Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
Can't help but laugh that our regular-season-position draft pick will be higher (closer to 1) than our compensation pick we get from Hage not reporting. I hope management has done their homework.

Reactions: Gondrex

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers out hustled Saginaw for 2 periods. Not sure what woke Saggy up but in the 3rd and OT they were flying. Ottawa won the Hamilton Spectator trophy for first in the league last night. 3rd time in 4 years. On a side note. If you parous the plus minus stats. Rangers top point guys are some of the worse plus minus on the team. Question to ask here. Does this indicate they are too offensive and not looking after their defensive responsibilities? Maybe someone with more hockey knowledge can explain. :)

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Looks like everyone was right that the Wings should have sent Sebrango back the last couple years, instead they're ruining him in the AHL and having to go to the ECHL after 2 years in the AHL (years he could have been in Kitchener)
I agree it would have helped sending him back.

However I never really got what the big deal about Sebrango was. Decent size but not huge, not overly physical. Okay offensively at times. In short he was ok but didn't really do anything inparticular to standout IMO. Sending him back could have helped develop those average parts of his game.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree it would have helped sending him back.

However I never really got what the big deal about Sebrango was. Decent size but not huge, not overly physical. Okay offensively at times. In short he was ok but didn't really do anything inparticular to standout IMO. Sending him back could have helped develop those average parts of his game.
I just look up at the banners at the Aud that recognize Rangers who were WJC Team Canada members. Sebrango was the first Ranger since who? Ryan Murphy?

His name isn’t up there but it should be if not for the technicality he played AHL.

That’s the big deal IMO.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Looking ahead.....because I sure don't want to look back on this hugely disappointing (mild I know) season.

Rangers two 1st round draft picks had better be top notch and committed to playing here. No flyers.

Last year's draft......
Looking at Cole Longacre....the 2nd rounder D who changed his mind. This is his Sioux City Stats:
1679175532365.png

Will he report this year or has that ship officially sailed?

What about Carson McGurn (Sean McGurn's brother London)? 10th Rnd Rangers Worth a look?
Just missed out in the top 10 for HEO Under 18 points this season.
1679176558327.png

Lex Terrance drafted 6th Rnd by the Rangers? I believe he's been to Rangers camp. Currently playing in the U.S.
1679230433838.png

Attachments

• 1679177226721.png
    1679177226721.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: bobber

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
Text

Can someone explain what just happened at the end of that 2nd period?????
From what I can tell, and maybe this is all you saw or gathered as well, there was an icing and the rangers were trying to take their time to rest some guys, but also put out some new players and I think that got called out, so they were sent back, then Roman got a 10-minute misconduct for saying too much to the ref I assume. After this, some rangers were allowed to change for some reason, but they had 6 guys out there, and I believe the ref was having none of it and gave someone a 2-minute penalty for delay of game.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
That's what I thought but it all just seemed very comical and intentional. Anyhow, looks like it is heading toward another Rangers / Knights series and at this point in time, might not be a bad thing. I don't want to face Windsor or the extremely hot Sarnia. London seems to be in a bit of a slump. I think all thoughts of finishing 5th or 6th are gone and the only movement upward might be to overtake Owen Sound as they seem to have the most difficult schedule to end the season. But one never knows.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Text

From what I can tell, and maybe this is all you saw or gathered as well, there was an icing and the rangers were trying to take their time to rest some guys, but also put out some new players and I think that got called out, so they were sent back, then Roman got a 10-minute misconduct for saying too much to the ref I assume. After this, some rangers were allowed to change for some reason, but they had 6 guys out there, and I believe the ref was having none of it and gave someone a 2-minute penalty for delay of game.
I think MM was trying to pull the same mind trick that Windsor coach Savard pulled on the Rangers the last time they met. It worked for him. MM was trying to get Zhilkin out to face off. On an icing the offending team cannot make changes. I guess coaches are looking for ways to stall and rest players. Rangers just caused a lot of confusion but it worked out in the end. The Attack were short handed in this game so that has to be brought into the equation. Rangers are still spinning their wheels at the bottom. I just don't see this team getting past any top team in the 1st round with the defensive errors they make. Outside of maybe a miracle.

DCruickshank

Jan 8, 2022
I think MM was trying to pull the same mind trick that Windsor coach Savard pulled on the Rangers the last time they met. It worked for him. MM was trying to get Zhilkin out to face off. On an icing the offending team cannot make changes. I guess coaches are looking for ways to stall and rest players. Rangers just caused a lot of confusion but it worked out in the end. The Attack were short handed in this game so that has to be brought into the equation. Rangers are still spinning their wheels at the bottom. I just don't see this team getting past any top team in the 1st round with the defensive errors they make. Outside of maybe a miracle.
3 of the Attacks top six are out...Kitchener goalie played very well

Reactions: bobber

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
.......... Rangers are still spinning their wheels at the bottom. I just don't see this team getting past any top team in the 1st round with the defensive errors they make. Outside of maybe a miracle.

When Windsor and Sarnia announcers mention (recently) how dangerous of an opponent Kitchener will be in their first round match-up with an upper echelon team in the standings, I can understand how some Ranger fans hold onto that shred of pride. However, I believe it won't take long for opposing fans and those same announcers to realize that this is just a team, while looking good on paper, is simply continually spinning their wheels as you mentioned bobber.

I do realize that the playoffs are a new season however; and maybe after a 68-game schedule the team finally lives up to expectations. It has happened before. After all, historically you usually see an upset in one of the first round series. Maybe the Rangers are that team...2nd year in a row. But in my opinion, things need to start coming together soon for them to be that team.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When Windsor and Sarnia announcers mention (recently) how dangerous of an opponent Kitchener will be in their first round match-up with an upper echelon team in the standings, I can understand how some Ranger fans hold onto that shred of pride. However, I believe it won't take long for opposing fans and those same announcers to realize that this is just a team, while looking good on paper, is simply continually spinning their wheels as you mentioned bobber.

I do realize that the playoffs are a new season however; and maybe after a 68-game schedule the team finally lives up to expectations. It has happened before. After all, historically you usually see an upset in one of the first round series. Maybe the Rangers are that team...2nd year in a row. But in my opinion, things need to start coming together soon for them to be that team.
The proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.:) Us Ranger fans just keep kicking the ball further down the road. I really hope the Rangers make the play offs exciting in particular for fans that actually buy play off tickets. Everyone loves an underdog. I usually don't have much faith in the announcers on the tube with the exception of a few. There are some knowledgeable guys in a few cities that seem to know the game. Some even played pro.
Most are just volunteers that have taken media at college or in the process I guess so they get a mulligan. Basically the Rangers have to pin their hopes on goal tending and a few timely goals like last year. Last night the Attack were missing 3 of the top 6 and still put 40 plus shots on the Rangers net. Won't be long now before the play offs start. Will the Rangers be dangerous? Guess we wait and see.

Last edited:

Ranger77

Dec 29, 2014
Does anyone know who has the tie-breaker advantage if the Rangers and Owen Sound end up tied in points? I believe their head to head record is 4 - 4.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
For those still watching...........

1679301626488.png

Still have a reasonable shot at 5th. Saginaw is unreachable. Also some interesting games coming up in the upper echelon of the conference. Head to head games between London and Windsor. There is a very good chance that Sarnia might be able to squeak into 1st with the way they have been playing.

Reactions: Gondrex

K2

Jun 11, 2015
When Windsor and Sarnia announcers mention (recently) how dangerous of an opponent Kitchener will be in their first round match-up with an upper echelon team
I could see the Rangers or any one of the bottom 3 seeds potentially upsetting a top seed in the playoffs. London would seem most prone to upset (like 2022) and Sarnia has always been seemingly cursed in the playoffs despite their occasional high seeding or loaded rosters. We'll see soon enough.

Oh wow, I thought Hall had called it quits. Nice to see he's been able to stay healthy at the Usports level.
Great to see. Seem's he was confident enough in that shoulder to rack up 109 PIMs in 30 games this season!

Whenever I'm traveling I seek out local games to attend and sure have watched a lot of former Rangers in minor pro, Usports, etc again this year. Always great to see! Recently, I was surprised to see one time Ranger Charlie Dodero playing in France!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm choosing to believe we can climb the standings. Maybe not fifth, but hoping to at least avoid Windsor and an 8th place finish.
Rangers better be careful. Past playoff success aside, I think they need to avoid Sarnia at all costs. That team is the best in the west IMO.

For me, if 5th is out of reach, target 7th and hope for a Kitchener/London matchup.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers better be careful. Past playoff success aside, I think they need to avoid Sarnia at all costs. That team is the best in the west IMO.

For me, if 5th is out of reach, target 7th and hope for a Kitchener/London matchup.
I agree Even. Sarnia is loaded for bear and would be extremely hard to over come in a seven game series. Lots of weapons in their arsenal. :)

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

I agree with Bobber that Sarnia is a beast. The problem is that it is hard to determine the matchups as even the top 3 teams are all tight. I would not even be surprised if Sarnia ended up in 1st with the way they have been playing. They certainly have the easiest schedule (Are there really any easy games, though?) with Erie, Niagara and 2 against Owen Sound to go. Windsor and London have those home and away games against each other and hopefully they will beat each other up a bit before going into the playoffs.

The toughest schedule for the bottom teams has to be Guelph. Windsor, Saginaw, Sarnia. We'll probably have a better idea as to where everyone is headed come Friday. It starts tomorrow night with Owen Sound and Sarnia. A Sarnia win and they are going for top spot and giving the Rangers a one up on Owen Sound. An Owen Sound upset and I feel Sarnia finishes 3rd.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I agree with Bobber that Sarnia is a beast. The problem is that it is hard to determine the matchups as even the top 3 teams are all tight. I would not even be surprised if Sarnia ended up in 1st with the way they have been playing. They certainly have the easiest schedule (Are there really any easy games, though?) with Erie, Niagara and 2 against Owen Sound to go. Windsor and London have those home and away games against each other and hopefully they will beat each other up a bit before going into the playoffs.

The toughest schedule for the bottom teams has to be Guelph. Windsor, Saginaw, Sarnia. We'll probably have a better idea as to where everyone is headed come Friday. It starts tomorrow night with Owen Sound and Sarnia. A Sarnia win and they are going for top spot and giving the Rangers a one up on Owen Sound. An Owen Sound upset and I feel Sarnia finishes 3rd.
I agree Geo. There are no easy wins. It's a strange year in the west. Sometimes the bottom dwellers show up and you would think they are the ones at the top of the standings. The Spits seem to have some issues with defense but the offense is amazing. London has been the stingiest team in the west and I would never count them out with a full squad in seven games. Hunter is a hell of a coach and if any coach finds a way to win he is the one. Sarnia probably loaded up the most and has to be considered the team to come out of the west. They just seem to have a curse on them in the play offs. They must have some of the same bad Juju that befalls the Leafs. In saying this they seemed to have put it together this year going down the stretch here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad