Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Kings absolutely need to draft a goalie this year, maybe as early as the 2nd round. There are no young goalies in the system, and 4 years from now Quick will not be so Quick anymore. They need a talented young guy in the system.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Maybe a look at Wagner might happen after all, Regina lost two straight in OT, the last one in the 3rd extra session. Whats with the Kings' WHL prospects ending up in marathon games? Reddekopp played a 5OT (CHL record), now Wagner with a 3OT.

On a side note, I wonder if Dawson Leedahl will get invited to any more camps. I think he went to an NHL rookie camp a few years ago, but ended up going undrafted. He's putting up good numbers this year, but on a fantastic team as an overager. He's got size, is tough, and seems to be developing a decent set of hands. Wouldn't mind seeing him get an invite to Ontario next year if he goes unsigned.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Maybe a look at Wagner might happen after all, Regina lost two straight in OT, the last one in the 3rd extra session. Whats with the Kings' WHL prospects ending up in marathon games? Reddekopp played a 5OT (CHL record), now Wagner with a 3OT.

On a side note, I wonder if Dawson Leedahl will get invited to any more camps. I think he went to an NHL rookie camp a few years ago, but ended up going undrafted. He's putting up good numbers this year, but on a fantastic team as an overager. He's got size, is tough, and seems to be developing a decent set of hands. Wouldn't mind seeing him get an invite to Ontario next year if he goes unsigned.

He'll catch on somewhere with those numbers I would think. I want Wagner to play as long as possible, at least until the Reign/Gulls series is over. I don't want Sam Steele coming up to the Gulls. Better player than Wagner. Come on Pats!

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Is 2nd leading scorer in the Czech League enough to be considered for a contract?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=Czech&season=2016

Crazy...and #1 in goals, with 29. Give Kubalik a shot. Is he under contract there still?
Look at who was #4 in scoring: Jaroslav Bednar...now 40 yrs old. Played for the Kings around 2000. lol. And,#10 in scoring, Thomas Hyka, who was drafted by the Kings as well. One must wonder about this league, where a 40 yr old Bednar is 4th in scoring.
Props to Kubalik.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
2 more tonight, he leads the OHL playoffs in goals and is top 5 in points. He's turning it on at a good time.

Looking good so far. Hoping to see him get a chance in the new system, because I don't think he would have had a chance playing the hard checking game long term with his smaller stature.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Wagner with a heck of a game tonight, Regina has tied the series at 3. Looks good for them, heading home with momentum.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
He has NHL speed no doubt, but time and space drop dramatically at the AHL level. Hope he is the real deal. Look forward to seeing him next year. Watson also has 10 goals in 11 games, but he is a much better passer than Wagner it seems.

Watson is an offensive machine, he has a wicket shot and sees the ice extremely well. He reminds me of Toffoli a little bit, but a better skater and not quite as good of a shot. The knock on him is obviously his size, but he's not really that small. If he put on 20 pounds, he be about the size of Mike Richards.

Wagner has world-class speed and pretty good vision, but nothing on Watson's level. He's got an OK shot, nothing special. It's why he fell so far, if he had a top shot he would have been a top 10 pick. Those things can be developed, but wheels like he has cannot. He's made strides and by all accounts is a good learner, so he could surprise us all.

As good as Watson's shot is, Luff has the best shot and release of all the prospects, his shot reminds me of Carters. Extremely fast release and it gets on the goalie quickly. He can pick corners, has a high IQ, and goes to the net. His problem so far has been injuries, when healthy he puts up numbers.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Suddenly, and even a bit under the radar, the Kings forward prospect pool is looking much better.

A year ago, it was pretty bleak. Amadio was showing promise with his big year in the OHL, and not much else going on. Spencer Watson had a big year, with over 100 points (playoffs included) but it's hard to call him a top prospect, due to his size. Brodzinski came on the last half of the year in Ontario, but hard to know if he would be a legit prospect, with an NHL future. Kempe had a mixed season, if not disappointing.

Fast forward to now. Amadio has played well in Ontario and looks to have an NHL future. Brodzinski has shown he can score goals and has developed in all areas. He looks to be an NHL player. Kempe has shown some improvement and looks to have an NHL future. It's just slower than we have hoped. Austin Wagner has emerged in the OHL, having now scored 40 goals (playoffs included) and has elite speed the Kings need. I expect the development team will help him even more in Ontario next year...Spencer Watson - still unknown due to size, but has lots of offensive skill. May have an NHL future, if he increases some weight and muscle, as well as has a good first pro season / transition to the AHL.

Matt Luff shows some promise. Mikey Eyssimont had a good season, leading St Cloud in scoring. He has a lot of offensive skill. Would not be surprised to see him sign after his upcoming Junior season. Signing Iverson bodes well. He may be a future replacement for Clifford / Nolan. Signing Iafallo is huge. Has the speed, skill, finishing ability to just need 1 season in Ontario.

And...I fully expect the Kings to select an impact forward at #10 (or whatever selection they end up with)

So, still not top elite echelon of forward prospects, but looking MUCH better
than 1 year ago.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Suddenly, and even a bit under the radar, the Kings forward prospect pool is looking much better.

A year ago, it was pretty bleak. Amadio was showing promise with his big year in the OHL, and not much else going on. Spencer Watson had a big year, with over 100 points (playoffs included) but it's hard to call him a top prospect, due to his size. Brodzinski came on the last half of the year in Ontario, but hard to know if he would be a legit prospect, with an NHL future. Kempe had a mixed season, if not disappointing.

Fast forward to now. Amadio has played well in Ontario and looks to have an NHL future. Brodzinski has shown he can score goals and has developed in all areas. He looks to be an NHL player. Kempe has shown some improvement and looks to have an NHL future. It's just slower than we have hoped. Austin Wagner has emerged in the OHL, having now scored 40 goals (playoffs included) and has elite speed the Kings need. I expect the development team will help him even more in Ontario next year...Spencer Watson - still unknown due to size, but has lots of offensive skill. May have an NHL future, if he increases some weight and muscle, as well as has a good first pro season / transition to the AHL.

Matt Luff shows some promise. Mikey Eyssimont had a good season, leading St Cloud in scoring. He has a lot of offensive skill. Would not be surprised to see him sign after his upcoming Junior season. Signing Iverson bodes well. He may be a future replacement for Clifford / Nolan. Signing Iafallo is huge. Has the speed, skill, finishing ability to just need 1 season in Ontario.

And...I fully expect the Kings to select an impact forward at #10 (or whatever selection they end up with)

So, still not top elite echelon of forward prospects, but looking MUCH better
than 1 year ago.

Like I said about a year ago, speed/skill doesn't just appear out of nowhere. You have to draft it, then you have to develop it.

Then you have to fight 29 soon to 30 other NHL teams, looking for the exact same thing, speed/skill/size.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
2 More goals for Watson today - that's 12 playoff goals now
an assist for Jacob Movaje in same game (apologies for spelling of name if wrong)

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Ken Campbell‏
@THNKenCampbell

College free agent Spencer Foo has met with 5 teams and could decide future by weekend. Philly, Edmonton, LA among teams interested.
----------------
This would be a huge get, not holding my breathe though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad