Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Will Logan Stanley be dressed tonight? Throwing out 3 rookie defenders against the Greyhounds would make it a difficult task.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree 100 percent ward. However, I don't know if we'll get the win tonight with our goaltending. But if we do come out and have a strong effort like you say, and win, or lose 5-4 or 6-5 based solely on our goaltending, then I'll be just as optimistic that once we do get a seasoned goaltender between the pipes we'll be OK against the top teams.

If I am the players I don't see how they would want to come out any other way than with a strong effort. They need to send management a message that this is our year and we are able to beat top teams so therefore get out there on the trade market and do the upgrades.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
I know it's a different GM now, but not going after a #1 goalie this year seems pretty ridiculous considering we traded for Patterson in '15 while at the beginning of a rebuild. This is a year that a trade like that would actually make (common) sense.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Yup. A Paterson type would look pretty good here now!

I'm not optimistic going with ADB as our goal tender. Not so much because of his play but because of the possibility of a recurrence of the concussion. What we have been going with while he has been out with this injury is not going to get it done on the stretch and into the playoffs.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I know the hot topic are trades and upgrading but for me tonight's game will tell me the future for this team this year.
Come out and show a high compete level and regardless of the outcome then I'm 100% onboard for making some upgrades.
But if they come out and lay another big egg with zero compete then the issues are a lot more than what trades for teenage boys can solve!
Since i won't be there my money is on a good result and snapping the Hounds win streak!
I think you hit the nail on the head Ward. To contend you have to be able to hang in with the top teams in the league. These games will give the GM a good idea of whether this team can make a strong play off run. The Soo has a stingy defense with only 85 goals scored on their goalies. I think they are tied for the lowest GA league wise. They have the top goalie in the league also.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I think you hit the nail on the head Ward. To contend you have to be able to hang in with the top teams in the league. These games will give the GM a good idea of whether this team can make a strong play off run. The Soo has a stingy defense with only 85 goals scored on their goalies. I think they are tied for the lowest GA league wise. They have the top goalie in the league also.

Villalta never gets recognized as one of the top goalies, but it's nice to see that Rangers fans have some respect for him. I understand that W-L record is not all that meaningful, but he is 44-5-0 so far in his career, which blows my mind.

I hope the Rangers get ADB back. He was extremely impressive in the first game in the Soo, could be a huge add in the second half.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What makes you think there won't be an avalanche with Richardson in net?

Just asking.

Now that DiPietro's been cut from Team Canada, maybe MacKenzie can dive right into talks with Warren Rychel on bringing him to Kitchener.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
What makes you think there won't be an avalanche with Richardson in net?

Just asking.

Now that DiPietro's been cut from Team Canada, maybe MacKenzie can dive right into talks with Warren Rychel on bringing him to Kitchener.
There may be a trade freeze tomorrow but the GM's never stop talking - I remember an interview with Rychel and he talked about getting calls Christmas day, busy time of year for GM's.

Reactions: punch1943

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
That, and Kitchener completely stopped skating in the last 10 minutes. Dropping three forwards into stationary positions the whole time. It was just a matter of time when you play like that.

Reactions: bobber

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
This game came down to goaltending. Their goaltender was better than ours. He won that game for the Soo in the first period.
He played well minus his blunder on the 3rd goal after that goal I thought there streak was over Kitchener did play well for about 50 minutes they stopped playing the last 10 minutes and you can't do that against this team even without Katchouk and Timmins who both made team Canada tonight

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
My takes from tonight,

Great game for the most part, a little spoiled at the end, but I'll take a fast played game like that over a lot of the games I've seen this year at The Aud.
For most of this game, Kitchener looked to be dominating the Greyhounds. I'd say 75% of the game was in Kitchener's favour.
Faceoffs aren't going well, if we are adding a player, might want faceoffs to be a big part of that players game.
Ladd had a better game, seems to be gaining a bit more confidence and more of the coaches trust to play him
Forwards Liska, Bunnaman, Hugg, Henderson, Damiani, Carter had good games, 4th line was solid, probably could have used more of them in the 3rd.
Sherwood can bring more then he did tonight, but hopefully he'll turn it on again soon, can be a very dominant player offensively and physically.

Overall, if we play like we did for the first 40, most nights we would be eating a team alive IMO. Hope the boys dont get discouraged and play like this again on Sunday afternoon. The way they've played the last few is very encouraging heading towards the deadline. Hopefully GM MM will be shrewd with his moves, would love to see him be creative and play the situation in the OHL this year well. Lots of teams wanting to add depth for this year and next, I think we could potentially find a way to gain assets by moving a 99 to an East team, and then use that asset to buy elsewhere. Or flip a 99 for a 98 with a team thats aiming more for next season instead of this one.

Nothing more exciting then Christmas and of course, Second Christmas: World Juniors/OHL Trade Deadline season

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Really enjoyed that game against the Hounds. Rangers really had them hemmed in their end at times. They are a tough team to get real decent chances on. Our guys came out flying in the first and got some applause from the fans for their effort which was great to see. Richardson played well in this one. The tying goal was a result of the uncalled high stick to Sherwood who took himself out of the play and the winner was the result of an uncovered Hound standing in front of the Rangers net alone.
I thought it was a mistake to trap for so long in the third because the Hounds have to many weapons and were using that back passing play that the Rangers use on the PP to break the trap. Anyway really enjoyed the game. Hope to see more of the same.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Melrose

May 8, 2014
You're right Bobber, laying back in the last 10minutes killed us and we lost any momentum we had left. With a team like the Sault you have to keep the foot on the gas as they just keep coming with lots of confidence. That late trapping by the Rangers just makes me crazy and it's frustrating to watch because you see the same result over and over.

EastAveFan

Nov 20, 2013
I know it's a different GM now, but not going after a #1 goalie this year seems pretty ridiculous considering we traded for Patterson in '15 while at the beginning of a rebuild. This is a year that a trade like that would actually make (common) sense.

If you remember we had 2 tenders who were Jr B caliber at that time (Greenfield and Dekort) plus the Rangers hadn't won in about 8 or 9 games when the trade was made. If they didn't shore up the net they might not have made the play offs.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Coaching lost this one.

I don't how people expect Richardson to stand on his head for ten minutes straight while his team is clearly told to play the trap or whatever the hell that is. Especially against a team on a 18-game win streak. Besides ANOTHER breakaway while we're on the PP, Richardson wasn't very busy all night. Then we decide to sit back and let them literally glide into the zone. I don't know why anyone would be surprised with how the 3rd went.

The fact that the PP is still giving up odd-man rushes and we're still playing the trap in the 3rd with a one or two goal lead after so many failed attempts is scary. There's no common sense.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
If you remember we had 2 tenders who were Jr B caliber at that time (Greenfield and Dekort) plus the Rangers hadn't won in about 8 or 9 games when the trade was made. If they didn't shore up the net they might not have made the play offs.

But that doesn't mean you give up 2nd rounders for the best goalie in the league just to make the playoffs. Plus Carty was with the team then and in my opinion showed a lot of promise. Remember that game against the future Mem Cup Champs Oshawa that he stole. Goalie development has been a problem here. Carty could have benefited from more playing time. The guy was invited to Dallas Stars camp, but is now playing university hockey. Maybe Richardson would feel a little more confident now if he had more games under his belt.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Coaching lost this one.

I don't how people expect Richardson to stand on his head for ten minutes straight while his team is clearly told to play the trap or whatever the hell that is. Especially against a team on a 18-game win streak. Besides ANOTHER breakaway while we're on the PP, Richardson wasn't very busy all night. Then we decide to sit back and let them literally glide into the zone. I don't know why anyone would be surprised with how the 3rd went.

The fact that the PP is still giving up odd-man rushes and we're still playing the trap in the 3rd with a one or two goal lead after so many failed attempts is scary. There's no common sense.

Sports has evolved the last few yrs. At one time the motto was "defense wins championship". While that still may hold true but lately most championship teams main focus has been on offense. In the NFL, the gold standard has been the Patriots with a high powered offense lead by Tom Brady, the NHL with Chicago with Kane and Toews then Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin and Kessel, the NBA with the Warriors with Curry and Thompson then the Cavs with James and Love. Lets not forget MLB with the Astros. Yes, they all played defense but their main weapon was offense in which applied pressure on their opponents and made them make mistakes. This philosophy may actually have greater affect when applied in the OHL in which unseasoned players on defense may panic even more and cause game changing mistakes/turnovers.

I hate sitting back and letting the other team dictate the pace of the game. Also I really haven't seen too many goals scored for a team when they don't possess the puck!

The pressure will also lead to penalties for the other team also which may or not be an advantage this yr! ;)

Last edited:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Coaching lost this one.

In all fairness, you were facing the best offensive penalty kill that I have ever seen. The Hounds get a ridiculous number of shorthanded breaks against every team. They scored 2 on the same PK against Sarnia last week.

Reactions: Gohoundsgo

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Ranger coach actually played right into the Soo's game plan of puck possession last night in the third period. We have an analytics guy here now. He must know that the Soo thrives on puck possession? Deboer had a team with great defensemen that could actually shut down another squad with minutes left. This team has to keep pushing the play because they simply are not great at holding a lead late in games for the most part. I think most fans leaving weren't too surprised about the winning goal.
We have seen that before a few times. Still despite losing in the end it was fairly entertaining. Wonder what is up with McGonigle? Did he ever really get back to full health. Seemed like he was still on the mend when he first came back as a BUG.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Heck of a game last night! It felt and sounded like a playoff fame.

I confess.....I thought it might be a blowout again....but the boys came to play and they took it to the Soo....no doubt. Loved their first two goals....and when Soo scored theirs, Rangers came right back to make it 3-1. They had the Soo on the ropes at the end of the 2nd. And in Brown's article he mentioned their two top players that were missing. He failed to mention that Hall wasn't in the game...or that two top goalies aren't playing. So cry me a river that the Soo was missing a couple of players. Seriously.

Then the 3rd...........McKee denied that he went to their little "secret" play when interviewed by Pope. Well, if that wasn't trapping I don't know what is! Rangers should have kept their foot on the pedal but it was obvious that they weren't. Very obvious except to the coach it seems.......

My section is right up above where Sherwood was when he took a stick to the face. It was a penalty.....plain and simple....blatant....yet two refs did not make a call?? The puck had just been there moments before. Hello??? That penalty call would have put the Rangers on the PP and Soo's 3rd goal would not have happened. A game changer for sure.

As for the 4th goal..........what a crime. Rangers should have at the very least got a point out of that game. But because their style of play changed in the 3rd, the door was opened for the Soo.

I'm sure fans are as frustrated as the players. But the takeaway should be.....they CAN play with the best!

Special note: I saw quite a few new offensive plays out there and can't help but wonder if this is a result of our Swedish coach.

Gohoundsgo

Oct 28, 2017
Heck of a game last night! It felt and sounded like a playoff fame.

I confess.....I thought it might be a blowout again....but the boys came to play and they took it to the Soo....no doubt. Loved their first two goals....and when Soo scored theirs, Rangers came right back to make it 3-1. They had the Soo on the ropes at the end of the 2nd. And in Brown's article he mentioned their two top players that were missing. He failed to mention that Hall wasn't in the game...or that two top goalies aren't playing. So cry me a river that the Soo was missing a couple of players. Seriously.

Then the 3rd...........McKee denied that he went to their little "secret" play when interviewed by Pope. Well, if that wasn't trapping I don't know what is! Rangers should have kept their foot on the pedal but it was obvious that they weren't. Very obvious except to the coach it seems.......

My section is right up above where Sherwood was when he took a stick to the face. It was a penalty.....plain and simple....blatant....yet two refs did not make a call?? The puck had just been there moments before. Hello??? That penalty call would have put the Rangers on the PP and Soo's 3rd goal would not have happened. A game changer for sure.

As for the 4th goal..........what a crime. Rangers should have at the very least got a point out of that game. But because their style of play changed in the 3rd, the door was opened for the Soo.

I'm sure fans are as frustrated as the players. But the takeaway should be.....they CAN play with the best!

Special note: I saw quite a few new offensive plays out there and can't help but wonder if this is a result of our Swedish coach.
I agree that was a missed call on the high stick, but maybe you should be thanking the refs. They weren't interested in calling much of anything in that game. Rangers could easily have been short handed for about half of that game.

Reactions: RangerNation

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
That 3rd period was a roller coaster of emotions for me.

1) The play of the Rangers...blah. That was classic trap in capital letters.
2) That missed high stick. That play continued and lead to the tying goal. I didn't see Sherwood return after that. I appreciate the refs letting the teams play and keep it a close checking game, but there are some penalties that are obvious and should be called.

Point 2 doesn't out weigh point 1 though. If the Rangers had continued their fore check like they did in the 1st and 2nd, a 1 goal game could have been 2 or even 3.

They played with them, which is great to see, but a win would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad