Kiprusoff commits future to Stars

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
Miika Kipprusoff lands huge contract extension
Associated Press
9/26/2006 9:36:00 AM

DALLAS, Texas. (AP) - The Dallas Stars have locked up netminder Miikka Kiprusoff to a lucractive 4 year contract extension which will mean he will not become a UFA and possibly end his career in a Stars Jersey.

Late last night Laurens Thie and Reggie Swingstein pun pen to paper on a new contract for goalie Miikka Kiprusoff which will see the goalie stay in Dallas for the next four years making around 5.5 million a season.

"He's one of the best damned goalies on the planet right now, and we need him to be one of the cornerstones for this team to make the playoffs this year", said Thie, General Manager of the Dallas Stars. "Miikka was slated to make 675 thousand this year but he would have become an Unrestricted Free Agent after this season and I couldn't risk that. I offered him two packages one that would start next year or the one which he accepted which is for less money but started immediately."

"I was hoping that the team would open up negociations for a contract extension before the season began because the off season moves that Thie has made this year has me quite excited about the future of this club. He's also drafted some great players that will help turn us into a Stanley Cup contender in a few years and all I want to do to win a cup, and that means staying in Dallas is one of my better options", stated Kiprusoff.

With the re-signing of Yashin, Horcoff and the addition of Saku Koivu down the middle, the Dallas Stars might just well have the best collection of centermen in the league at this point. They have also re-tooled their defence substancially to have some more size and grit back there as well as some more experience.

Look for rookies like Upshall, Miko Koivu and potential star Zach Parise to jump right onto the top two lines to hopefully make the Stars one of the most improved teams for the 2006-2007 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad