Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'll guess Damiani. I'm a conspiracy theorist. Look for the refs to give the Rangers a couple of PPs early to try and get everything over with midway through the 1st.

And no matter how many bears are tossed on the ice, they'll announce more than whatever they had in London and a new Ranger record - at least a hundred more than we had last year.

What I want a count on is how many bears are in the bowels of the Aud right now that they'll include in tonight's totals. Every year they bring a ton into the Aud that come from lord knows where.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I'll guess Damiani. I'm a conspiracy theorist. Look for the refs to give the Rangers a couple of PPs early to try and get everything over with midway through the 1st.

And no matter how many bears are tossed on the ice, they'll announce more than whatever they had in London and a new Ranger record - at least a hundred more than we had last year.

What I want a count on is how many bears are in the bowels of the Aud right now that they'll include in tonight's totals. Every year they bring a ton into the Aud that come from lord knows where.

They come from Canadian Tires in the area where they have been collecting for weeks already

Love Teddy bear game
I'll take Liska for the teddy goal

Melrose

May 8, 2014
This coaching staff must love this loosey, goosey hockey, to hell with structure and don't worry if you don't complete 2 passes.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
On a side note Rychel was at the game with scouts and Director of Player Personal. One poster on the Spits board said he said in an interview after Rangers teddy goal he wants to add 3 players and 10 picks in trades. Won't be our goalies for sure.

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I'll take 5 goals against DiPietro as a positive, and the bears are always great fun for a good cause ... but what a gong show we have going on in goal and defense. Ugly.

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
McKee put the loss on the players. Including the goalies. Seems like he needs to share in the blame. If the team repeatedly comes out unprepared to play from the opening face off (not puck drop!), then either we have a team of players who actually do not care, or we have a coaching staff who cannot motivate them to care.

Apparently, he is going to tear strip off them now in the room. That's all well and good. We'll see what kind of team comes out to play on Sunday.

As far as our goaltending goes, if we don't deal for someone, its ADB or bust. And if he goes down again with this mysterious upper body injury, then we are sunk!!!! No way we win in the playoffs with either of these guys. We'd be prime candidates for a 1st round exit.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
K2, we've run the score vs DiPietro this year. Unfortunately, our goaltending has been much worse. When you score 5 goals a game you have to win every time.

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
K2, we've run the score vs DiPietro this year. Unfortunately, our goaltending has been much worse. When you score 5 goals a game you have to win every time.

Indeed over 4 games it's a whopping 18 against DiPietro. Surprising how we manage to lose the games where we scored 5 goals against him and won the two where we scored fewer (4).

Richardson has to hold some record for game starts where he allows the first shot in ... ugh :help:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I think the lines tonight could say something about whats being offered in trade.

McHugh got chances on 5 on 5 with Mascherin and Hugg.
Guest was playing, which is good that he's back, would be great if he could produce or be moved in a deal.

This team needs some defense. Vallatti seems to be struggling ATM, and with Hall out he's playing top minutes again.
Gotta see a trigger being pulled soon, the trade talk probably isn't helping the dressing room either.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
True dat Tom. With Hall out likely long-term, we need two additions on defence as far as I'm concerned. Not only is Vallati forced to play top line minutes, Stanley is having to play way more than he should. I wouldn't be surprised if he's had to play 35+ minutes a game since Hall went down. That will eventually take a toll.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hate to say it but the way this team is coached and with extremely weak goaltending and defense even Wayne Gretzky playing here couldn't help. Windsor had two or more of it's top players missing and still ran over our "contender " like a freight train. The shame of this is we have Mascherin, Sherwood, Bunner, Stanley, Garreffa Damiani. All but Damiani and Joey G are gone next season and they can't put together a solid game at the Aud. Passing last night was brutal. At the very least should the goal tending coach not be questioned? MM better get this sorted out fast because it will be years before the team has talented players like those mentioned again. I am not sold on him either. Windsor was scouting here last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Cornell

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
At the very least should the goal tending coach not be questioned?

No, we promoted him. That's what this country club does, didn't you know? I'd love to sit in on the performance reviews for our staff. Hmm.... let's see.... we haven't had a single goalie improve during your tenure. In fact, their obvious flaws seem to get worse over time. But you're a great guy to have beers with, so... let's add a title to your job description.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No, we promoted him. That's what this country club does, didn't you know? I'd love to sit in on the performance reviews for our staff. Hmm.... let's see.... we haven't had a single goalie improve during your tenure. In fact, their obvious flaws seem to get worse over time. But you're a great guy to have beers with, so... let's add a title to your job description.
I suspect Kain Tisi is here as long as MM is here.
If I remember correctly from the time that Tisi was first hired that he was MM buddy and was handpicked by MM for this job.
Ongoing issues for this organization is the total lack of skill development in all positions, from the net out to the defence and the forwards. I almost get giddy when I see a tape to tape pass.

Edited to add a positive.....we broke the record for Teddy Bears being tossed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Wallach

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
An opinion from an outsider here; I've seen your team play a few times this season already and I'm aware of the trades that the Rangers have already made this season, which would all indicate that this is the year they are "going for it". I think without a top notch goaltender and 2 veteran Dmen (because of the loss of Hall) your team falls into the group of 4-6 teams that are "ok" but needing pieces to put them near the top. The issue is, will MM make the decision to give up an armful of players and picks to go get DiPietro out of Windsor. He is the only goaltender out there that may be available to put this team over the top. The other pieces can follow but the move for this goaltender is most important IMO.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree. If the goaltending isn't straightened out, then spending assets for improvements elsewhere may very well be a waste of those assets.

I'm of the understanding (though I may be wrong) that the Rangers are all in on ADB as our starter. The issue I have is his health. He's apparently out with concussion/neck issues. These types of injuries could flair up again once he returns. I think it would be quite a gamble not dealing for a starter.

I'd feel more comfortable dealing for a DiPietro. That would solidify our goaltending and free up an OA spot.

Reactions: rangersblues

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I still think Helvig will be traded. Kingston is short of picks; and, traded for Bonello to be their next starter?

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Don't think any amount of trades will help this team unless the coaching changes. The disorganization and lack of preparedness is pathetic. It's repeated over and over and trades won't improve that. You can predict at least one short handed goal goal a game. We need some brain transplants in the old boys club.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I have to agree with EvenSteven, if goaltending is not addressed it really doesn't matter what systems are in place. You look at the wins and losses since ADB has been out and the goaltending has been questionable even in the low GA games. You can have all the systems in place to collapse, breakout, strong side, weak side...whatever your skaters are not going to block every shot. I was hoping Richardson was the 1B or 2A guy but he is not. McGonigle has injury problems, ADB has injury problems. If we want any playoff success (let alone contending) we need to solidify goaltending first because we can't hope that no one gets injured. Deal with a log jam later if need be.

And no one picked Masch for the Teddy Bear goal.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Logan Stanley headed to Team Canada selection camp.

He deserves it.

He was a whipping boy in Windsor but you can see the appreciation by all fans for his game in Kitchener.

He's had a steady season and could make a real impact in Buffalo.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Don't think any amount of trades will help this team unless the coaching changes. The disorganization and lack of preparedness is pathetic. It's repeated over and over and trades won't improve that. You can predict at least one short handed goal goal a game. We need some brain transplants in the old boys club.
Totally agree Melrose. Coaching is a huge problem first and foremost. They can't seem to get things right with some talented kids here. I agree that we need a number one goalie in a big way. Our three goalies are not on the OHL stat sheet now. Any new players coming in will only be made to play the same way we have been accustomed to this season. I could not believe the brutal passing last night. On one PP Mash whiffed on three passes and the Spits scored the shorty on the third missed pass. Then on the PK Hendo and Damiani decided to go for a goal instead of dumping the puck into the Spits zone and turned the puck over resulting in a power play goal. Every little brain fart cost us a goal against last night.The coach blamed it on the leaders omitting himself and the staff. Mark Edwards from Hockey Prospects said he has been to a few Rangers games this year and they lost them all and looked bad in those games.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree with Melrose. But we have a problem. We can fire the head coach and promote from within. In other words, we do the same old same old. Would that make any difference? Or we can clean house altogether. But the problem with that is that we are midseason and any coach we'd bring in is already employed somewhere else.

Bottom line is, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We have a veteran team and we will graduate most of our high end talent after this year. The players who will be next year's vets don't come close to the caliber of player that we'll graduate this year. If we buy, sell or stand pat we are still going to be two or three years before we contend again.

With all that in mind, I think this team at least has to try and go for it this year no matter if the coaching gets addressed or not. The number one thing we should do in light of the above, and in light of Melrose's post is to address the issue between the pipes. After that's done, we go from there.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With Stanley going to the WJ camp, does that mean Peterson can finally get some playing time? Or will McKee drop another forward back to the blue line again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad