Injury Report: Kirk Cousins has a torn Achilles - season over

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This absolutely sucks. He was playing well and they have a lot of winnable games coming up. That might finally end his Vikings tenure, unless he signs a 1 year deal next year.

Well Nick Mullens is currently on IR for at least another week with a mysterious back injury so it'll be Jaren Hall vs. the Falcons unless they god forbid go with Sean Mannion who was signed to the PS when Mullens got hurt in practice. I'd rather bring back Joe Webb or Spurgon Wynn or Todd Bouman or <insert shitty Vikings backup QB of the last 25 years> than Mannion.

If Mullens isn't gonna be back anytime soon I'd just let Hall take his lumps and hopefully they get a Top 10 pick.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This absolutely sucks. He was playing well and they have a lot of winnable games coming up. That might finally end his Vikings tenure, unless he signs a 1 year deal next year.

Well Nick Mullens is currently on IR for at least another week with a mysterious back injury so it'll be Jaren Hall vs. the Falcons unless they god forbid go with Sean Mannion who was signed to the PS when Mullens got hurt in practice. I'd rather bring back Joe Webb or Spurgeon Wynn or Todd Bouman or <insert shitty Vikings backup QB of the last 25 years> than Mannion.

If Mullens isn't gonna be back anytime soon I'd just let Hall take his warts and hopefully they get a Top 10 pick.
Joe Webb is boxing now and was on a roster as recently as May 2021, so he’s probably still got it.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Last game as a Viking?
No contract for next season. He's been tagged twice in his career, so I don't think he can be tagged again or if he can, that amount is going to be well over $60 something million. Vikes still on the hook for $28.5 mill in dead cap space when he leaves.
In March he converted $20 mill of a roster bonus into a signing a bonus, thus, there is $16 mill un-accounted for on the Vikes cap. Plus, there is 2 years left of his $25 mill SB he got back in 2022 to make up the remaining $12.5 mill to get to the $28.5 million.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He will be back. They need each other.
Cousins will have plenty of options in free agency.

Washington, TB, ATL, GB, (leave out Chicago since they will draft a QB), SF (Unlikely given the cap charge), LV, NE.

Aside from Williams/Maye, and probably Penix, not sure if you should expect another first rounder to start right away next season. Any of Ewers, Nix, etc. probably more of a Levis situation, where you give them 6-8 weeks of the season to watch and learn before going into a game.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Cousins will have plenty of options in free agency.

Washington, TB, ATL, GB, (leave out Chicago since they will draft a QB), SF (Unlikely given the cap charge), LV, NE.

Aside from Williams/Maye, and probably Penix, not sure if you should expect another first rounder to start right away next season. Any of Ewers, Nix, etc. probably more of a Levis situation, where you give them 6-8 weeks of the season to watch and learn before going into a game.
He used to be in Washington...I doubt he's coming back, even if Dan Snyder is no longer here.

Washington didn't make a mistake in letting him go after a couple tags, even if they did not replace him with someone similar. Kirk needs a level of talent around him to post his production.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sucks, man. He was probably playing the best football of his career and the team turned it around too. I was all about the tank a few weeks back and hoped they'd trade him but now they're screwed both ways. Probably already won too many games for Caleb/Maye and have no hope for this season.

Feel bad for Kirk too. For all his faults, he's crazy tough/durable and his teammates love him. He bet on himself, as he always has, and seemed to be well on his way to cashing in once again. Now everything is up in the air.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sucks, man. He was probably playing the best football of his career and the team turned it around too. I was all about the tank a few weeks back and hoped they'd trade him but now they're screwed both ways. Probably already won too many games for Caleb/Maye and have no hope for this season.

Feel bad for Kirk too. For all his faults, he's crazy tough/durable and his teammates love him. He bet on himself, as he always has, and seemed to be well on his way to cashing in once again. Now everything is up in the air.
$231 mill earned in his career. He is fine. He is 35 and change right now, so he'd be 36 when the season begins next year. He'd be looking at a Carr type contract structure, which basically gave him $70 mill guaranteed. For the Vikings now, what do they do with Hunter and Smith? Hunter is a free agent and can't be tagged. Smith is probably overpaid for what he brings and would be in line to be cut in the off-season.

NFC, assume the West and East take 2 PO spots with SEA, SF, Dal, Phi. Leaves Minny to battle the weak South for that final WC spot as Detroit will take the North. GB and Chi not PO contenders given what we have seen out of them. GB the QB and Chi the whole team and QB.

How much should Minny value beating out ATL or NO for that final WC spot vs obtaining an extra 2nd plus for Hunter and a mid rounder for Smith?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
$231 mill earned in his career. He is fine. He is 35 and change right now, so he'd be 36 when the season begins next year. He'd be looking at a Carr type contract structure, which basically gave him $70 mill guaranteed. For the Vikings now, what do they do with Hunter and Smith? Hunter is a free agent and can't be tagged. Smith is probably overpaid for what he brings and would be in line to be cut in the off-season.

NFC, assume the West and East take 2 PO spots with SEA, SF, Dal, Phi. Leaves Minny to battle the weak South for that final WC spot as Detroit will take the North. GB and Chi not PO contenders given what we have seen out of them. GB the QB and Chi the whole team and QB.

How much should Minny value beating out ATL or NO for that final WC spot vs obtaining an extra 2nd plus for Hunter and a mid rounder for Smith?

I don't see them selling after winning three straight and being in the playoff picture. As dumb/cliche as we may think it is, you can't be preaching culture and all that stuff every week and then waive the white flag when you're 4-4. I'd trade Hunter considering he's likely not back but I'd be surprised it they did it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't see them selling after winning three straight and being in the playoff picture. As dumb/cliche as we may think it is, you can't be preaching culture and all that stuff every week and then waive the white flag when you're 4-4. I'd trade Hunter considering he's likely not back but I'd be surprised it they did it.
For the players, they definitely expect management to push for the PO if they are still in it and they are holding down a spot right now and/or are tied at 4-4 for one. Would lose most of the room if they waived the towel. Different to do what NYG and TEN just did with Williams and Byard since those 2 teams are out of it. Ten, now wants to see what they have in Levis. NYG, realize Jones isn't it.

Hunter, he gets to hit free agency. His contract calls for no tag. But, he can be traded. Have basically 24 hours to decide what to do with him.

Reactions: Avs_19

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Just sickening, especially with Cousins on a hot streak and the Vikings turning a corner.
Agreed, this is a demoralizing development. But I don't think Minnesota was turning a corner.. they've been pretty good/consistent all season (especially Cousins).

Lost close games to the Eagles & Chiefs. Most teams are gonna lose those games. And Cousins had 4 TDs against Philly. Minnesota has been good all season, but had a tough opening slate.
Will be interesting to see who they start @ QB now..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad