Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Back in action tonight. It'll be interesting to see who starts in net. Farwell made the bold prediction just before the break that ADB will be back starting this game tonight in Owen Sound.
Let's see!

I just read that he is still not cleared and still out indefinitely

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Josh Brown‏Verified account @BrownRecord 24m24 minutes ago
More
Kitchener goalie Anthony Dumont-Bouchard still not cleared tor return for the Rangers. Remains out indefinitely.

Brown also said that tomorrows article will be an interesting read.

If Rangers are planning to make a run at the title, a goalie has to be part of the plan...especially with this update. And Mete could very well return to a surging London team....... Here we go.

Can't believe it's been 11 days since Rangers last played!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm not surprised that ADB is still out indefinitely. Except for Farwell's ravings, there was no indication from any other source that he was anywhere near returning. He was in a lively on air debate with Chris Pope as to should the Rangers trade for a goalie or not. Pope was saying that they definitely needed to based on the ADB and Opilka injuries and the performance of Richardson and McGonigle. Farwell, forever towing the company line, stated that Kitchener did not need to trade for a goalie and that ADB will be the go to guy.

I'm with True Blue. Unless ADB can get into some games between now and the trade deadline (and to be honest I think it's too late now anyway) to get a good read on what kind a goalie he can be and if he can stay healthy, then we 100% do have to deal for a goaltender if we want to make a serious run. The last thing we need to do is stand pat only to have ADB go down again with the mysterious upper body injury that is actually a concussion. That, for all intents and purposes, will be the end of our season.

IMO, ADB needed to return by the end of November for us to get a read on him.

Now what goalies out there are available? I've heard Cormier from Saginaw mentioned but I wouldn't be surprised if Saginaw stood pat in order to play meaningful games in the playoffs this year. Is there a decent vet out there anywhere?

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That's the kind of overage d-man we should be trading for. I am not a big fan of employing Henderson as one of our three overagers. What he brings to the game is valuable, but could also be provided by one of the younger players like McHugh. We are in desperate need of defence and the third OA spot would be more wisely used on an OA D.

Actually, right now the OA spot used by ADB could be better utilized as well. I am of the belief that if you want to contend, it's a big positive if you can have three very good over agers.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That's the kind of overage d-man we should be trading for. I am not a big fan of employing Henderson as one of our three overagers. What he brings to the game is valuable, but could also be provided by one of the younger players like McHugh. We are in desperate need of defence and the third OA spot would be more wisely used on an OA D.

Actually, right now the OA spot used by ADB could be better utilized as well. I am of the belief that if you want to contend, it's a big positive if you can have three very good over agers.
The same person that posted the trade on twitter said the Rangers were in the mix but got out bid by Hamilton. Once again not sure if that is a fact. Also says in another rumour that the Steelheads are kicking tires on Tippet and M.McLeod.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Complete conjecture on my part on why Henderson is still on the team as a underwhelming OA. With him signing after two yrs in the USHL and maybe turning down a scholarship offer somewhere. He may have been given a promise of 3 yrs in the OHL (and maybe a no-trade)??
Hopefully I'm not correct since his performance in the USHL wasn't worthy of such a deal!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If that deal actually was given to Henderson, maybe it was done so in an effort to attract others as well?

If we were outbid on Stillman. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. We had to listen to Spott tell us most years that we were outbid on certain players. Although he would complain that our offer was better - ie the Austin Watson trade.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If that deal actually was given to Henderson, maybe it was done so in an effort to attract others as well?

If we were outbid on Stillman. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. We had to listen to Spott tell us most years that we were outbid on certain players. Although he would complain that our offer was better - ie the Austin Watson trade.
I think if MM is serious about strengthening this squad he can't beat around the bush. If you wait until the last minutes to make any deals you will get the shaft by a shrewd GM. Something tells me the Rangers have already done something and it just has not been confirmed yet.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
This is from the Oshawa thread.
To Oshawa:
-HAM 2nd in '20
-HAM 2nd in '22
-WSR 3rd in '18
-Conditional 3rd in '24
-Conditional 4th in '23

To Hamilton:
-Riley Stillman #FLAPanthers
12:03 PM - Dec 28, 2017

If the Rangers are considering another goaltender, and another forward, and another d-man or two, I can't imagine the cost. Probably best I close my eyes and ears. A decade's worth of restocking picks, year by year, is possibly about to be emptied out all at once on the table. If the Soo is indeed acquiring Raddysh, at least they'll only need a boatload, not cargo ship.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If Soo gets Raddysh I'm not sure we will be able to acquire enough players to close an already fairly wide gap. Especially considering we need a goalie.

Reactions: GeoBlue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
If Rangers are planning to make a run at the title, a goalie has to be part of the plan...especially with this update. And Mete could very well return to a surging London team....... Here we go.

Can't believe it's been 11 days since Rangers last played!

I don't think Mete to London is such a sure thing considering how the Montreal Canadiens defense is going down like flies.

Reactions: three dog night

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If the Rangers are considering another goaltender, and another forward, and another d-man or two, I can't imagine the cost. Probably best I close my eyes and ears. A decade's worth of restocking picks, year by year, is possibly about to be emptied out all at once on the table. If the Soo is indeed acquiring Raddysh, at least they'll only need a boatload, not cargo ship.

What's the point of having a full cupboard if you're not going to use it in seasons like this?

We'll be rebuilding for the next two + years anyway. That just means next year we start the selling to recoup the picks.

I would just as soon use the picks in a season like this to buy players then to use them on picks like our second rounder last year that's not reporting.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Good win tonight. However, with Josh Brown stating that ADB is still out indefinitely with a concussion, and Mike Farwell saying During the pregame that he's been told by the team that there is no timetable for his return, this pretty much seals the deal.

We have to be in the market for a goalie at this deadline.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers played a fairly solid game last night. Scoring was spread out and Joey G proved he can put up points from either position back or front. Owen Sound seem to pick up their game in the second but Richardson was sold in net and made some great saves to keep the Attack from getting back into this game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
From Peter Ricci SAULT STAR:
An Ontario Hockey League source tells me the starting point for teams wanting to talk to the Otters about Raddysh, their multi-talented 19-year-old, is four second-round draft picks.
But that's only the beginning.
Toss in, say, a couple of thirds and a promising young player, either a 16 or 17-year-old, and you may have the makings of a deal.

On a side note someone mentioned the Spits Brown was injured last night. Hope the Rangers haven't looked that way yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad