Kitchener Rangers 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
If a signing the one that comes to mind is 2020 4th rounder George Fegaras. If not him then I have no idea.
I went down the last few years of drafts and there area couple whose NCAA commits aren't for until 23-24. Could be one of them, or Odelius or a an undrafted guy I suppose.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That’d be great, but I have a feeling it might be a lower profile undrafted kid. I have no intel though.

Hopefully, MM is not done dealing yet. Perhaps he has an 04 or 03 D coming back as part of a deal where we move out a graduating veteran forward.

But I like the Fegaras idea.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Hopefully, MM is not done dealing yet. Perhaps he has an 04 or 03 D coming back as part of a deal where we move out a graduating veteran forward.

But I like the Fegaras idea.

The only reason I don’t think it’s a trade is he said he has a D coming as a done deal. If it was via trade, at least one of the vets would have been scratched tonight. I expect an off the radar signing.

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
It's pretty open for interpretation what MM said about signing a D man. He did sound pretty certain. My guess is there's probably multiple options on the table still and he just doesn't know which will happen yet. Trade options, draft picks and maybe another Misaljevic-type signing to fall back on if all else falls through.

OJHL is on pause, so I could see how George Fegaras might just be saying screw it to possibly losing another season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It would be interesting to see how MM feels about what our OA situation can be for next year. Today, Serpa and Valade should be back with McDonnell being a maybe.

For me, though a lot can change, I’d think we’d need at least one OA D if not two based on how our D looks today. Five of our current D return next year. I don’t think those five plus rookies gets it done on a contender. And there’s always the threat of losing Schmidt to the AHL.

With the possibility of us maybe employing two OA D next year, having two, maybe three F’s returning creates a problem.

For me, it may be wise to move both McDonnell and Valade at this deadline in order to get the biggest return possible. I’m shopping McDonnell anyway. But I’d also shop Valade to maximize the return he’d bring.

We wouldn’t get as much for a Valade, say, after this deadline if we find ourselves wanting to upgrade on him as an OA.

If we go with Serpa plus two OA D, I’d rather have the assets we’d get in a Valade deal at this deadline than what we’d get for him after this season.

The reason I say go with a Serpa over Valade going into next season as an OA F is because Valade would bring more in trade today than Serpa would.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I don't know what deals MM has on the table but I do believe he won't be robbed. It will have to make sense to the draft cupboard and to the team going forward into next season. I don't know anyone who thinks they will go far in the playoffs but next year, that could be the season to go for it.

And last night IMHO, the Rangers were rusty and not playing like a team that wanted to win. I saw too many players including Schmidt give up on the puck. If it wasn't for Cajan, Erie wouldn't have had to go to the shootout.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
It's nothing compared to Rangers fans obviously, but I have seen Reid Valade and Declan McDonnell play in person and on TV quite a bit. I like both as fits on my Greyhounds as they try to make a run this season.

Most of the trade proposals seem reasonable in a regular year, but the returns in deals for same aged players with OA potential in Cameron Butler and Tucker Tynan give me some pause.

I know Tynan isn't exactly a comp, but he and Butler went basically for a single high pick. Butler has put up about the same point production over the past 2 seasons and like both Rangers players, offers some value in his own end, but isn't a defensive stalwart.

My question has 2 parts. First, what do you guys see in Valade and McDonnell that would justify a team in paying a premium (arguably) for either player. Second, do you think McKenzie will play in this depressed market or will he hold onto his guys and try to go on a run this year and next?

Mar 12, 2009
No intel, just a gut feeling nothing else gets done today besides the D signing. Would like 1 more move but wouldn't be the end of the world, still very happy with the value on the X deal which probably took a lot of MM's time.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
My question has 2 parts. First, what do you guys see in Valade and McDonnell that would justify a team in paying a premium (arguably) for either player. Second, do you think McKenzie will play in this depressed market or will he hold onto his guys and try to go on a run this year and next?

Both are interesting but complementary players. Capable of playing top 6 on any team, but not play drivers consistently. The more consistent and frankly better of the two is McDonnell. Brings grit, net front presence, hands and is a far better playmaker.

Valade however fits Soo’s style a bit better as he’s the much better skater and is also solid on his skates. Has a harder, but less accurate shot and isn’t much of a passer. But his value should be a tad higher as there’s a much better chance he’s back as an OA. That said, MM shouldn’t be motivated to give either away. It won’t be Xhekaj returns but something around half that is more in line. Otherwise, you take your chances at least one comes back as an OA.

ah, for some reason I thought the deadline was today.

It used to be the very next day. They recently changed that.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's nothing compared to Rangers fans obviously, but I have seen Reid Valade and Declan McDonnell play in person and on TV quite a bit. I like both as fits on my Greyhounds as they try to make a run this season.

Most of the trade proposals seem reasonable in a regular year, but the returns in deals for same aged players with OA potential in Cameron Butler and Tucker Tynan give me some pause.

I know Tynan isn't exactly a comp, but he and Butler went basically for a single high pick. Butler has put up about the same point production over the past 2 seasons and like both Rangers players, offers some value in his own end, but isn't a defensive stalwart.

First off, MM is selling. He said just that the other Day in talking about the Xhekaj deal. To paraphrase: “This is my first time as GM that I’m in a selling position”.

On your Butler comparable, I see that likely pertaining to Valade while McDonnell, points aside, brings much more to the table so I’d have him rated higher. But in dealing for these two, you’d be dealing for half a year of McDonnell but for 1.5 years of Valade. He’s almost certainly an OA next year while McDonnell, with his AHL experience last year, invite to the US WJC camp, likely plays pro next year.

If all either can bring us a 2nd, MM would have to decide what is more valuable to his team. The gamble of McDonnell playing an OA season next year vs the 2nd rounder. And, the cost of replacing Valade’s slot as an OA next year vs a 2nd rounder.

Tough call.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
It used to be the very next day. They recently changed that.

Did some looking up - 2017, 2018 and 2019 the trade deadline was the 10th. I'm going to speculate that the OHL rules say the 10th is the trade deadline, and the previous business day is the OA deadline.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Valade however fits Soo’s style a bit better

Valade may well be one of those guys that breakout with a change, perhaps like David Miller did early on when we waived him as an OA and he went (back) to the Soo. McDonnell could go most anywhere and thrive, much as I'd like to see MM line up McDonnell with Mutter and Pinelli when an occasion called for some extra grit.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Rangers have no reason to carry on with 15/16 forwards. Fully healthy, that means Misaljevic, Zidlicky, Swick and Pugliese probably all don't play which would defeat the whole purpose of selling. At least one forwards gotta get moved, but I would hope both Valade and McDonnell.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Did some looking up - 2017, 2018 and 2019 the trade deadline was the 10th. I'm going to speculate that the OHL rules say the 10th is the trade deadline, and the previous business day is the OA deadline.

Yes, for a long time the OA deadline was at noon on the same day, which only left a few hours for a stranded OA to find a team if his team acquired an OA at the deadline. To be fair to those kids, they tried to move it up.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
No McDonnell today. Valade playing on top line with Petizian and Pinelli. Got to think this is a showcase weekend for Valade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad