Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brampton will go with both goalies, at least until the deadline. At that point, they may look to move one.

The other point that you fail to mention is that Brampton is going to have a lot of scouts at the games. with the lineup they have as well as being the top team in the OHL possibly. Therefore, as a player who is looking to get drafted, it is definitely a place they want to be.

Misa, as a 2nd-round pick and 5'10, is not likely to make the NHL, but playing in Brampton will gain a lot of experience and also bring in money and fans to the game. I do not see him being traded if they are going to be making a run.

As to Missa's play this year, he is ahead of his totals last year, so I am not sure about the issue.

We are talking about the exceptional status player, on Saginaw…. Ding ding! You know. The 16 year old at a point per game and on pace to score 30…. That guy…

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
In the interview with the steelheads‘ owner after the announcement to move, ‘all-in’ did not at all seem to be in the plans. He spoke of the team being built by Richmond to be at or near the top for three seasons.

Good for them not saying they’re going all in yet. Lots of hockey to be played. Smart move on them- doesn’t give false hope for the fans. And lots of things can change obviously too

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Brampton will go with both goalies, at least until the deadline. At that point, they may look to move one.

The other point that you fail to mention is that Brampton is going to have a lot of scouts at the games. with the lineup they have as well as being the top team in the OHL possibly. Therefore, as a player who is looking to get drafted, it is definitely a place they want to be.

Misa, as a 2nd-round pick and 5'10, is not likely to make the NHL, but playing in Brampton will gain a lot of experience and also bring in money and fans to the game. I do not see him being traded if they are going to be making a run.

As to Missa's play this year, he is ahead of his totals last year, so I am not sure about the issue.
Are you getting the 2 Misa brothers mixed up? Michael- the younger one is a projected top 5 pick right now for next years draft(2025) same with martone. The older one- Luke is a projected 2nd round pick for this years draft (2024)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
We are talking about the exceptional status player, on Saginaw…. Ding ding! You know. The 16 year old at a point per game and on pace to score 30…. That guy…
And you think that he might be traded before the deadline. Not a chance, and when and if he is, it will be to whoever is making the push. Possibly Brampton but then again you never know about the west

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
And you think that he might be traded before the deadline. Not a chance, and when and if he is, it will be to whoever is making the push. Possibly Brampton but then again you never know about the west

You need to follow along. My prediction was that he would be traded to the Steelheads. The Steelheads have the most suitable assets to acquire and his brother is there. This is why I felt the Steelheads were the most likely team in the Eastern Conference to push their way to the lead with a gap Next season. This is the whole point of the conversation on this thread. Kingston, although they should be decent next year, likely won’t have the assets to be competitive witht he likes of the Steelheads and Bulldogs. Again, the reason why trading Ludwinski was a must if they wanted next year to be a contender year. That is the whole point of this conversation.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So they are like the 67s. Not trying to win a championship. Only trying to be consistently good at the expense of never truly winning.

If that holds true, expect them to add two OA’s and call it a day. Let the chips fall where they may. Let’s hope for their sake that one or both of the goalies don’t get pissed off sitting too much.
Perhaps a mixed model of Ottawa, NB, others; and very confident his coach/GM has most of the pieces in place. Richmond is mostly reserved, but he does have surplus and probably does eventually trade a goalie for more.
I just got the impression that the belief is the steelheads do not have to go truly ‘all-in’ one season, then be in a position to have to recoup assets.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am not sure you have an issue with my brain. As you can see, it was YOU that said getting the two best OA D. Nowhere did you mention getting a Euro D.

I would also suggest that with the one pick you have that Cooper will look for a goalie who can either assist or replace Vaccari as a starter.
I believe I did infer that the need for two OA D pre-season would depend on the import draft. I don’t believe an immediate difference making goalie will be available after pick 20, so drafting an import goalie for a team that intends to contend does not seem to be an option to me.
Put aside that the team plays in Kingston for a moment to consider there will be 8-10 players in camp in their age 19 season. Of those, 3 were first round selections and 4 more selected in rounds 2-4, and another a high import pick. That team is committed to contention in 2024-25 whether you want to believe it or not.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Perhaps a mixed model of Ottawa, NB, others; and very confident his coach/GM has most of the pieces in place. Richmond is mostly reserved, but he does have surplus and probably does eventually trade a goalie for more.
I just got the impression that the belief is the steelheads do not have to go truly ‘all-in’ one season, then be in a position to have to recoup assets.

Mississauga currently has the following premium picks available entering next season assuming there are no trades involving draft picks leading into the draft this year:

2nds - 8 (4 in 2024)
3rds - 4
4ths - 5
5ths - 5

Other tradable assets:
Leenders or Ivankovic
Witkowski
Dragusica
2024 1st round pick

They have two open OA spots (assuming they keep Leskovar). They also have an open Import slot.

IMO, they need two D-Men and two wingers. They can fill three of those slots with OA’s and an Import. That means they only need to trade for one key winger.

They would likely trade for an OA D-Man early. The cost of an early OA is a 2nd and a 3rd using the Jack Beck deal as a comparable. Then one at the deadline which is likely around a 2x 2nd, 3rd, 4th for the top OA’s.

Assuming they draft a good Import and don’t need to trade for one, they would part with a total of:

3x 2nds
2x 3rds
1x 4th

That still leaves them a ton of picks. I don’t think Mississauga will go all in from the perspective of what they have on hand and deal it all away. I do feel they will make a strong push and move their 2024 1st and one of the two goalies plus a handful of additional picks.

Assuming Michael Misa does not make the NHL as an 18 year old, and MArtone doesn’t make the NHL early as a 19 year old, they would have them the following year with a strong returning team and enough picks to make that same run again. If neither of those guys return, they won’t likely have a contender team anyway.

Reactions: Steel Fishbowl

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mississauga currently has the following premium picks available entering next season assuming there are no trades involving draft picks leading into the draft this year:

2nds - 8 (4 in 2024)
3rds - 4
4ths - 5
5ths - 5

Other tradable assets:
Leenders or Ivankovic
Witkowski
Dragusica
2024 1st round pick

They have two open OA spots (assuming they keep Leskovar). They also have an open Import slot.

IMO, they need two D-Men and two wingers. They can fill three of those slots with OA’s and an Import. That means they only need to trade for one key winger.

They would likely trade for an OA D-Man early. The cost of an early OA is a 2nd and a 3rd using the Jack Beck deal as a comparable. Then one at the deadline which is likely around a 2x 2nd, 3rd, 4th for the top OA’s.

Assuming they draft a good Import and don’t need to trade for one, they would part with a total of:

3x 2nds
2x 3rds
1x 4th

That still leaves them a ton of picks. I don’t think Mississauga will go all in from the perspective of what they have on hand and deal it all away. I do feel they will make a strong push and move their 2024 1st and one of the two goalies plus a handful of additional picks.

Assuming Michael Misa does not make the NHL as an 18 year old, and MArtone doesn’t make the NHL early as a 19 year old, they would have them the following year with a strong returning team and enough picks to make that same run again. If neither of those guys return, they won’t likely have a contender team anyway.
Richmond like Boyd, Dennis, Hunter, Oake, Williamson is a bit predictable. I doubt there is room on his team for two more defensemen; OA, rental 19 yr old, import, rookie combined. I’m guessing Harding, Von Richter, Spencer, Fibigr, Leskovar(probably) are fixtures; and Dragusica will be brought along slowly much like Harding and Spencer. That leaves Richmond to determine if Gee fits in his top six.

I think M.Misa as a Steelheads player becomes more realistic if L.Misa returns for an OA season

Last edited:

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Richmond like Boyd, Dennis, Hunter, Oake, Williamson is a bit predictable. I doubt there is room on his team for two more defensemen; OA, rental 19 yr old, import, rookie combined. I’m guessing Harding, Von Richter, Spencer, Fibigr, Leskovar(probably) are fixtures; and Dragusica will be brought along slowly much like Harding and Spencer. That leaves Richmond to determine if Gee fits in his top six.

I think M.Misa as a Steelheads player becomes more realistic if L.Misa returns for an OA season
Not that this isn't an interesting topic, but can we perhaps stick to focusing on Kingston crap on here---this whole Steelheads etc... banter has gone on far too long.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Just checked the updated pick base. Holy f kingston really screwed themselves, I knew it was bad but I didn’t know it was that bad. Next year I think they trade miedema and burns for picks and load up for 2026- that’s my early prediction here. Ridiculous.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Just checked the updated pick base. Holy f kingston really screwed themselves, I knew it was bad but I didn’t know it was that bad. Next year I think they trade miedema and burns for picks and load up for 2026- that’s my early prediction here. Ridiculous.
Relative to Mississauga and Brantford yeah they're way behind the eight ball picks wise, no doubt - but they have too many '05s for next year to be a wash. Including Vaccari they have 10 '05s - and it's not like they're fringe roster guys, most of those guys should be contributing OHL players.

Up front you've got Miedema, Soto, Thibodeau, McNamara and what I'll call a fringe guy in Cavallin.

On the back end you've got 4 D - Burns, Chromiak, McGowan and Uens.

Then in net you have Vaccari - although that ship is sailing for him to be a goalie on a top team.

In my eyes a contending team needs to be built around 19 year olds, with solid contributions from 18 year olds - if they push to 25-26, as it currently stands they only have three '06s - Frasca, Battaglia and Williamson (I'm not gonna bother including Salajko here). Although Hopkins projects to be one of the better 18 year olds - I don't think there's enough as it currently stands for them to be competitive. I know a TON can change but with the current roster make-up pushing any kind of run another year back does them no good.

Reactions: dirty12

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Not that this isn't an interesting topic, but can we perhaps stick to focusing on Kingston crap on here---this whole Steelheads etc... banter has gone on far too long.
Thank you!!! You guys can speculate all you want. Fact remains that we have a fairly new GM and an owner who is quite content to go along as we have for the past 15 years. All we can hope is Vaccari steals some games and we score a few goals.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It is perspective for Kingston next year. It goes hand in hand. You can;t talk about Kingston as a contender next year without focusing on the competition and what they can and cannot do. Kingston would need to match. PArt of the process.

Relative to Mississauga and Brantford yeah they're way behind the eight ball picks wise, no doubt - but they have too many '05s for next year to be a wash. Including Vaccari they have 10 '05s - and it's not like they're fringe roster guys, most of those guys should be contributing OHL players.

Up front you've got Miedema, Soto, Thibodeau, McNamara and what I'll call a fringe guy in Cavallin.

On the back end you've got 4 D - Burns, Chromiak, McGowan and Uens.

Then in net you have Vaccari - although that ship is sailing for him to be a goalie on a top team.

In my eyes a contending team needs to be built around 19 year olds, with solid contributions from 18 year olds - if they push to 25-26, as it currently stands they only have three '06s - Frasca, Battaglia and Williamson (I'm not gonna bother including Salajko here). Although Hopkins projects to be one of the better 18 year olds - I don't think there's enough as it currently stands for them to be competitive. I know a TON can change but with the current roster make-up pushing any kind of run another year back does them no good.

All the more reason to have traded Ludwinski. And at the end of the day, I think that is the overall point being made. Focusing on the big picture league wide, with all the returning elder statesmen. Next year in Kingston, this year should have been sacrificed for the ability to push next year. Discussing next year’s competition highlights where Kingston may be deficient and the changes that would need to be made to contend.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
All the more reason to have traded Ludwinski. And at the end of the day, I think that is the overall point being made. Focusing on the big picture league wide, with all the returning elder statesmen. Next year in Kingston, this year should have been sacrificed for the ability to push next year. Discussing next year’s competition highlights where Kingston may be deficient and the changes that would need to be made to contend.
Yeah I was on the fence at the beginning of the year but as we got to the deadline with where they were I was fully on the trade Ludwinski train - but at this point there's not much can be done.

Tons can change but next year I expect them to be contending with Oshawa and Ottawa for 2nd in the East (assuming Brantford buys as expected), with Peterborough last still being very young.

Reactions: frontsfan67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad