Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It boils down to one thing for next season....who's the goalie?
Everything else is moot!

I think if we get all three overage forward possibilities back, we'll have to look for a goalie elsewhere. If we are to contend next year, and I think we can finish second in our division and probably third in the conference based on the hit most of the top teams in our conference will take due to graduation, I'm not so sure Pfiel can be a starter for that type of team.

If the above OA situation is the case, we may have to trade for a veteran goalie from a non-contending team. As much as I'd like to draft a goalie in the import draft, our draft position likely won't allow us to take one who'd be a lock to start next year. This veteran goalie from a non-contending team can either be a genuine number one and the job is his, or bring in somebody on the cheap and let him and Pfiel battle for the number one position.

Should one of our three overage forward possibilities not return, I say we give the job to Richardson to start the season and see how it goes from there.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The Bruins may look at how the coaches here develop defense before sending Axel to the Rangers.

I would say that's there sweet spot in terms of developing players, besides that hiccup on Xhekaj in the Rupoli trade. Vukojevic significantly improved his offensive production as the season progressed and as mentioned above, is also playing with more of an edge to his game. Cole Cameron came in and had his best production offensively and defensively since he has been in the league. Kyle Gentles came in here 3 seasons ago as a free agent and ended up a solid bottom pair guy in the 2018 playoff run and a good leader in his OA season. Not many people in southwestern Ontario knew much about BU commit Donovan Sebrango coming into this year, he ended up being the best rookie they had who's offensive skill and grit just got better and better as the season went on. Justin MacPherson was a pleasant surprise and upped his offensive game this year and is now a key piece of the Rangers D core. He was a 5/6 D on Niagara last year.

The Bruins need to look and see that if Axel is sent here, that extends the potential of being a contending team in which Axel would play 20 a night. The coaching staff couldn't be better for a Swedish defenceman

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We could look something like this next year:

C-Meireles -OA
LW-Petizian - 01
RW-Yantsis -OA

C-Damiani - 00
LW-Garreffa - OA
RW-Stepien - 01

C-Langdon - 02
LW-Acquisition - 00
RW-Valade - 02

C-Serpa - 02
LW-Tresoor - 01
F-1st rounder - 03
F-Import-02

Vukojevic -01
MacPherson - 00
Sebrango - 02
Acquisition - 00
Xhekaj - 01
Import -01
3rd rounder - 03

Richardson - OA
Pfiel - 00
2nd rounder(JrB)-03
Or
Pfiel - 00
Acquisition -00
2nd rounder(JrB)-03

This is what we could look like maybe by the American Thanksgiving if we find ourselves to be one of the better teams in the conference.

Maybe not make the acquisitions I've mentioned right away but do so by then. And I don't really mean going out and trading for veteran, high-end players. Just character, leader type players with experience who've gone deep in the post season and would be very good possibilities to return for an overage season.

As I said in my above post, who we use in net will be determined by who returns as OA's.

Players like Guest, Gordon, Rupoli and Dickerson I have not included for various reasons. Mostly because they are likely bubble players who's spots in the lineup can be improved upon via trade and the drafts. I had Tresoor as a bubble player as well. And he still could be. But given his physicality, for now I am pencilling him in.

I also recognize that we could add a free agent and/or someone we have drafted from prior drafts.

Reactions: hockeyfan9102

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Has anybody read Josh Browns last article about how we could be serious contenders next year.
Kitchener Rangers could be a contender as soon as next season
It seems like a quick turnaround is highly possible.
What are your guys opinions?

My feeling is that our team is a bit over-rated. The fact that we did so well on the PP skewed the numbers. When it came to the PP in the playoffs, and even the 5 on 5 for that matter, our top 5 were ineffective against Guelph. Sure, the Storm were a stacked team. But then compare last years Storm to last years Rangers. They managed to steal 2 games from us.

Also, someone posted that we should let Richardson start next year and win the #1. Sorry but I think that was the plan this past year and it didn't work as we had hoped. We will definitely need a goalie.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
We could look something like this next year:

C-Meireles -OA
LW-Petizian - 01
RW-Yantsis -OA

C-Damiani - 00
LW-Garreffa - OA
RW-Stepien - 01

C-Langdon - 02
LW-Acquisition - 00
RW-Valade - 02

C-Serpa - 02
LW-Tresoor - 01
F-1st rounder - 03
F-Import-02

Vukojevic -01
MacPherson - 00
Sebrango - 02
Acquisition - 00
Xhekaj - 01
Import -01
3rd rounder - 03

Richardson - OA
Pfiel - 00
2nd rounder(JrB)-03
Or
Pfiel - 00
Acquisition -00
2nd rounder(JrB)-03

This is what we could look like maybe by the American Thanksgiving if we find ourselves to be one of the better teams in the conference.

Maybe not make the acquisitions I've mentioned right away but do so by then. And I don't really mean going out and trading for veteran, high-end players. Just character, leader type players with experience who've gone deep in the post season and would be very good possibilities to return for an overage season.

As I said in my above post, who we use in net will be determined by who returns as OA's.

Players like Guest, Gordon, Rupoli and Dickerson I have not included for various reasons. Mostly because they are likely bubble players who's spots in the lineup can be improved upon via trade and the drafts. I had Tresoor as a bubble player as well. And he still could be. But given his physicality, for now I am pencilling him in.

I also recognize that we could add a free agent and/or someone we have drafted from prior drafts.

I think there's still a lot that can be improved on in that lineup. Petizian for one, I would hope is around where you have Langdon and Valade. You could then trade for a higher end 00 to play with Meireles and Yantsis or Damiani and Stepien. If they are going to import a forward, you want him to be higher up in the lineup and contributing more offensively than a 4th liner. The 00 acquisition on D will have to be a solid top 4 guy too. Neither Richardson or Pfeil should be starters if the team is to contend.

My wish list would be:
- top 6 forward via trade
- Axel Andersson
- starting goalie via import draft
- bottom 6 00 forward
- bottom pairing 01 RD

acquisition-Meireles-Yantsis
Garreffa-Damiani-Stepien
Petizian-Langdon-Valade
Tresoor-03 1st-acquisition
Dickerson

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Andersson
Xhekaj-acquisition
03 3rd

Import
Pfeil

I didn't include Serpa as that may be apart of the cost to get a top 6 forward. If they can keep him, even better.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I would say that's there sweet spot in terms of developing players, besides that hiccup on Xhekaj in the Rupoli trade. Vukojevic significantly improved his offensive production as the season progressed and as mentioned above, is also playing with more of an edge to his game. Cole Cameron came in and had his best production offensively and defensively since he has been in the league. Kyle Gentles came in here 3 seasons ago as a free agent and ended up a solid bottom pair guy in the 2018 playoff run and a good leader in his OA season. Not many people in southwestern Ontario knew much about BU commit Donovan Sebrango coming into this year, he ended up being the best rookie they had who's offensive skill and grit just got better and better as the season went on. Justin MacPherson was a pleasant surprise and upped his offensive game this year and is now a key piece of the Rangers D core. He was a 5/6 D on Niagara last year.

The Bruins need to look and see that if Axel is sent here, that extends the potential of being a contending team in which Axel would play 20 a night. The coaching staff couldn't be better for a Swedish defenceman
As an almost life time Bruin fan(don't tell Ward and Tim) I would love to see him playing at the Aud.
Always exciting to get a decent import player that may put up some decent numbers and have an impact.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I mean, Sebgrango has come along very well and after a slow start, the coaches did some tinkering with Vuk and he looked great in the second half. There are negative with this organization, but there are some positives. It's 2 days after the season and everyone's already down about next year. I think we're trending in a better direction than before MM came aboard.
Vukojevic has bite to his game, there were a few shifts in the playoffs where he had 3-4 hit attempts on different players in a 10-15 second stretch. If he brings that more consistently, we'll have some of that "grit". We had an extremely gritty physical player who would have been an OA, but things didn't work out for him.
I am not saying the coaches here don't develop defensemen. Just wondering what the Bruins would do with Axel. They do draft a lot of players from Europe. With them your never sure what their thinking is on a prospect.

Reactions: Torgo

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think there's still a lot that can be improved on in that lineup. Petizian for one, I would hope is around where you have Langdon and Valade. You could then trade for a higher end 00 to play with Meireles and Yantsis or Damiani and Stepien. If they are going to import a forward, you want him to be higher up in the lineup and contributing more offensively than a 4th liner. The 00 acquisition on D will have to be a solid top 4 guy too. Neither Richardson or Pfeil should be starters if the team is to contend.

My wish list would be:
- top 6 forward via trade
- Axel Andersson
- starting goalie via import draft
- bottom 6 00 forward
- bottom pairing 01 RD

acquisition-Meireles-Yantsis
Garreffa-Damiani-Stepien
Petizian-Langdon-Valade
Tresoor-03 1st-acquisition
Dickerson

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Andersson
Xhekaj-acquisition
03 3rd

Import
Pfeil

I didn't include Serpa as that may be apart of the cost to get a top 6 forward. If they can keep him, even better.

I buy what you're selling to some extent. But the Petizian from this year? Sure, he probably doesn't belong among our top six. Especially if we are contending. But, I see next year as a breakout season for him. Ditto Langdon, Valade and Stepien.

Not lost on me is the fact that Petizian put into a top six roll at times Down the stretch. That tells me that he should/could move into a top six roll going into next year with the graduation of Hugg.

Of course, if we near the trade deadline, and find ourselves at or near the top of the conference, then sure, we acquire a high-end forward. This was how I see the line up at around the American Thanksgiving.

As far as an import goalie goes, I'm pessimistic that we can get a guy who can come in and be the number one in this import draft based on where we are picking. I believe there were six goalies taken in last year's import draft by pick number 33. We are picking at 39. Unless MM has a cooked up deal in place with the agent of a high end import goaltender, I think we might have to go shopping for goaltending elsewhere.

Fingers crossed regarding Axel. But I'm not holding my breath.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My feeling is that our team is a bit over-rated. The fact that we did so well on the PP skewed the numbers. When it came to the PP in the playoffs, and even the 5 on 5 for that matter, our top 5 were ineffective against Guelph. Sure, the Storm were a stacked team. But then compare last years Storm to last years Rangers. They managed to steal 2 games from us.

Also, someone posted that we should let Richardson start next year and win the #1. Sorry but I think that was the plan this past year and it didn't work as we had hoped. We will definitely need a goalie.

If we don't get all three overage forwards back, no way MM casts off Richardson without giving him a chance to show what he can do. His play down the stretch and in the playoffs warrants that.

If that is the case, I also would not be surprised to see him bring in an OA goaltender from another league as he did when he brought in ADB, to compete with Richardson for the #1 spot.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If we don't get all three overage forwards back, no way MM casts off Richardson without giving him a chance to show what he can do. His play down the stretch and in the playoffs warrants that.

If that is the case, I also would not be surprised to see him bring in an OA goaltender from another league as he did when he brought in ADB, to compete with Richardson for the #1 spot.
It will all come down to what it costs MM to acquire a goalie. Who specifically is available and how much of an upgrade is he over Richardson plus how much of OHL tenure left does he have? What could MM get for one of our OA's? Would 2 second round draft picks and a player in this very deep draft do it?
Too many unknowns...too many options!
Just glad the Rangers have options and their hands aren't tied.
MM should be doing a full court press on Connor Hasley. He did come to camp in 2017 so he did have interest. His performance in that camp did catch my eye as a legit goalie prospect.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If they are going to import a forward, you want him to be higher up in the lineup and contributing more offensively than a 4th liner.

My import situation assumed that we'd be making two selections in the draft. Our need on the backend trumps our need up front. So I figured a D with our first pick and a F with our second, which would be mid second round meaning not likely a high end player. I figured taking an 02 who'd be around a few years would allow us to bring him along slow.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
It boils down to one thing for next season....who's the goalie?
Everything else is moot!
I said it on twitter and I'll say it again here:

Not just a #1 goalie, but 2 good Europeans and some secondary scoring. They are losing more goals from Hugg and Lipanov (44) than everyone else returning combined (except JG, GM, JY & RD) scored (40) for the Rangers.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Available picks are
2019OSH 2ndBAR 3rd4th
SAG 4th
---6th7thNB 8th9th---11th---13th14th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Getting Andersson would be huge as it'd give us a high end 19 year old D without giving up assets and that's a game changer for our chances.

I like your team next year. Sure there is some work to do but you have the basis of something and I thought your coach made huge steps forward. You all deserve credit for that as he had some serious learning challenges along the way! Have a good summer ........

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Here's a link to the 570 News interview with Mike Farwell and Mike McKenzie.

Chose March 29 The LRT, Contruction and The Rangers. It starts around 65:50.

The Mike Farwell Show - 570 NEWS

He made a point about not basing all judgement on the success of the season on just the playoffs. I agree as long as it's part of the evaluation. Guelph was older and more skilled and they had some size and heaviness.

On the draft he said skills is the biggest thing they want and they aren't going to just chase size. I just hope that if 2 players are even in skill are up for grabs when we pick, that the bigger one is selected.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
NOW WE'RE TALKING............

13th Overall: Kitchener Rangers

Prospect Selected: Stuart Rolofs – LW
2018-19 Team: Kanata Lasers (HEO)

Boasting a roster flooded with highly skilled young players, adding Stuart Rolofs to the mix will afford the Kitchener Rangers with considerable scoring depth in the years ahead. Sure to skate with the likes of Reid Valade and Isaac Langdon, Rolofs brings size, strength, and innate offensive abilities each and every time he graces the ice. Widely known for his heavy shot, Rolofs can devise and execute scoring plays to boot and stands as a versatile yet lethal threat with each passing shift.

Further, given his 6-foot-2, 190-pound frame, Rolofs will have little trouble adjusting to the OHL-level in 2019-20, as the youngster skates remarkably well for his size and is incredibly difficult to knock off of the puck once in possession. A 33 goal-scorer for the Kanata Lasers of the HEO this past season, Rolofs will be able to jump into the Rangers’ lineup without issue and play a commanding and intimidating role for Kitchener in the years ahead.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Riley Damiani signed his ELC with Dallas today.. congrats to him and his family!

edit: he will also finish the season with Texas in the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad