 forwards struggle.
You can't reverse an A card signing but you can upgrade a B card. Are you sure all the signings were on A cards? Also card assignment comes just before the start of the season so maybe none know their destiny yet? Usually teams wait until camp before multiple signings /card assignments? They have a clearer picture on who is going where. Clear as mud really!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
You can't reverse an A card signing but you can upgrade a B card. Are you sure all the signings were on A cards? Also card assignment comes just before the start of the season so maybe none know their destiny yet? Usually teams wait until camp before multiple signings /card assignments? They have a clearer picture on who is going where. Clear as mud really!
Not sure if the signing were to A cards or not.

My reason for asking is, could Xu still sign with a shot at becoming one of the 08’s on an A card this season?

Sounds like he can which means our signing of Headrick, Bilecki, Cameron and Anstis doesn’t necessarily have Xu automatically not signing and going to Sioux Falls if he was “OHL or bust” for next year”.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am pretty sure you can reverse an A card provided the player hasn't played in too many games. Pretty sure that happened a few years ago with Dom Mufarreh and he went back to Honeybaked. He was wearing a half visor for his 9 games before he was sent back, which I believe they need to be on an A card to wear.

I don't think teams like to do this too often, as it's very disruptive to the affiliate teams, but it does happen.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
cards are not assigned yet. you could card a 13th round pick full time and reasign a 3nd round pick.

Not sure if the signing were to A cards or not.

My reason for asking is, could Xu still sign with a shot at becoming one of the 08’s on an A card this season?

Sounds like he can which means our signing of Headrick, Bilecki, Cameron and Anstis doesn’t necessarily have Xu automatically not signing and going to Sioux Falls if he was “OHL or bust” for next year”.
i would think anstis doesnt sign unless hes a full time player. headrick needs to be a full time player. it would be xu vs bilecki and cameron. im not sure any of the last 3 are ready for full time ohl duty tbh. xu probably closest.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I am pretty sure you can reverse an A card provided the player hasn't played in too many games. Pretty sure that happened a few years ago with Dom Mufarreh and he went back to Honeybaked. He was wearing a half visor for his 9 games before he was sent back, which I believe they need to be on an A card to wear.

I don't think teams like to do this too often, as it's very disruptive to the affiliate teams, but it does happen.
Never heard of an A card going back to B? But never say never with this league.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersblues

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
I know the roster is a bit full but do you think we see any Ellinas/Campbell type trades before camp?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Teams can have the first two picks and any other two ‘wild cards’ end up as A cards.
That might be a big reason the league averages ~2 goalies drafted by round 2 per year.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Teams can have the first two picks and any other two ‘wild cards’ end up as A cards.
That might be a big reason the league averages ~2 goalies drafted by round 2 per year.
I think the main reason behind the lack of goalies being drafted in the first couple of rounds is the unpredictability of assessing 15 year old goalies. Teams can't afford to miss on early draft picks.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Last year we had spots to fill which were why Ellinas and Campbell were brought in. This year we have too many players (forwards for sure). We will need to unload a couple players before adding players.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Last year we had spots to fill which were why Ellinas and Campbell were brought in. This year we have too many players (forwards for sure). We will need to unload a couple players before adding players.
There are a bunch of teams looking at reloading or rebuilding next season. It limits a GMs somewhat when making changes. It's easy to make deals on HF. 😊

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not on D. We could use an Ellinas / Campbell type deal for a d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad