Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He looks small (similar to Granlund's build, IMO) but looks to be built more solid. Kinda reminds me of Tarasenko's body type.

As you can see on the first goal (assist by Kaprizov) in that video, he doesn't shy away from contact, which is a good sign. Looks like he can leverage his size against larger players to protect the puck against the boards as well.

Like you said, it will be interesting to see how he transitions. I don't see any red flags as to whether his game will or won't transition over to North American ice, but I think the question remains as to how effective he'll be. Hoping he doesn't end up being Magnus Paajarvi 2.0.

The guy who just scored the series-clinching goal? That hurts. His main problem was lack of hands, not lack of size, and cheating for defense.

We don't have a ton of evidence on KHLers transitioning to the NHL. You have a guy like Filatov who couldn't handle the NHL and is just now hitting his stride in Russia. Radulov was a good NHLer, a great KHLer, and a good NHLer again. It's not too surprising. But Chad Rau was also a top 30 KHLer scoring-wise this season and Jeff Taffe outscored Kaprizov.

Kaprizov should transition just fine but reasonable expectations are always a good thing in life as in hockey prospects.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The guy who just scored the series-clinching goal? That hurts. His main problem was lack of hands, not lack of size, and cheating for defense.

We don't have a ton of evidence on KHLers transitioning to the NHL. You have a guy like Filatov who couldn't handle the NHL and is just now hitting his stride in Russia. Radulov was a good NHLer, a great KHLer, and a good NHLer again. It's not too surprising. But Chad Rau was also a top 30 KHLer scoring-wise this season and Jeff Taffe outscored Kaprizov.

Kaprizov should transition just fine but reasonable expectations are always a good thing in life as in hockey prospects.

Your comparing a 36 year old with a 20 year old.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
His contract ends next season.

Did anyone say otherwise? The Olympics are during next season.

That's one reason I don't think he'd be motivated to buy himself out of his existing deal.

It's worth keeping in mind that he may also decide that the Wild are not a good fit and a huge deal from a club like SKA is more to his liking.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Your comparing a 36 year old with a 20 year old.

I know. The point is that Jeff Taffe hasn't been an NHL-calibre player for a few seasons now, but he is one of the better players in the KHL. Same with dudes like Chris Lee, Nigel Dawes, Brandon Kozun, Linus Omark. The KHL is a considerable step below the NHL.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Did anyone say otherwise? The Olympics are during next season.

That's one reason I don't think he'd be motivated to buy himself out of his existing deal.

It's worth keeping in mind that he may also decide that the Wild are not a good fit and a huge deal from a club like SKA is more to his liking.

All those players have all had experience playing the In the NHL Kaprizov hasn't

You mentioned the Wild buying out his contract. They wouldn't have to also aren't olympics before the season is over? So he could still play in the olympics if he made it and sign a deal with Wild after his KHL season is over.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
All those players have all had experience playing the In the NHL Kaprizov hasn't

You mentioned the Wild buying out his contract. They wouldn't have to also aren't olympics before the season is over? So he could still play in the olympics if he made it and sign a deal with Wild after his KHL season is over.

No, I mentioned Kaprizov buying out his own contract. I don't think the Wild would be allowed to do it. I brought up the Olympics only because of what you repeat: he might want to play in them. Therefore he wouldn't buy himself out a year early. And then he could feel free to sign wherever he wanted: but that could be with Minnesota or it could be in Russia. I'm sure we all hope for the former.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He looks small (similar to Granlund's build, IMO) but looks to be built more solid. Kinda reminds me of Tarasenko's body type.

As you can see on the first goal (assist by Kaprizov) in that video, he doesn't shy away from contact, which is a good sign. Looks like he can leverage his size against larger players to protect the puck against the boards as well.

Like you said, it will be interesting to see how he transitions. I don't see any red flags as to whether his game will or won't transition over to North American ice, but I think the question remains as to how effective he'll be. Hoping he doesn't end up being Magnus Paajarvi 2.0.

To be fair to Kaprizov here, Paajarvi was brought over earlier than Kaprizov, so we never got to see if he was going to be a truly great scorer in the SEL or if he was going to plateau. He was an alright one already, but the Oilers brought him over when he was 19. Kaprizov has had that year now, and he thrived during it.

That said, the NHL is a different beast entirely. For those saying Peter is comparing Kaprizov to Taffe, you're sort of missing his point. Lots of players produce on every level up until the NHL, some of them even historically well, but then aren't the impact player in the NHL some thought they would be. I don't think that'll be the case with Kaprizov, but I'm not going to claim that I know either way.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I know. The point is that Jeff Taffe hasn't been an NHL-calibre player for a few seasons now, but he is one of the better players in the KHL. Same with dudes like Chris Lee, Nigel Dawes, Brandon Kozun, Linus Omark. The KHL is a considerable step below the NHL.

Taffe scored 26 points in 56 games a year before in the KHL... There are so many factors in what makes players successful or not in the NHL. Don't forget about Giordano, who was nothing special before he went to the KHL. And then he came back and became 1D. Some people started to consider Hedman a bust, and then he went to the KHL during the lockout and came back as a different player. The same can be said about Zuccarello.

And look at Lehtera, he's degraded in the NHL comparing to what he was, when he just moved to NA from the KHL.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Kaprizov tallied another assist tonight in Russia's B team 5-3 win over Slovenia. Brings his totals to 2g, 3a in 2GP w/ Russia's B Team.

Brings his point totals to 14g, 7a in 12 games played with Russia's national team this year.

Includes the Sweden Hockey Games, U20 World Championships, and WORLD: Friendly Internationals.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So he's on the WHC preliminary roster. I think he'll play on the line with Tkachev and Mozyakin. Actually, it looks like a pretty good line. Tkachev is ok on the point and defensively responsible, and Mozyakin is Mozyakin. It'd be an interesting 3rd line.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
So he's on the WHC preliminary roster. I think he'll play on the line with Tkachev and Mozyakin. Actually, it looks like a pretty good line. Tkachev is ok on the point and defensively responsible, and Mozyakin is Mozyakin. It'd be an interesting 3rd line.

Just saw that get announced. First game is May 5th!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah, curious how this affects him... Is CSKA Moscow better than Salavat Yulaev Ufa?

Moscow was the 1 seed in the KHL Playoffs: 137 standings points compared with Salavat's 88 standings points. Moscow is also a bigger stage than Ufa. 13m (17m within the urban area) people compared to Ufa's 1m people.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The way that tweet reads, it sounds like the owner of CSKA bought the Ufa team from the owner of Ufa (or just bribed him?) in order to move Kaprizov for a nominal amount of cash in trade. Not sure if that's how it went down, or if something's just lost in the translation from Russian to English.

CSKA is like the Capitals, it wins the regulars (the last two, at least), but loses the cups.

Actually, given the size and money they have available, they sound like the late 90's to early 2000's NY Rangers. Buy everyone, win nothing.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Huh, the KHL sounds... Interesting. Imagine that happening in the NHL?

Rangers parent company buys Arizona's parent company... OEL gets "traded" to NYR for cash. I'd be chapped.

I guess that incentivizes certain players to play in the NHL where shenanigans like that don't happen.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
CSKA Moscow has a lot more $$$ to throw at him in a new contract,I hope that does not happen and he comes to the Wild ASAP.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
CSKA Moscow has a lot more $$$ to throw at him in a new contract,I hope that does not happen and he comes to the Wild ASAP.

I think he wants to play in the NHL. At least it's what he was saying all the time. And considering there is no word about a new contract, he just doesn't care, where he'll play the next season. Or even he entertains the idea to play for CSKA more, than for Salavat. Afterall, Ufa isn't his native team as well and bought him the same way last year from Novokuznetsk.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

He's been passed around the KHL so much already... I'd be more worried if he still played for his hometown team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad