Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Four Free Agents: Gilbert, Trotman, Zatkoff, Latta

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
So

Purcell-Kopitar-Gaborik
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Lewis-King
Clifford-Andreoff-Latta
Shore
Nolan on IR

Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Greene-Gilbert
Scuderi

Quick
Zatkoff

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
So

Purcell-Kopitar-Gaborik
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Brown-Lewis-King
Clifford-Andreoff-Latta
Shore
Nolan on IR

Doughty-McNabb
Muzzin-Martinez
Greene-Gilbert
Scuderi

Quick
Zatkoff

I think Gravel and Mersch will be in the NHL next year.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Is Trotman two way?

Gilbert is a lock. Gravel can still go to the AHL. Forbort will have to clear waivers.

Doughty-McNabb
Martinez-Muzzin
Gilbert-Forbort/Greene

Gilbert is coming off knee surgery and won't be healthy until August. That means he will be re-habbing rather than training and this has NEVER worked out well for the Kings. 33 years old and will not be able to train this summer, he will be playing catch up all season long.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I can't believe how quickly the wheels are falling off the bus. I knew there was little to no money for DL to make moves today, so I wasn't surprised at the outcome.

I had a hunch he would re-sign Zatkoff, so that wasn't a surprise to me. I think DL got a good pick up in getting Zatkoff back. Gilbert he tried to make a move for 2-3 years ago, so again not a big surprise.

I think these guys are insurance. If the kids can't do it out of camp, then they can turn to these guys. As someone posted earlier, these guys can be waived and sent down without fear of loss in the big scheme.

We are looking at the eventual outcome of bad trades and poor personnel decisions. Decisions that have cost the team picks and players for what has been short term gains - Sekera and Lucic are the prime examples.

I liked Lucic on the team and it was for the most part a natural fit, but at the same time last summer all of us knew the likelihood of DL being able to re-sign him was virtually impossible. Money was already tight a year ago and the Kopitar contract was on the horizon. In the long run this has turned out to be a disaster of a trade. Lucic cost the team a 1st, M Jones and C Miller. For what? 1 playoff win - a successful regular season?

Still want to know how DL missed out on Hamhuis. Yeah he's a LHD, but he's an upgrade on the 2nd pairing compared to what LA has or signed today. 2 years for $7.5M, LA had room for that contract.

The Brown "fiasco" is going to hang over the club for quite some time. The team handled this like **** and I'm glad Brownie didn't sugarcoat his feelings in the interview yesterday. Has his game slipped and am I like most others in being frustrated, hell yes. At the same time the org handled this and him horribly, he deserved better. Brown is gone in the expansion draft if not sooner. If sooner LA has to retain at least $2.5M.

this coming season may turn into a total **** show with the Brown fiasco hanging around. the D still has significant issues on paper and we truly won't know until we get 20 games into the season. the bottom six is still intact from last season, which isn't promising. we now have a hole yet again at the 1LW spot. Sutter remains which will likely stagnate development of the kids.

its going to be a long summer and a longer 2016-17 i feel

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I think Gravel and Mersch will be in the NHL next year.

If they trade/buy out Greene or stash Scuderi in the minors I could see it for Forbort or Gravel. I don't see how Mersch is up without moving a roster player. Call up for sure.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
If they trade/buy out Greene or stash Scuderi in the minors I could see it for Forbort or Gravel. I don't see how Mersch is up without moving a roster player. Call up for sure.

i will be surprised if Greene ever plays again. i think the past year and current situation is Dean 'jobbing' the system. Greene is done physically and the game has passed him by, he's now a huge liability on the ice

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Why not got after Schlemko if they needed a depth guy on D? He's better than Gilbert. Lombardi strikes me as out of touch, he's like 2-3 years behind on skill assessment of other players. Just look at the Scuderi and Gilbert deals.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Versteeg and Purcell are basically a wash, could have gone with either way. I think they wanted Purcell's passing ability over Versteeg's scoring touch.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why not got after Schlemko if they needed a depth guy on D? He's better than Gilbert. Lombardi strikes me as out of touch, he's like 2-3 years behind on skill assessment of other players. Just look at the Scuderi and Gilbert deals.

4 years is a lot for a bottom pairing guy. At least, that's what I've heard a lot arund here.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Versteeg and Purcell are basically a wash, could have gone with either way. I think they wanted Purcell's passing ability over Versteeg's scoring touch.

Watching him pass it to King, Lewis or Clifford only then having one, if not all 3 of them miss the net will be awesome to see for 82 games. :laugh:

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Two of the 4 guys signed I've never even heard of. And Purcell, really? Versteeg wasn't the better option?

Perhaps its a durability thing, Versteeg got injured playing here and has had a few short seasons, Purcell has played a full reg season most years.

https://www.nhl.com/player/kris-versteeg-8471346

https://www.nhl.com/player/teddy-purcell-8473962

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
After a full day of contemplating I'm still contemplating the Tom Gilbert signing.

There's gotta be a reason no one can fathom. The Kings always have specific players targeted, but Gilbert was out of left field. Either they see something no one else does, or he was just brought in to push the young guys so they earn their spots. A Shcultz replacement, so to speak.

I find it interesting that after this season, the Kings will have something like 14 RFAs and 6 UFAs on their 50 man. That's 40% of the Org. It's a big if, but if one of Gaborik/Brown does get taken in expansion, the Kings could have all kinds of flexibility when it comes to retooling the roster.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
I see Scuderi being the Schultz replacement, because he most likely spends time in Ontario (he'd ****ing better). Gilbert could also end up down there if his game has fallen off that far. I see him as a bottom pairing guy right now, paired with either Gravel or Forbort.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Insurance in case or for when Greene is out or moved. You know he won't be making it throughout the season without getting hurt, if he even does appear in a game.

We needed an insurance policy for our #6/7 defenseman? So we sign a 33 year old slow defenseman coming off a knee injury?

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Why are some people so eager to see Kempe struggle playing NHL top Defenders, He struggles enough playing AHL Defenders.

Agree. Watched him play all year. Unless he has an amazing camp he should be in the AHL and will need to prove consistent for a full year. It was way way too hit and miss almost all season. He needs to have a really good Mersch/Dowd esque year for Ontario this season. 40-50 points. He is capable of doing it no question, just needs to show it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
4 years is a lot for a bottom pairing guy. At least, that's what I've heard a lot arund here.

Not just 4 years, but also $8.4m. Maybe go $8.4m over 3 years, but that's $2.8m on the cap. 2 years, it's $4.2m on the cap. Have to either match or do better than $8.4m. Plus, he's a lefty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad