Confirmed with Link: Kings signing Cammalleri to 1/yr deal, 1m + bonuses

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kings still have 6.5 million in cap space, I refuse to believe Blake is going to enter next season only adding 10 goals to a non playoff team in drastic need of goals. Lucic still needs to be replaced, Purcell wasn't that guy and Cammy is not that guy. If you don't give Kopitar competent first line wingers he will struggle to put up points again this season.

They're probably going to spend another $2.5m, maybe pushing $3m, on the RFA's that have a chance to make the team. Most of the time, teams try not to spend right to the cap to start the year. That's maybe $4m left, with at least a $1m cushion. People have wanted the young guys to get a chance. Infuse some youthful energy into a moribund roster. What are you doing for probably at most $3m, give or take? As far as we know, Gaborik is coming back at some point, so can't just throw his LTIR cap space around willy nilly either.

- Cubs fan circa 1909 - 2015

The vast majority of fans of every team in every league that exists circa forever.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
again, expectations commensurate with salary--we got a guy who is always on pace for 25-30 goals for a million.

If he pots 15 as RP says, and plays 60 games, that's amazing value. and that would be far under his career averages. Check out how he usually does in contract years, too ;)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
It's not a matter of him scoring goals, it's a matter of him staying healthy.

Michael Cammalleri hasn't played a full season since 2009. He hasn't even played 70+ games since 2009. In the ten years he has been gone, he's played 60+ games in six of of those ten seasons.

This is an extremely injury prone player. The Pacific is a rough division. If he plays anymore than 50 games, I will be shocked.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's not a matter of him scoring goals, it's a matter of him staying healthy.

Michael Cammalleri hasn't played a full season since 2009. He hasn't even played 70+ games since 2009. In the ten years he has been gone, he's played 60+ games in six of of those ten seasons.

This is an extremely injury prone player. The Pacific is a rough division. If he plays anymore than 50 games, I will be shocked.

It's a good thing he is only signed for $1 million

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
again, expectations commensurate with salary--we got a guy who is always on pace for 25-30 goals for a million.

If he pots 15 as RP says, and plays 60 games, that's amazing value. and that would be far under his career averages. Check out how he usually does in contract years, too ;)

The value is fine, it's just not the piece the Kings need if Robitaille and Blake are trying to sell people on the idea this team is a contender.

I think we should be checking out what Cammalleri has done in 5 of the last 7 seasons. It's much closer to what we are likely to see. Last year he played 61 games and had 10 goals. If he isn't on Kopitar's wing, which he shouldn't be, how does he do significantly better?

He is a filler, a place holder, nothing more.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I still want Markov even though I know it will never happen.

He'd help the PP immensely, and he can lead breakouts. Wouldn't hurt to have another top 4 dman capable of logging 20+ minutes, and I do believe he prefers playing on his off-side so he can play RD as a lefty.

Problem is, he wants a lot of cash and some term (rumored to be seeking 3-years at $6M).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He'd help the PP immensely, and he can lead breakouts. Wouldn't hurt to have another top 4 dman capable of logging 20+ minutes, and I do believe he prefers playing on his off-side so he can play RD as a lefty.

Problem is, he wants a lot of cash and some term (rumored to be seeking 3-years at $6M).

Yes. He would also give us the flexibility to move Martinez for a forward if the opportunity arises.

I thought he wanted 2 years.

His asking price may just be a bargaining tactic.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The value is fine, it's just not the piece the Kings need if Robitaille and Blake are trying to sell people on the idea this team is a contender.

I think we should be checking out what Cammalleri has done in 5 of the last 7 seasons. It's much closer to what we are likely to see. Last year he played 61 games and had 10 goals. If he isn't on Kopitar's wing, which he shouldn't be, how does he do significantly better?

He is a filler, a place holder, nothing more.

I don't disagree. He's not a savior.

In the last 7 seasons, he's scored at a 25 goal, 55 point pace. If I told people they could sign that guy for one million without attaching his name, I think they'd be stoked. Now of course temper expectations because as pointed out he's averaged 59 games a season in that span, but still ridiculous value if you don't anoint him the franchise savior. Unless you judge him only on his last season, which I know some do around here, so your mileage may vary--I guess I just don't hate this signing as much as some do because like you point out he's just a seat warmer (for whom? is the bigger question and long-term problem) and Blake has his hands pretty well tied.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Even last year with his daughter's health problems he still managed to score at a 40 point pace.

Each time Cammalleri has moved to a new location he's always done really well:

CLG 08/09: 81gp 39g 43a
MTL 09/10: 65gp 26g 24a (33g pace)
CLG 11/12: 28gp 11g 8a (32g pace)
NJD 14/15: 68gp 27g 15a (33g pace)

Considering this, and the fact that he has everything to play for this season (contract year, bonuses, NHL career could be over if he doesn't perform well) I don't think the idea of him being productive is far fetched at all. It's just a matter of him staying healthy.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Based on?

A lot of people ready to pack it in on the season and blow it all up. Some believe we'll be fine if we continue to do nothing. The answer lies somewhere in the middle, doesn't have to be one complete extreme to the other.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
A lot of people ready to pack it in on the season and blow it all up. Some believe we'll be fine if we continue to do nothing. The answer lies somewhere in the middle, doesn't have to be one complete extreme to the other.

Given the resources available, what kind of moves do you think Blake can make to have the team contend this coming season, or even next season?

Do you think this team will contend for a Stanley Cup within the next few years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad