Kings terminating Mike Richards contract for material breach [upd: grievance filed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I would agree. Teams have suspended players for showing up out of shape, and then they go off and exercise, and report back, get reinstated.

Richards has not been suspended, but more interestingly, this is the off-season, so it's not like they can say he showed up to camp out of shape. If it had happened during the season, why no suspension? They certainly needed the cap relief at that time.

I personally have to think it would need to be a fairly egregious violation, and not easily remedied since he has 5 (?) yrs remaining on his contract. Something that is a temporary issue surely can't warrant the termination, sans suspension anywhere along the way, of the entire term.

Yeah, I'm on the same train of thought.

If Richards didn't meet fitness guidelines at camp, or whenever, then the correct procedure was to warn him in writing, suspend him, and such. However, legally, I don't think you can take a whole year to instate a punishment, and there's no fitness testing at the end of the year.

So back to the question... what could it possibly be?

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
There's been rumors about Richards. Maybe this is what this is about.

Friedman seems to have backpedalled on the fact that this could be training or fitness related.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
The strangeness is that unless Richards plead guilty, it should not be a criminal charge considering that Voyonov's contract has not been terminated while the case is still pending (of course LA could take the risk if the case would seem more solid than Voyonov's but that would still be quite strange).

Considering Richards' history, something related to substance abuse/League drug policy would seem most likely, but how such a matter could escalate so quickly that it would constitute a material breach without any prior rumblings.

LaCarriere

Since the Kings didn't really say how he committed a material breach I think it's fair to say it's going to immediately be grieved by the PA. Just like any suspension (or any union for that matter) they are basically required to stand up for their members.

Should be interesting. Could just be a desperate attempt to get the money off the books instead of going to the compliance buyout route.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The strangeness is that unless Richards plead guilty, it should not be a criminal charge considering that Voyonov's contract has not been terminated while the case is still pending (of course LA could take the risk if the case would seem more solid than Voyonov's but that would still be quite strange).

Considering Richards' history, something related to substance abuse/League drug policy would seem most likely, but how such a matter could escalate so quickly that it would constitute a material breach without any prior rumblings.

To me, that's the strangest part.

There's plenty of things I can think of that may lead to a situation like this (which I'll save enumerating for libel concerns), however all of them would seem to have some leadup. As far as I've heard/seen there weren't rumors leading up to this. Most though he was placed on waivers for a normal course buyout.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Since the Kings didn't really say how he committed a material breach I think it's fair to say it's going to immediately be grieved by the PA. Just like any suspension (or any union for that matter) they are basically required to stand up for their members.

Should be interesting. Could just be a desperate attempt to get the money off the books instead of going to the compliance buyout route.

They didn't say because it's not really their place to say. If a grievance is filed, and can't think it won't be, unless when presented with what the team has they tell him to let it go. We then might find out what exactly is being accused. Remember he's a public figure but this is still a workplace issue, making it a private mater really.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Evil's advocate -- it could be that the material breach is so damning (and/or embarrassing) that Richards will not pursue grievance as that reason would come out.

(I read way to many mystery stories and have a vivid imagination.)

I would imagine Richards has been informed exactly what the issue is. And termination = not able to get back into compliance.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
And just something to think about. Lawyers make mistakes but usually know if they have a leg to stand on when they might be facing a court case for something they choose to do. Doesn't mean they will win but they feel they have a case.

or they know the NHL has their back.

They could have been told go for it. If they lose arbitration, sucks for them but Bettman won't penalize.

Joke all around though.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Pierre McGuire and Mitch Melnyk talked around it on TSN690, it sounds like it's something to do with a border crossing. No one is talking until the details come out but it sounds like info is spreading.

Koto

May 3, 2011
The Kings would have to buy him out. The next question is if they could still have a buy out if this has to go to arbitration before resolution. Buyouts can only happen during a brief window (right now). If his contract and status are in question, he can't hit the UFA market.

If they buy him out, they get hit with the buyout hit (10 yrs, 2/3rds remaining amount). If they do not buy him out and the termination is nixed, they're stuck with his full cap hit.

Friedman just said on SN radio that the contract is already void and he is a FA and can sign, if this is overturned they would essentially have to retroactively buy him out.

Although i suppose if he wins and doesn't sign anywhere else, he could argue for the full contract...at least for one more year.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Friedman just said on SN radio that the contract is already void and he is a FA and can sign, if this is overturned they would essentially have to retroactively buy him out.

Although i suppose if he wins and doesn't sign anywhere else, he could argue for the full contract...at least for one more year.

The NHL would have to violate the CBA to let them retroactively buy him out.

if he wins, he will be a LA King. I suspect he won't sign anywhere until this is over anyways.. mostly because other teams won't want to get involved.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

I was speaking to the hypothetical, but yes, to clarify, the Kings announcement said that they had terminated the contract, as in done deal. That would mean that he's a free agent right now.

Nothing out of the PA yet.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Pierre McGuire and Mitch Melnyk talked around it on TSN690, it sounds like it's something to do with a border crossing. No one is talking until the details come out but it sounds like info is spreading.

Mentioned it in the trade boards thread as well, but this seems the most plausible story so far. If whatever incident occurred at the border resulted in him being denied entry, it could certainly result in a material breach of contract. If he's either unable or suffers delays when crossing the border into Canada or the US, it would make playing in a subset of NHL arenas difficult/impossible.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Mentioned it in the trade boards thread as well, but this seems the most plausible story so far. If whatever incident occurred at the border resulted in him being denied entry, it could certainly result in a material breach of contract. If he's either unable or suffers delays when crossing the border into Canada or the US, it would make playing in a subset of NHL arenas difficult/impossible.

Did he miss any games in the NHL/AHL? I'd imagine we would've heard about that by now.

He's a Canadian citizen. Canada isn't going to not let him in.

Is the US not letting him in? Hard to imagine that something like that happened so fast given he's been in the US as recently as a few weeks ago.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Did he miss any games in the NHL/AHL? I'd imagine we would've heard about that by now.

He's a Canadian citizen. Canada isn't going to not let him in.

Is the US not letting him in? Hard to imagine that something like that happened so fast given he's been in the US as recently as a few weeks ago.

We don't know when this event did or did not occur. It could have been recently.

As I mentioned to you in the other thread, being stopped at the border isn't automatically permanent. However, after you've been denied entry once, it becomes significantly more challenging to gain admittance on further attempts. You're required much more documentation, and you're basically at the mercy of the border agent. While regular people can try again the next day, that's not a feasible option for a player that needs to make a game on a specific date.

Granted, having an NHL job would probably make it much easier to cross the border. Teams would likely be able to iron this out much easier than individuals.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Right, but are possible problems in the future grounds for a material breach?

Hard to imagine that it would be considered a material breach before it actually happens, but I'm no lawyer.

LaCarriere

We don't know when this event did or did not occur. It could have been recently.

As I mentioned to you in the other thread, being stopped at the border isn't automatically permanent. However, after you've been denied entry once, it becomes significantly more challenging to gain admittance on further attempts. You're required much more documentation, and you're basically at the mercy of the border agent. While regular people can try again the next day, that's not a feasible option for a player that needs to make a game on a specific date.

Granted, having an NHL job would probably make it much easier to cross the border. Teams would likely be able to iron this out much easier than individuals.

I would think that would be the case. If he was recently denied entry for something that turned out to be a non-issue I would think that this is something between him, the Kings and the border agencies could be sorted out in time to prevent future delays, due to the nature of his employment (especially if he's been in both countries recently without previous issues at the border).

If it's something that's going to prevent future access into the US that could be different -- I just think there's a lot of time to clear up any potential border issues before the season unless he was trying to smuggle bricks of cocaine into the US or something (which we would have heard about anyway).

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Seems like the 15 year, frontloaded deals that brought cap numbers down....if the first time is allowed to stand, everyone will copy it until it comes to a crisis point. Kings so conveniently are able to resign Sekera now.

People will be quick to criticize Richards, I'm sure he has probably misbehaved in ways LA considers 'grounds'. But from where I'm sitting, he is not in prison, so I can't think of another scenario others teams in the NHL haven't had to find legitimate ways of working around. Substance abuse? Bad attitude? Out of Shape? All of the above? It has happened before and will happen again. If the NHLPA doesn't fight this tooth and nail, Pandora's Box is opened and NHL contracts became like NFL contracts: worth the paper they are printed on.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...ngeles-kings-terminate-contract-mike-richards

Apparently, Kings were made aware of situation on Friday and terminated discussions they were having about trading him.

Off ice incident.

According to a source, the Kings did inform the league about their intent to terminate Richards' contract, even before putting him on unconditional waivers Sunday. The NHL Players' Association has a right to file a grievance for Richards and is in the process of gathering information before deciding whether to take that route.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...ngeles-kings-terminate-contract-mike-richards

Apparently, Kings were made aware of situation on Friday and terminated discussions they were having about trading him.

Off ice incident.

Great article. Worth the read. Of note:

The team was already in the process of trying to trade him -- discussions were in place with both the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames -- but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi immediately informed both teams upon learning about the situation that he had no prior knowledge of the incident and halted those talks, according to a source.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If DL carried through with a trade once he was made aware of a material breach of contract, the team he was traded to could certainly have filed a grievance against the Kings.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Now how long until a credible source is willing to say what happened?
But very good read and shows that unlike what has been accused DL is a stand-up guy. Cutting off all talks about trading him once it came to light.

I don't think this is grounds to say DL is nefarious anyways..

but that article doesn't mean he's clean in this matter.

Maybe those teams were going to be getting something of value from the Kings for taking Richards? Once he heard of this possible mechanism, he decided to screw giving away assets and go for broke?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
You see - this is what happens when a player hires Craig Tindall as an agent. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad