Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I didn’t even notice him leave the ice. He needs surgery this offseason, hopefully he will be back for start of the playoffs

In the first period. A very innocent play just like the last couple times he went down. That shoulder must be held together with angel hair pasta.

As long as it doesn't mean Garreffa is back on D. His line is playing great hockey right now.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hall just looked at McKee and shook his head. Word is he's okay but probably on orders to shut it down at any sign of trouble and not risk the playoffs.

Nods to Vukojevic and McEneny today. What an effort. Imagine Vuk at 19? Trouble is he might not be here.

I hope you're right about Hall. On a long playoff run, we're going to need all hands on deck.

I asked the question on here a few pages back about Vukojevic. I'm afraid there's a possibility based on how he is progressing that we may lose him after the end of next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Wallach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Micheal Vukojevic.

It's 13 games into his OHL career and I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say the kid is the real deal. Blue chipper for sure. Not a real surprise since he was the consensus top ranked d-man in his OHL draft class.

But is he too good? The coaching staff hasn't been hiding him from tough minutes. He's played against the opposition's best at times and has performed well. He makes the odd mistake (he is only 16) but to be honest, he's getting better and better every game. His play has made Hall's absence a lot less impactful. I'm thinking by regular season's end, he could be good enough to step right into a top four spot on the roster should Hall or anyone else for that matter have to come out of the lineup.

I'm not calling him Ekblad or Chychrun just yet, but could he follow the same path? In other words, are we destined to lose him to the NHL after the 2018-19 season or the 2019-20 season?

This the the post I was talking about regarding Vukojevic.

Reactions: bobber and SYWTom

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Hall just looked at McKee and shook his head. Word is he's okay but probably on orders to shut it down at any sign of trouble and not risk the playoffs.

Nods to Vukojevic and McEneny today. What an effort. Imagine Vuk at 19? Trouble is he might not be here.

They said on the postgame that Hall will have to see the doctor again. Hopefully it’s the same situation and it’s just playing through discomfort until offseason surgery

Reactions: Tim Wallach

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
A little love here for Richardson. 19 shots in the 3rd (did Kitchener really only get 4?) and some big saves late. Like to see him staying sharp between starts. And credit Saginaw for the way they finished after playing twice already this weekend.

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Young Vukojevic played 27 minutes today. Did a decent job back there for a rookie. I can just see him getting better and better with every game he plays from here on out.
From Mr. Brown's blog: D Connor Hall left the game in the first period and did not return. The veteran has already missed time this season with a shoulder injury, one that will require off-season surgery. Coach Jay McKee said Hall didn't seem too bad after the game and that they'll know more after a doctor takes a look.

Last edited:

Ranger007

Jan 12, 2017
Vukojevic came so close to getting his first OHL goal today too. Absolutely robbed on a beautiful feed from McHugh.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Vukojevic has been fantastic, but for me, it's tough to see him making the NHL as a teenager. It's not a thing that usually happens, and when it does those guys put up good offensive numbers, even as 16 year olds. Not to say he can't develop that part of his game, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

Reactions: robertmac43

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Our first round opponent is still up in the air.

Windsor, Saginaw and Guelph have all played 65 games and have 3 to go.

Windsor has 66 points. They play at home to Owen Sound, In Flint and at home to Saginaw.

Saginaw has 66 points. They play in thew Soo, at home to London and in Windsor

Guelph 65 points they play us at home, us at The Aud and in Erie.

Soo plays the 8th place team, we play the 7th, Sarnia plays the 6th. 4th London and 5 Owen Sound will meet.

Personally, I hope we meet Guelph. It's a great rivalry and allows fans of both teams to catch games in each other's rink.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Vukojevic has been fantastic, but for me, it's tough to see him making the NHL as a teenager. It's not a thing that usually happens, and when it does those guys put up good offensive numbers, even as 16 year olds. Not to say he can't develop that part of his game, but I don't think we've seen it yet.
Hedgeway I agree it is extremely rare for a D to make the NHL right out of junior. Some scouts did talk of Vukojevic only being in junior for a couple of years. Depends on how fast this kid matures. Size is there already. Being developed properly will be the difference.

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
Our first round opponent is still up in the air.

Windsor, Saginaw and Guelph have all played 65 games and have 3 to go.

Windsor has 66 points. They play at home to Owen Sound, In Flint and at home to Saginaw.

Saginaw has 66 points. They play in thew Soo, at home to London and in Windsor

Guelph 65 points they play us at home, us at The Aud and in Erie.

Soo plays the 8th place team, we play the 7th, Sarnia plays the 6th. 4th London and 5 Owen Sound will meet.

Personally, I hope we meet Guelph. It's a great rivalry and allows fans of both teams to catch games in each other's rink.
You're reading my mind, Sheila. Looking at the remaining games, you have to think Windsor is a lock for at least two more points. With that schedule, does Saginaw get any? And Guelph should be able to pick up something versus Erie, which would give us the Storm in Round One. Of course, anything at all can happen.

I'm not thrilled at the idea of meeting DiPietro in the 1st round, we swept Saginaw in the season series, but Guelph is close. I have a feeling we'll be waiting until Sunday, when Windsor hosts Saginaw, to see who we're playing.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't know why everybody is so worried about playing Windsor. In my opinion, that will be my first choice of opponent amongst the three possible opponents we may face.

DiPietro has not been an issue for us this year. Granted, I know he has the capability of standing on his head. But this year we have scored an average of 4.5 goals per game against him. All of that before the trade deadline. Since then, they traded away most of their experience vets. Sure we split the season series with them. But both Windsor wins came with a hat trick from Brown in one and a hat trick from Luchuk in the other - players that are no longer with the team.

Once you factor in the fact that of the three teams, they probably have the youngest and least experienced skaters - especially on D, I'm thinking we'd overwhelm them. That would mean 40 to 50 shots a game against DiPietro. I don't think he could hold up to that as good as he is.

The last team of the three that I'd want to play is Saginaw. They have a lot more experience and very good goaltending in Cormier. It seems to me that that team is one year away from being a contender.

The best thing about playing Guelph, aside from us being so familiar with them, is as was said above – they are close and we will be able to go to every game if we wanted to.

That being said, I don't think we have any trouble getting through the first round. I think we would beat Windsor in 4, Guelph in four or five, but Saginaw could take us to a sixth game but even if they didn't, I'm betting each game will be close which means not being able to roll for lines as much as we would want to. Plus, I believe Saginaw may be the most physical of the three teams. We may not have an easy series physically against them.

Last edited:

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
I don't know why everybody is so worried about playing Windsor. In my opinion, that will be my first choice of opponent amongst the three possible opponents we may face.

DiPietro has not been an issue for us this year. Granted, I know he has the capability of standing on his head. But this year we have scored an average of 4.5 goals per game against him. All of that before the trade deadline. Since then, they traded away most of their experience vets. Sure we split the season series with them. But both Windsor wins came with a hat trick from Brown in one and a hat trick from Luchuk in the other - players that are no longer with the team.

Once you factor in the fact that of the three teams, they probably have the youngest and least experienced skaters - especially on D, I'm thinking we'd overwhelm them. That would mean 40 to 50 shots a game against DiPietro. I don't think he could hold up to that as good as he is.

The last team of the three that I'd want to play is Saginaw. They have a lot more experience and very good goaltending in Cormier. It seems to me that that team is one year away from being a contender.

The best thing about playing Guelph, aside from us being so familiar with them, is as was said above – they are close and we will be able to go to every game if we wanted to.

That being said, I don't think we have any trouble getting through the first round. I think we would beat Windsor in 4, Guelph in four or five, but Saginaw could take us to a sixth game but even if they didn't, I'm betting each game will be close which means not being able to roll for lines as much as we would want to. Plus, I believe Saginaw may be the most physical of the three teams. We may not have an easy series physically against them.
I can’t see us sweeping Windsor. I agree that we’ve done well versus DiPietro but you just can’t underestimate a hot goalie. Given the choice, I wouldn’t want to take the chance. So I’m much happier with Guelph or Saginaw.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Each opponent offers a unique challenge:

- Windsor is DiPietro and some kids with nothing to lose who have been winning a lot
- Saginaw like Even said is one year away from a very good team
- Guelph arguably has the most skilled team of the three (certainly the most offensive weapons)

To be honest, I'm not worried about any of the three. I think Kitchener wins without much problem, but travel aside, I think Saginaw would be my top choice. They don't have the threats.

Reactions: MediaCritic

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
DiPietro hasn't a lot of post season pedigree. Outside of the four games he played in the Memorial cup last year, which I agree is huge, he has not impressed. He had a lot better team in front of him in last year's playoffs then he will this year and Windsor still went down relatively easy to London. When I mean easy, I mean they had no business, really, going out in the first round- especially with that stacked team.

I agree with Tim that Guelph likely is the most skilled, and Saginaw is a year away. But none of those three teams have been winning much lately. I think Saginaw can be the most physical team to have to play against and that won't bode well with some of our guys who are iffy health-wise.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
DiPietro hasn't a lot of post season pedigree. Outside of the four games he played in the Memorial cup last year, which I agree is huge, he has not impressed. He had a lot better team in front of him in last year's playoffs then he will this year and Windsor still went down relatively easy to London. When I mean easy, I mean they had no business, really, going out in the first round- especially with that stacked team.

I agree with Tim that Guelph likely is the most skilled, and Saginaw is a year away. But none of those three teams have been winning much lately. I think Saginaw can be the most physical team to have to play against and that won't bode well with some of our guys who are iffy health-wise.

Dipietro's average was similar to Parsons in the London series, actually allowed less even strength goals then Parsons,as the 2 teams excluding empty netters had the same number goals for and against,7 game series wasn't a gimme for either side.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Three games in four days to round out the season. As usual, none of the games mean anything to us. But if I'm the Rangers, in the interest of resting up / protecting Culina, I would play Richardson in two of the three games.

Not sure I want Richardson playing back to back tonight and tomorrow night, but I don't think it's imperative that we play Culina against Sarnia tomorrow night either.

I also don't want to have Culina off developing rust from Wednesday until the following Friday. It's already announced our first post season game will be March 23. I think it's more a important to have Culina play at home Friday than avoiding having Richardson play back to back games.

So if it were up to me, I'd go with Richardson tonight and tomorrow night and have Culina play on Friday.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just a quick question. When the teams finish warming up and leave the ice surface there is a big buff of smokey mist coming fron some connection or pipe up at the restaurant end of the ice up high. Anyone know what that is and why it is being done? At first I thought the Zamboni's needed a ring job:)

Logans are in the lineup tonight according to Brown.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Or Stanley. Let him heal up properly.

Somebody will have to play the games. I keep Hall out of all three for sure. I rotate McEneny and Stanley out as well. When they do dress, they play sparingly. I'd dress Peterson in all three and give him regular minutes. You never know when you may need him on a long playoff run. Truth be told, they should've had him in the lineup off and on down the stretch for just this reason.

Play Gentles, York, Peterson and Vukojevic top four minutes and have Vallati and Stanley/McEneny fill in as bottom pairing guys.

Remember, these are nothing games. The last thing we need is an injury on defence going into the playoffs.

While I'm at it, I'd roll four lines up front. Rotate out of the lineup who you can insuring guys like Guest, Petizian, and Yantsis get huge minutes. Still keep the Bunnaman, Garreffa, Mascherin line intact and have them continue to gel. Brown stays out til he's 100%. Hugg has filled in pretty good between Smith and Sherwood as a plan B whenever Brown is out. Even dress Gordon to get him a look. Whatever it takes to rest the guys you need to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad