Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Mikey Anderson to his 3 year ELC

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I’m gonna call it now, he will play opening night.
I want to say no....
But this kid is already NHL ready defensively and even though he’s barely 6ft tall, he’s a very, very solid 200lbs maybe more. Would love to see him and Amart paired to start the season to get that Vet guidance before we start shipping guys off...

So again, I want to say he won’t be there opening night but he’s just the complete package and he oozes leadership to boot... so I’ll say I wouldn’t be surprised if he did...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Mayor's Manor mid-season prospect ranking. #5 Mikey Anderson. Great job by Mayor and staff.
Posted Feb 12 2019.

LA Kings 2019 Midseason Prospect Rankings: Nos. 5 and 6

5. MIKEY ANDERSON: Defenseman, University of Minnesota-Duluth (4th round pick in 2017, USHL)
If it’s flash and sizzle you’re looking for, Anderson is not the player for you. However, if you respect and appreciate a complete, well-rounded player, pay close attention as things could move quickly over the next 60 days. This Minnesota native is likely turning pro in April and there’s even a slim chance he could sneak into a game with the Ontario Reign before this season wraps up.
First, though, Anderson and his UMD teammates will be looking to successfully defend their 2018 National Championship. After being ranked in the top-5 for several months, their final matchup of the regular season will be huge; when they visit No. 1 ranked St. Cloud State. That two-game series will take place March 8 and 9, with the opening contest getting nationally TV coverage.
We had Anderson listed at No. 10 last year and many people found that a bit surprising. Nobody is sleeping on him now, though. As the recent World Junior tournament went along in Vancouver, Anderson – who served as captain for Team USA – played in all situations and was a big part of his squad’s silver medal run. Kings officials, and other NHL scouts on hand for the tournament, continually raved about his performance when we often caught up with them in-between games to compare notes.

As one executive noted to us shortly after we returned to Los Angeles, “Mikey’s stock has definitely shot up. We need some of that young leadership. We were thoroughly impressed with his poise and how he was held accountable to lead that team.”
That same executive repeated what we said several times throughout the WJC, Anderson was arguably the best player on Team USA because he was the most complete. He played the most minutes and he played in all situations. Further, he was able to consistently elevate his game in key moments.
A different member of the Kings management team built upon those thoughts when speaking with us more recently, adding, “When you’re captain of a team, that’s a big, big difference compared to when you’re not captain. That’s a huge deal. You can hide if you don’t have a letter. You can even kinda hide with an A. Not if you’re the captain.”

Turning our attention to the present, Anderson hasn’t missed a beat since returning to school following the WJC. He plays a quiet game, but he gets a lot done. If you were to count the number of defensemen in college hockey who might be better than him right now, you’d only need one hand and you’d likely have fingers left over. Or, as one college hockey scout said to us, perhaps using the fewest words to neatly and succinctly get his point across, “[Anderson] stands out on a very good UMD defensive corps.”
Just 19 years old and a second-year college player, Anderson has been UMD’s most consistent defenseman thus far this season. He plays top minutes, seeing time on both special teams units. From the start of the season forward, his game has been incredibly consistent, in regards to his game both with and without the puck. His puck movement, both from breakout and in transition, is a defining quality in his game. Anderson makes quick plays up ice in both areas. Although his offensive numbers are down slightly from a season ago (the goals are there, but the assists are off), the team lost a lot of scoring from that group. His offensive game is solid, in particular on the power play.
When you think about the Kings next season and beyond, Anderson’s strengths will compliment the team’s direction. His ability to quickly and effectively move pucks up ice remains a key strength, and one the Kings covet among their prospects. The organization loves the fact is very driven and competitive. He accepts any role and is willing to pay the price to make the little plays that don’t end up on score sheet. The USA coaching staff made it a point to mention how impressed they were with his play and more so his demeanor as a leader.

Look for a continued change in his physical development over the summer. We’ve already seen a noticeable difference since Development Camp last July. Strength and conditioning will be a big offseason commitment for him, but he seems very driven in that aspect. One would be a fool to dare question Anderson’s willingness to attack his off-ice training, which will only help accelerate his development towards being an NHL player down the road. We expect Anderson to wear a letter in Los Angeles before all is said and done.
As always, many thanks to the numerous hockey sources who contribute to this series. Their ongoing input regarding prospects continues to be invaluable throughout this process.

Mikey Anderson at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I want to say no....
But this kid is already NHL ready defensively and even though he’s barely 6ft tall, he’s a very, very solid 200lbs maybe more. Would love to see him and Amart paired to start the season to get that Vet guidance before we start shipping guys off...

So again, I want to say he won’t be there opening night but he’s just the complete package and he oozes leadership to boot... so I’ll say I wouldn’t be surprised if he did...

Why not? He captained Team USA and socred more points than both Jack Hughes and Quinn Hughes in the tournament.

USA U20 at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
giphy.gif

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
It won't exactly be a tough lineup to crack. If he deserves a look he'll get one.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don’t think they rush him... and if we suck again, then it be better for him in Ontario getting top pairing minutes under a coach that’s done well with defensemen

I would probably agree with this earlier in the decade, but in the last couple years I think the league as a whole has gotten away from seasoning guys in the minors. It was all the rage 10 years ago, but now with good players on ELC's being the equivalent of gold, lots of teams are trying to catch that bottled lighting with guys. I doubt the Kings will be any different.

Besides, if he's good, he's good. Sending him to Ontario will do little for him if he's ready. I'm on board with whatever the team decides about his development, but I wouldn't send him down just to shield him from a bad team.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I would probably agree with this earlier in the decade, but in the last couple years I think the league as a whole has gotten away from seasoning guys in the minors. It was all the rage 10 years ago, but now with good players on ELC's being the equivalent of gold, lots of teams are trying to catch that bottled lighting with guys. I doubt the Kings will be any different.

Besides, if he's good, he's good. Sending him to Ontario will do little for him if he's ready. I'm on board with whatever the team decides about his development, but I wouldn't send him down just to shield him from a bad team.

a losing culture can be really bad on a young player.. which is different than a rebuild where you don't have to deal with salty vets

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
a losing culture can be really bad on a young player.. which is different than a rebuild where you don't have to deal with salty vets

I get that, but being too careful with guys can screw them up as well. Look at Forbort. I also think they dicked around with Gravel too much, although he did have that illness.

All I'm saying is if the guy shows he can be part of the solution, make room for him. Move someone who isn't in the long term plan and recoup some assets. I'm not worried about a losing culture under McClellan at all.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
If he's one of the top 6 best defenders in camp next season, he should play in the top 6 at the NHL level. If he's not, then he should go to Ontario. And the Kings are not the Clippers of hockey anymore, folks. One horrendous season out of 10 does not equate to a culture of losing.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I get that, but being too careful with guys can screw them up as well. Look at Forbort. I also think they dicked around with Gravel too much, although he did have that illness.

All I'm saying is if the guy shows he can be part of the solution, make room for him. Move someone who isn't in the long term plan and recoup some assets. I'm not worried about a losing culture under McClellan at all.

I would say he could make the team because of how good his defense is... though I rather he get some time with CMS in Ontario...
With that said, if he was to be sheltered/helped by a Willie M type vet then I can see it... but we have to find and sign said ver.... Brayden Coburn??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad