Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 3)

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Kaprizov doesn't get the love he deserves from a national perspective. Marner vs Kaprizov poll ends in a landslide for Marner. Same for Panarin vs Kaprizov, even though Kaprizov has been better at each stage of their careers.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Kaprizov doesn't get the love he deserves from a national perspective. Marner vs Kaprizov poll ends in a landslide for Marner. Same for Panarin vs Kaprizov, even though Kaprizov has been better at each stage of their careers.

My bet is if that Marner vs Kaprizov poll were recreated towards the end of this season, the results would be much closer.

Reactions: zellmatic

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

That Marner poll was from the offseason, it was just strategically bumped by a Kaprizov superfan.

It made more sense back then, even this guy seemed to prefer Marner back then

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Benched despite 9 players being out, Kevin Fiala goes from the doghouse to the penthouse in a big Wild win
As for Kaprizov, it’s believed the Wild got good news after the Bruins’ Trent Frederic finished his check on the Wild star Thursday night. He was talking to a couple of his Capitals comrades in the hallway between locker rooms Saturday morning, looked in good spirits and wasn’t wearing a sling or anything like that.

“It’s so hard to give a time frame,” Evason said. “We’re hoping whenever we play next, we’re hoping he’s in. But I don’t know.”

Reactions: Digitalbooya

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Is anyone else not surprised that the NHL basically buried this? If this was Montreal or Edmonton, fans would be screaming. But it's Minnesota, so who cares if Kaprizov gets injured.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Is anyone else not surprised that the NHL basically buried this? If this was Montreal or Edmonton, fans would be screaming. But it's Minnesota, so who cares if Kaprizov gets injured.

No. A penalty was served, and while I hate the result, I think that penalty was all it deserved. Kaprizov also was tripped up by a Bruins player less than a second before Frederic got there, which put him in a vulnerable position. The hit wasn't as bad as a lot of people seem to think it was. It was illegal, but I don't see an actual intent to injure, just an attempt to take the body and things went wrong.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No. A penalty was served, and while I hate the result, I think that penalty was all it deserved. Kaprizov also was tripped up by a Bruins player less than a second before Frederic got there, which put him in a vulnerable position. The hit wasn't as bad as a lot of people seem to think it was. It was illegal, but I don't see an actual intent to injure, just an attempt to take the body and things went wrong.
This is exactly how I saw it.

Frustrated it happened, sure... but a penalty was called real time. I didn't think it needed anything extra, so move on.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Buried it how?

They didn't make a comment on it; even a cursory we reviewed the play, and as unfortunate as it was, we do not deem it suspension worthy.

The biggest issue is that Frederic never had the intention of making a hockey play. He literally skated over the puck to hit Kaprizov. And in the past, the DPS has been a little bit harder on players when they go out of their way to hit a player. Fiala got suspended 3 games for his hit and that was much more of a hockey play than whatever the hell Frederic was doing.

It doesn't matter if there was an attempt to injure or not. Coyle got a talking to when he was being reckless (remember his hit on Asinomov), Fiala got suspended for his hit on Roy. There has been other egregious acts that were more hockey plays than what Frederic was doing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They do that whenever there is a controversial play or whenever a coach complains.
They do that when there's a lot of outrage on a hit, yes. Usually the outrage is either due to no penalty being called, or because it was so serious and blatant it demands it.

Neither situation qualifies here.

Not a ton of outrage because a penalty was rightfully called at the time, and the hit didn't seem to warrant anything more, so most everyone was pretty satisfied by the price paid.

It didn't even generate a thread on the main board here like most of those that generally get a statement from the department of player safety.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It didn't even generate a thread on the main board here like most of those that generally get a statement from the department of player safety.

That's not a good barometer either. Minnesota barely registers a blip in the NHL.

Evason even called the NHL in his statement; 'they always talk about it being a hockey play and that is not a hockey play'. Evason specifically called the NHL into looking into this and the NHL doesn't seem to do that.

"Thought it was an unnecessary hit on a vulnerable player," said Evason. "I hope the league looks after it. They have before, they've looked after plays that weren't hockey plays -- we don't believe that was a hockey play."
Evason hopes the NHL will review the play and handle it like they have in the past.
"We see them all the time, we all see the videos that the league puts out and they always talk about it being a hockey play, and that is not a hockey play," said Evason. "That's what our concern is and obviously was last night. The league's done a great job at looking after those things in the past and we hope that it's looked after this time."

Wild coach Evason rules out Kaprizov vs. Capitals, repeats frustration over 'predatory hit'

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's not a good barometer either. Minnesota barely registers a blip in the NHL.

Evason even called the NHL in his statement; 'they always talk about it being a hockey play and that is not a hockey play'. Evason specifically called the NHL into looking into this and the NHL doesn't seem to do that.

Wild coach Evason rules out Kaprizov vs. Capitals, repeats frustration over 'predatory hit'
Again, no uproar even in local media or fans. So I don't see the point.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is the most fascinating inferiority/victim complex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad